The Salvadors

Not sure if this is the right section, or if this has been discussed before but is there a picture/photo of the group? Are they blue-eyed, Hispanic or Afro American? 

They sound like blue-eyed soulsters to me.

They are most definitely black, four of them.

Social source share

Can't see what difference it makes what colour they are! 

It should be is it a good record or not, based on the sound, not the colour of their skin!

You couldn't  get a blacker soul sound than Stax records. 

Steve Cropper who is white, did an enormous amount of work to create that sound!  That is one small example!

USA was a melting pot of different people, colours and cultures.  Black, White, Italian ,Jewish etc

60's/70's Soul music was created by a mix of USA cultures that all came together in the very late 50's onwards through the coming decades. 

That's why soul music was made in the USA and not Africa!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Can't see what difference it makes what colour they are! 

It should be is it a good record or not, based on the sound not the colour of their skin!

You could not get a blacker soul sound than Stax records and Steve Cropper who is white, did an enormous amount of work to create that sound!  That is one small example!

USA was a melting pot of different people, colours and cultures.

60's/70's Soul music was created by a mix of USA cultures that all came together in the very late 50's onwards through the coming decades. 

That's why soul music was made in the USA and not Africa!

he only asked a question!

Social source share

he only asked a question!

Well I haven't a lot on today!! 

But in truth he didn't just ask a question he also said he reckoned the Salvadors were a white group! Whatever that's supposed to mean!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Thanks for posting- I've never seen the Thor/ Nike promos before.

With a name like "The Yank", and posting in The UK's middle of the night, I assume you are located in USA.  Is that so?  I find it interesting that you know about a 1961 "poppish" release.  Almost nobody but a Chicagoan would know about Colbert's Thor Records.  Are you from Chicago?

Social source share

There should be an article on them which I wrote back in 2011

Check the archive on this site. It's somewhere as a 'news feature'

I checked the articles on the 11 pages in the News Section, and none of the titles listed "The Salvadors".  I'd like to read your article to see if it has anything I missed.  Can you please find it for us and direct us to it?

Social source share

With a name like "The Yank", and posting in The UK's middle of the night, I assume you are located in USA.  Is that so?  I find it interesting that you know about a 1961 "poppish" release.  Almost nobody but a Chicagoan would know about Colbert's Thor Records.  Are you from Chicago?

Right on both counts- I'm from the U.S. and live near the Windy City.

I didn't even know there was a Thor label before this ! 

Social source share

Right on both counts- I'm from the U.S. and live near the Windy City.

I didn't even know there was a Thor label before this ! 

Where exactly in Chicagoland do you live?  And how long have you been listening to Soul music?

Social source share

I checked the articles on the 11 pages in the News Section, and none of the titles listed "The Salvadors".  I'd like to read your article to see if it has anything I missed.  Can you please find it for us and direct us to it?

There should be an article on them which I wrote back in 2011

Check the archive on this site. It's somewhere as a 'news feature'

kev

here's a list of articles under your name

I can't find or recall an article about the salvadors

though there was this radio interview post....

and similar from Bob A 

was there more posted ?

cheers

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Whilst record hunting on the West Coast I came across a whole section of "Salvadores" records, unfortunately they were all by a local "Hispanic" group !

Which brings to my original question, didn't mean it to sound like a daft question but it was the name that threw me, it just sounded Hispanic and with the exposure on Elaine's NS film thought I'd start a thread about them as I never heard that much on them.

I thought they sounded blue-eyed (or maybe 'brown-eyed' which is another term I've heard used), but hey, people in the States thought the Righteous Brothers were Afro-Americans! I do collect blue-eyed/Carolina Soul myself and was just wondering if I should put the Salvadors on a blue-eyed CD compilation I was putting together for the car. Obviously now I know.

Thanks guys for all the great information. 

Social source share

Wonder if any group members are still around and know about their fame on the NS scene? Just imagine their faces if they were to watch Elaine's film! 

Flint Lloyd, still living in St. Louis found out about his group's fame when he was contacted by Bob Abrahamian for his interview about the group.  The one other group member is still alive, Robert Vincent, who now lives in Seattle.  He was contacted by Lloyd, and told about their Northern Soul fame.  Lloyd has a new group that appears at venues in the St. Louis Area.  I wonder if Bob A.  connected him with anyone in The UK that could have arranged for him to bring his new group to Britain to perform, (especially as Flint Lloyd was the lead on the two Wise World cuts)?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Robb- I found Flint and put him in touch with Bob A.

I declined bringing them into the UK as the lead singer is deceased plus there's only 1 or 2 originals remaining.

I thought Flint said in his interview that HE had sung lead on the Wise World cuts.  If so, why wouldn't his singing with a backup group be good enough?  Gus Winfield (deceased) was the original and main lead, sang lead on the Thor/Nike cuts.  But, I seem to remember that Flint said that HE, himself, sang lead on the Wise World cuts.

Now I see that I heard it incorrectly, as Donald Lloyd was the lead on the Wise World cut.  So, as Donald is deceased, and Flint is the only member of the group who still sings (Robert Vincent in Seattle, is retired), there was no demand to bring Flint and his new group to The UK.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!