Simon Soussan Found

This may be a merger from the 'Will the real' thread.....but breaking news on Simon Soussan, the notorious, creative and often misunderstood character from the 70's.

He is alive and well. Ian Levine disclosed information to me a short while ago and it's pretty conclusive. I too have exchanged emails with the man.

Updates as we get them......

Are you allowed to divulge information on anybody in the witness protection programme?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Steve- That clearly needs a lot of thought. Very few know him personally so it probably would turn into a witch hunt. On the positive side, once everybody got to know him and his character, methinks he would be well received.

One thing's for sure, we are talking about a very knowledgeable individual right up there with the best of them.

One snippet of news I can give you is he's still interested in vinyl. He mentioned to Ian that he's looking for a 45 on Bell by Curtis, The Brothers called When Love Goes Wrong on Bell.

Anyone have it for sale?

Hopefully I can cease playing messenger, but while we try and coax him into the arena I'm happy to offer snippets of interest to members.

I've been reading about this guy on here...so interesting, a real character!

as for that record on Bell - I've got it. Its a Demo issue only, I think. 

Red text and a black text issue. 

The flip is a hot record called "you make everything better". I think its fairly expensive now. 

Social source share

This may be a merger from the 'Will the real' thread.....but breaking news on Simon Soussan, the notorious, creative and often misunderstood character from the 70's.

He is alive and well. Ian Levine disclosed information to me a short while ago and it's pretty conclusive. I too have exchanged emails with the man.

Updates as we get them......

Well done Kev

What a find... 

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One coming on my next list out 27th April - he can sign up for the list at www.soulstacks.com  :)

One snippet of news I can give you is he's still interested in vinyl. He mentioned to Ian that he's looking for a 45 on Bell by Curtis, The Brothers called When Love Goes Wrong on Bell.
Anyone have it for sale?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve- That clearly needs a lot of thought. Very few know him personally so it probably would turn into a witch hunt. On the positive side, once everybody got to know him and his character, methinks he would be well received.

One thing's for sure, we are talking about a very knowledgeable individual right up there with the best of them.

Anyone have it for sale?

Hopefully I can cease playing messenger, but while we try and coax him into the arena I'm happy to offer snippets of interest to members.

'Curtis, The Brothers' has been in-demand for at least fifteen years for the crossover side: the side SS is looking for is sort of weak white folk-pop. Good to know he still has his finger on the pulse.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

He's a born again Christian now Chris, all is forgiven…...apparently….all we need another has been harping on about the glory days…. :lol: Aren't there enough DVDs, interviews, talking heads etc. about this period already?  :shhh:

He's actually an orthodox Jew.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think it's very interesting he's around and I'd be glad to hear some genuine true stories but it's going to be incredibly hard to know if anything he says will be true. Unless he's had a major character transplant, it'll be smoke and mirrors and the gospel according to how he wants to portray it that week.

Totally agree Ady, which is why I said to Ian.....tread carefully. Simon is new to social media. The whole criticism thing might scare him to death lol

Social source share

I sincerely hope if SS joins the forum he is given respect, support and/or critical assessment as is the norm (without abuse).  

I would also like Ian Levine to make some contributions on here; their combined knowledge and experience would cast light into some of the shadows. Maybe both as Nom de plume? 

Just needs Kev to be very persuasive. :)

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think he's better off being slightly unreachable and enigmatic personally and I have the feeling he'll be perfectly happy with that. It suits him for a number of reasons I think. It's obvious he still has his taste for Northern Soul but also lots of other stuff too. Plus he's much more up-to-date with some below the radar singers then I am for sure, so he's still listening to lots of diverse stuff. I haven't communicated with him but he's thrown a few titles around, so the old fox is still active lol. I thought he was dead or in a Jewish version of a monastery or something....... :lol:

He did seem to want an MP3 of a song called "99 And A Half Wont Do" by a black girl group that I feel I should know but don't. Does that ring any bells with anyone on here (I don't think it's the Wilson Picket song....? :g:

Mind you, with a title like that, it could be another "Reaching For The Best" wind-up......... :lol:  

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I think he's better off being slightly unreachable and enigmatic personally and I have the feeling he'll be perfectly happy with that. It suits him for a number of reasons I think. It's obvious he still has his taste for Northern Soul but also lots of other stuff too. Plus he's much more up-to-date with some below the radar singers then I am for sure, so he's still listening to lots of diverse stuff. I haven't communicated with him but he's thrown a few titles around, so the old fox is still active lol. I thought he was dead or in a Jewish version of a monastery or something....... :lol:

He did seem to want an MP3 of a song called "99 And A Half Wont Do" by a black girl group that I feel I should know but don't. Does that ring any bells with anyone on here (I don't think it's the Wilson Picket song....? :g:

Mind you, with a title like that, it could be another "Reaching For The Best" wind-up......... :lol:

Ian D :D

I know the old break dance soundtrack has a song fitting the title , carol Lynn something on polydor ?? Simon had dealings with polydor I think ?
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I know the old break dance soundtrack has a song fitting the title , carol Lynn something on polydor ?? Simon had dealings with polydor I think ?

Yeah, that's probably the one dammit. Bloody awful but he likes brash bold songs........

Carol Lynn Townes "99 And A Half Won't Do"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvzV0RnEPf0

No wonder I couldn't place it lol.....

Well spotted that man!  :thumbsup:

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, that's probably the one dammit. Bloody awful but he likes brash bold songs........

Carol Lynn Townes "99 And A Half Won't Do"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvzV0RnEPf0

No wonder I couldn't place it lol.....

Well spotted that man! :thumbsup:

Ian D :D

Ok I own up, I have this on the flip of Chris the glove taylor 12" reckless.

Didn't know it was on the flip tho !

Collecting breaks n funk as well as soul music helped out here.

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

First a london issue of Darrell Banks .......Now Simon Soussans been found........just needs Elvis to turn up and my lifes complete :yes:

First a london issue of Darrell Banks .......Now Simon Soussans been found........just needs Elvis to turn up and my lifes complete :yes:

Elvis to turn up ? i'm all shook up

Social source share

Ian , Alton McLain did it in 79 and they were connected to the LA music scene ! I'd say that's the one Simon was after and probably in some way linked to the group Krystal ??

That makes even more sense. Yep, it's gotta be that one as he was at Polydor in that period with Arpeggio. Will You Tube it when I get to the office and check.....

Good call. The Carole Lynn Townes record was pushing it even for him lol.....

Ian D :)

Social source share

Thanks to Mr. Soussan, so many of the scene's best and most iconic records got booted so quickly that they were sometimes only played for a few weeks and then dropped.  I can't think that was a good thing.  We burned up a lot of great stuff so quickly.

Thanks to Mr. Soussan, so many of the scene's best and most iconic records got booted so quickly that they were sometimes only played for a few weeks and then dropped.  I can't think that was a good thing.  We burned up a lot of great stuff so quickly.

I'll second that. Some of those Selectadisc pressings were out before we even knew the records in some cases.....

Ian D :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!