Audiophile Advise Thorens Td 160 > Soul 45S

Traded the old Technics MK2 for a Thorens TD 160 turntable. The Thorens however comes without cell and needle. Any of you fine lads with advise on a good cell and especially needle for this deck? I'm hardly technical and don't know much about frequencies etc. so would really love some feedback from an audiophile. We listen a lot of harmony soul and value vocal performance without losing that "oomph" in the rhythm section. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by soulfulsevens
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Shure carts used to be the thing, do not know what u mean by a 'cell'?, unless you refer to a cartridge, I run a Rega RB300 arm with a Grado moving coil cartridge comes with stylus inc on an original Dunlop Systemdek.

TD160 was original 'sprung suspension' remember buying one for £26 back in 1972, what do they go for now? a BLOODY lot I would think, expensive kit to play singles on, I'm a soul/rock fan (soul > to hippy > to soul) so I play a lot of heavy stuff, BUT Shure carts were always no.1 choice back in the day, pm me if you need more info re system/amps etc.

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Shure carts used to be the thing, do not know what u mean by a 'cell'?, unless you refer to a cartridge, I run a Rega RB300 arm with a Grado moving coil cartridge comes with stylus inc on an original Dunlop Systemdek.

TD160 was original 'sprung suspension' remember buying one for £26 back in 1972, what do they go for now? a BLOODY lot I would think, expensive kit to play singles on, I'm a soul/rock fan (soul > to hippy > to soul) so I play a lot of heavy stuff, BUT Shure carts were always no.1 choice back in the day, pm me if you need more info re system/amps etc.

Thanks for reaching out! Yes by cell i mean cartridge. You were right! I settled on a Shure V15 type IV NOS.. so unused. Sounds fantastic! Got it for 90 quid which is a bargain considering it's collectable status. This thing tracks beautifully on 1g only. Don't think i can get a better "modern" cartridge for that price. Only catch is if the needle wears out it will be tuff to find a replacement. My TD160 is modified with a better arm, also Thorens, and heavier base plate. They indeed fetch quite some hefty price tags but here in Belgium they seem to be more common and an easy find at about 150 to 200 quid. Can't find a modern TT with such great performance for that price either me thinks. In any case i'm verry happy and would recommend this combo to anyone that wants to bring the best out his soul 45s without breaking the bank.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!