Bishop Auckland Rugby Club Rare Soul

Pleasure Col, great to hear them again.  Really was some great music played back then.  Tip my hat to you and Al and a few other promoters who swam against the tide of mediocrity  that was engulfing the scene back then  :hatsoff2:

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Bishop Auckland nights were great.

Andy Rix, Rob Marriot, Kitch, Ion, Frank G, Dean A, Dickie W. Gary Spencer, Andy Dyson were just some of the regular DJs.

They were playing stuff that wouldn't be heard in the 'main' venues until years later. I heard The Martiniques, King George, James Bell ages before they became popular, but even with a year head start I still couldn't find any of them.

Some great laughs as well, Andy Rix trying to DJ after way too many Budweisers, Dickie dropping Gwen Owens and it rolling the full length of the dancefloor without him even noticing.

We would usually all end up at John and Sandra's house afterwards, it was a great opportunity to buy some great records from some very pissed DJ's.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

This is great stuff. My hometown. Unfortunately I wasn't born until 1985, so this is the first time i've heard any of this stuff. Great that there are some tapes available!

Social source share

Great nights up there. Used to travel from Doncaster with John Phillips & Neil Toplis. Great atmosphere and great records played. We was desperate to hear something new and this place didnt let us down. We were like youngsters again, asking what the record was, who it was by, what label it was on, trying to look at it on the turntable - brilliant nights. Now what have we got, except for one or two venues - Boring Boring Boring. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Before the nights moved to the rugby club they were at the cricket club. The Djs were the same but the room was much smaller. When a new record was played it would get passed around the room and eventually end up back at the decks. Happy times.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mrs M

Great nights and memories. Went to both the Cricket Club and Rugby Club. Always back to Alan Coney's after for a brew that lasted until the following afternoon before setting off home. Spent many a time in the company of Dean, Kitch, Franc, Guy and those young Scottish boys, Lenny, Jim and Mark. A young shy lass who was a vinyl addict and one of the lads...

Social source share

I went to most of the nights at the Rugby club and previously at the Cricket club.

Great music and the venue was full of collecter/dj's who wanted to play what they wanted, not just to keep a dance floor full.   I did learn a lot of records there and got to know a lot of great people.

Always good to go back to little John's house afterwards, to carry on with the night!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!