How To Tell If A 45 Is A Bootleg?

Guest Joey Collins

Guest Joey Collins

Hello everyone

I'm a relatively new soulie (only got the bug last year lol!) At only 20 I don't have a clue really when it comes to checking if a record is a bootleg or not though. I only want to collect original copies as I can imagine there's nothing worse than someone spinning a bootleg at a soulnight which cost them a tenner when you spent a couple 100 on the original recording! Anyway all advice is appreciated just want some more knowledge on when to be weary when buying cheap records. Anyway thanks.

JC x

Social source share

Hello everyone

I'm a relatively new soulie (only got the bug last year lol!) At only 20 I don't have a clue really when it comes to checking if a record is a bootleg or not though. I only want to collect original copies as I can imagine there's nothing worse than someone spinning a bootleg at a soulnight which cost them a tenner when you spent a couple 100 on the original recording! Anyway all advice is appreciated just want some more knowledge on when to be weary when buying cheap records. Anyway thanks.

JC x

So as Benji says buy the bootleg book and if it's not clear then post a thread on here, maybe there is one already you can check in search box. Good luck :thumbsup:  Small tip, be wary of UK Ebay sellers, most if not all US Ebay sellers are oK

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The problem with the bootleg guides is that they cover mainly those issued in the 70s/80s but there have been many in more recent times.

If you buy from reliable dealers, they make it explicit if record is a bootleg/reissue and you can trust what they say: Pete Smith, Manship, Anglo American, Henry Atkinson  etc.  More risky buying on eBay from individuals, who may not even know the difference themselves.

Edited by AlanB
Social source share

Hello everyone

JC x

First of all well done on your attitude to collecting you are on the right path.As your collection grows you will be glad you bought originals and you can play them out with a bit of pride and integrity.Dont chase the same old oldies to copy what that they all play but buy what gets to you personally.The Manship fifth edition with the bootleg guide is the one to get it has helped me several times.Oh and dont spend too much with the top dealers often the lads on here or at venues can fix you up a lot cheeper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Good luck Joey!   Loads and loads of knowledge here to be used as said above. As a thumb rule if it has been big on the northern scene past or present it has definitely been booted or reissued at some stage. Even harder today with lookalike newly pressed copies for almost everything so always double check if you are unsure.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Joey Collins

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've been using discogs quite a lot recently bought double o soul by Edwin Starr was an original copy on rictic. The same with Stoned Love by the supremes on Tamla. If someone could recommend me a fair dealer I'd really appreciate that. I've inquired about buying looky looky by the ojays on discogs but my gut feeling is telling me to check if it's a bootleg or not. Anyway here's the photo if anyone could confirm it's an original copy I'd really appreciate that thanks.

post-34432-0-99323400-1425046694_thumb.j

Social source share

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've been using discogs quite a lot recently bought double o soul by Edwin Starr was an original copy on rictic. The same with Stoned Love by the supremes on Tamla. If someone could recommend me a fair dealer I'd really appreciate that. I've inquired about buying looky looky by the ojays on discogs but my gut feeling is telling me to check if it's a bootleg or not. Anyway here's the photo if anyone could confirm it's an original copy I'd really appreciate that thanks.

There's no bootleg of this Joey, you're safe.

Things like Stoned Love sold millions of copies so are all going to be cheap originals.  Unless you buy a proper reissue of course.

Just ask on here, someone will always help you out.  Don't need to see a picture, just describe it and say whats in the run out grooves.

Social source share

Good luck Joey , it can be a really rewarding pass time if you get it right . Don't worry if you make the odd mistake , we've all done it , even the best collectors . My advice to you is enjoy it and DON'T let it take over your life or your finances , you're young and have plenty of time to learn .

p.s , Sales list being post next week :wink: only joking.

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

I've only been collecting original vinyl for a year or so myself.... I have loads of CD compilations and swore to myself I wouldn't bother with vinyl due to the money that can be involved, but somehow caught the bug.... Any time I want to buy a record, I look on this website, check the priceguide/bootleg guides and generally try and do a bit of research.... There's a lot of affordable fantastic soul music you can obtain from £3-£50 which isn't "in demand" and therefore hasn't been bootlegged. I personally don't see the point of paying £400 for a well known track that has been played to death and is available on every £5 Asda compilation, unless you need it to DJ with..... Be very careful on Ebay... Any 45 that seems seems cheap and too good to be true is probably counterfeit. You can however sometimes get lucky buying from America... Especially when an item finishes in the early hours on a weekday when most people are in bed or has been listed badly and spelt wrong!! Dealers are good for expensive, rare items, but you can find most other records cheaper elsewhere.

Social source share

What they all said!... just one thing:

In the past I've bought a few that I thought were original first issues but turned out to be second issues.

For example Mitch Ryder - You Get Your Kicks on New Voice from Johnny Manship. Turned out to be a '68 re-release, not the '66 original (which was a B side). Didn't do my research.

Same with Carl Carlton - Why Don't they Leave Us Alone - was re-released 4 years later in '72 - that's the one I ended up with without realising.

...and watch out for OKeh's with small '45's - with a few exceptions these are 70's legitimate represses.

At least they're not bootlegs so that's good enough for me.

SoulfulKindaMusic is pretty good for label discographies (and artist discographies) so you can see which was issued first.

Good luck pal, nothing beats the thrill!

Edited by SoulStu
Social source share

Guest Waggy

Simple piece of advice from me. Just buy what you like.

Well said that man. All the advice is sound but that is the golden nugget............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!