Empty Dancefloor - Dj Reactions

Liamgp

You are either at the wrong event, or you are a shit Dj.  :lol:

Or just looking for amusing stories. Like Tony Rounce at the 100 Club sometime the early 80s

'You lot need your legs chopped off if you won't dance to this!'

Or a bloke who actually went and sat on the dance floor as some sort of protest at lack of interest.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Playing what you consider to be some great stuff to an empty floor surrounded by people talking and drinking. Do you:

Carry on and just play what you want to hear

Panic and start looking for sure-fire stuff in your box

Get on the mic and berate the crowd for their lack of taste

Burst into tears, storm off stage and vow never to DJ again

or...?

The last one !

Social source share

‘Panic’ ……..‘Burst into tears' (Internally)……’Carry on and just play what I want to hear’……then - 'storm off stage and vow never to DJ again’……

……..Until the next time…….. :D  

All the best,

Len ‘I may have a window’ Dopson :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I've said it before it isn't always the DJ's fault.  You/they could be booked to play a particular type of set but it is totally worng for the crowd, or much of the crowd but it is what the promoter wanted.

Halleluiah! that's it - 'Focus' Len........ :lol: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

In my experience over the years you would travel to hear tunes that certain djs would play.Now anyone can take a bunch of played out oldies & fill any dance floor.Surely the scene wasn't based on this ?or maybe it suits the masses.

Social source share

Come on Len.... educate us all please! :)

I wouldn't know 'where to begin' my friend :) 

I just know that it works for some with 'seemingly' the same records, whist it simply does not for others - I couldn't explain why, but I know when I see it  :wink: 

It's 'magic' init?

All the best,

P.s - Apologies if I come across as trying to be a clever tw*t - I'm so not, but I do know when it works.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It must be a Scottish thing !

Having grown up listening and travelling to see Keb Darge , Colin Law and the Walls Brothers I fully expected as a paying punter to be heckled, bullied and blatantly told to " Get on the f******g dancefloor " to which I duly did. , no questions asked !!!!

Can you imagine that nowadays !!!

I've heard 'these tales of old', and I envy those times. Jocko said to me once that he comes from a time when an empty dance floor was actually seen as a compliment - I fully understand that statement.

Good on ya mate :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Think Steve got the answer on No 4 of this thread.

No 4 - “As a Dj surely your there to play what the punters want not what you want to hear”

I say think again (meant in the nicest possible way) If anyone goes over the same ground (nice ground that it may be) over and over again, they will get bored of it in the end (human nature) So people trying to make things more interesting are just ‘trying to make things more interesting’

Whilst keeping it entertaining of course :wink:

Creativity is what makes things last.

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Simples. If you wouldn't dance to a record yourself don't play it

Steve

Mmm. OK. But my dancing wasn't anything that was a joy to behold. I'm too tall and gangly and for some reason I can't seem to co-ordinate that well to a fast rhythm, so the dancing thing was never that crucial to me. But I get your point...:)

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Playing what you consider to be some great stuff to an empty floor surrounded by people talking and drinking. Do you:

Carry on and just play what you want to hear

Panic and start looking for sure-fire stuff in your box

Get on the mic and berate the crowd for their lack of taste

Burst into tears, storm off stage and vow never to DJ again

or...?

or ?

Give Julian Bentley a ring as he has extensive experience of the phenomena you describe.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guaranteed to get a reaction every time

Love it - Saw him live at The 02 last year! (FFS don't tell anyone though!)

:lol: 

P.s - Nina's Dad's Birthday treat, but he couldn't make it at the last minute so I used his ticket, and yes I enjoyed it! lol We did have a f*ckin' laugh - Couldn't help but dance! :D 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!