Billy Butler

NOT GOOD NEWS I'M SORRY TO SAY FOLKS !

MR BILLY BUTLER IS VERY POORLY AND HAS BEEN GIVEN ONLY A FEW MONTHS MORE WITH US AS HE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER

THIS IS FROM THE FAMILY VIA A VERY CLOSE FRIEND , HIS FAMILY HAVE SAID IT IS OK TO LET EVERYONE KNOW.

HOPE EVERYONE WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR BILLY AND SUPPORT HIM .

BILLY HAS GIVEN US ALL SO MUCH PLEASURE AND ENRICHED OUR LIVES

WE'RE ALL THINKING OF YOU SIR !

ALSO SEE PREVIOUS POST BY PAUL WOOSNAM

(SORRY PAUL DIDN'T SEE POST)

Edited by bearsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Billy,

Thinking of you and all of the great music you made. Brilliant guitarist, singer (and backing singer) and composer. In all of these fields you excelled.  You helped make Chicago soul of the sixties so MAGICAL for me!.

Thank you so much. Fight like mad to stay around please.

Phil

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Back in 82 I use to play Right Track the instrumental then fade in the vocal so you had double Billy - Wirrina and The Fleet floor reaction was always the same packed out with the clapping.

One of the all time classic soul sounds that says Northern Soul 100%

thinking of you BB be strong , you gotta keep on going never looking back coz I belive that your on the right track

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The SECOND northern soul record i EVER bought, on okeh..since then a demo has materialized and resides in the playbox, an ever present...Probably THEE most iconic tune to grace the scene, literally a national anthem..yet just one offering amongst his catalogue of great tunes..always in the shadow of his more illustrious brother, but that's not to take away anything from him because the "Right Track" will always be his signature, the driving force that sends generations of elated soulies to the dance floor..may we all pray for a miracle, amen.

Social source share

Just wondering how many people started their curiousity into the N Soul scene after hearing Billy's Right Track I was one who heard this Iconic track at school & this plus a few others set me on The Right Track for a very awsome  journey ..  Very sorry to hear this news "Stay Strong Billy  & never give up "...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for all the posts soul source members.

Fitting for a real soul legend

On a personal note; 

Billly, we will always treasure the lovely times we spent together in Washington DC (and that breakfast in Chicago ! )

We wish you, Mattie, Jerry and all your family strength in the coming days.

Love you brother

Paul and Mandy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry to hear this, all the best to him.   

He's been one of my favourites going back to 1969 when I first hear Right Track.  Never tire of hearing his Okeh and Brunswick recordings, every one great.  

Edited by AlanB
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Billy,

I played Right Track at a gig in Western Australia last night.  It's the first record I go to if the dancefloor's flagging a bit and it worked a treat like it always does.

Loads of fingers crossed and our thoughts are with you down under.

Keep On

Pete

Social source share

It's quite incredible to contemplate how sometimes music touches the hearts and lives of so many people, not just at the time the music was created, but across generations, decades and continents. Billy, you're a man whose music has done exactly that.

Sending you best wishes and positive thoughts from the Netherlands. 

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Not good news. Have to say he was the first artist associated with the Northern Soul Scene I saw perform live in my old home-town Peterborough, around 1975. The scene classics are part of our personal DNA, and The Right Track is right up there in the top ten as far as 'records that define the genre' are concerned. Other Billy Butler records I loved and still love are Help Yourself, Sweet Darling, I'll Bet You, Come On Over To My Side and the fabulous ballad I Don't Want To Lose You, which is total class. Hope he gets to read some of these tributes. 

Edited by macca
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not good news. Have to say he was the first artist associated with the Northern Soul Scene I saw perform live in my old home-town Peterborough, around 1975. The scene classics are part of our personal DNA, and The Right Track is right up there in the top ten as far as 'records that define the genre' are concerned. Other Billy Butler records I loved and still love are Help Yourself, Sweet Darling, I'll Bet You, Come On Over To My Side and the fabulous ballad I Don't Want To Lose You, which is total class. Hope he gets to read some of these tributes. 

had the honour of introducing him that night Macca awesome act and lovely man...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just wondering how many people started their curiousity into the N Soul scene after hearing Billy's Right Track I was one who heard this Iconic track at school & this plus a few others set me on The Right Track for a very awsome  journey ..  Very sorry to hear this news "Stay Strong Billy  & never give up "...

I'm one that fits your description, at school first then my towns Top Rank. That guitar intro has to be one of the most recogniseable of all Soul records. I made special journeys down to Soul City records in the early 70's and always first asked "have you got Right Track in?".... Get well Billy :yes:

Social source share

Would this be the right forum to ask all promoters to request the respective DJ to play a Billy Butler tune at 10pm next Saturday out of respect and love for an artist who has given us all so much pleasure over the years.

I would hope a positive vibe could be felt by Billy on the other side of the pond and lift him. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Does Billy access this site Steve?

We have informed Terisa Griffin about this thread and how to access it. She is in regular contact with Billy and his family so would hope he will see it. Which is one of the reasons I started it after recieving permission from his family.

Thanks Paul

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Billy; A Great Talent ;singer ,song writer and performer,My favourite track; Tomorrow is Another Day" ,One you wrote and recorded for okeh records in 1965. In England you are a true Star to thousands of fans;"Buena Salud".

Social source share

wishing u well Mr Butler and cant forget' burning touch of love' another fave

and also aswell as the soul scene 'right track' was.is and always will be one of the biggest tunes on the 'scooter scene'..a scene playing all different types of music but right track will fill the dancefloor everytime at dozens of events every weekend

dean

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...