Are you confident it's an original or a modern look-a-like

There are so many convincing look-a-likes are being made that really look like the original records.

Unless you are an expert and can hold the record in your hands, it can be very hard to tell the difference.

Do you think that buyers will be losing confidence that any record is a real original, unless it is sold by a very reputable dealer?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

the informed will generally be able to spot an original.

the less informed should research or seek help, and tread with caution.

the uninformed, with more money than sense, will always buy regardless judging by some of what i've seen sold over the last couple of weeks, and one of those didn't even have a label :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JJ Lopez from TX

As a fairly new collector, I've had to rely on discogs, additional label info, matrix #s, etc. I do fear buying a reissue vs an original. I just recently realized that my copy of Le Cop "Move Your Body / Law" 12" single is in fact a 2009 press and not a 2nd, 1979 12" press. I still love the record but that now puts me back on the hunt for an original press. Looking closely, the 79 press includes both publishing and copy-right insignias. 

Edited by JJ Lopez from TX
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 January 2016 at 20:59, solidsoul said:

There are so many convincing look-a-likes are being made that really look like the original records.

Unless you are an expert and can hold the record in your hands, it can be very hard to tell the difference.

Do you think that buyers will be losing confidence that any record is a real original, unless it is sold by a very reputable dealer?

If I ever brought off someone say £100 plus and it was advertised as original etc etc , and when it arrived it was a snide copy, I would politely ask for a refund and send the record back - if not I would hunt him down and stab him - end of 

Edited by ZoomSoulBlue
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 January 2016 at 22:43, Steve G said:

Which one? 

Pm sent

On 14 January 2016 at 17:55, ZoomSoulBlue said:

If I ever brought off someone say £100 plus and it was advertised as original etc etc , and when it arrived it was a snide copy, I would politely ask for a refund and send the record back - if not I would hunt him down and stab him - end of 

I did but lost postage both ways ,better than owning a fake decribed as orig tho.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

there`s a guy on Evil bay at the moment who is listing records with printed labels off original copies, and is obviously sticking original looking labels on them. He does state they are not original, and seems to be making a pretty penny out of this. I cant help but thinking, surely this must be illegal, and a breach of copyright or can anybody do this. Some reissues on there that make £5, put another label on and they make £50. Not a bad way of making money if you ask me.

Social source share

1 hour ago, joesoul1958 said:

there`s a guy on Evil bay at the moment who is listing records with printed labels off original copies, and is obviously sticking original looking labels on them. He does state they are not original, and seems to be making a pretty penny out of this. I cant help but thinking, surely this must be illegal, and a breach of copyright or can anybody do this. Some reissues on there that make £5, put another label on and they make £50. Not a bad way of making money if you ask me.

Should be strung up by the gonads, just shows how desperate people are to Dj.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Quinvy said:

Should be strung up by the gonads, just shows how desperate people are to Dj.

Totally agree with you, surely this is an infringement on copyright. And it totally should be against EBay policy I would have thought, by letting so called people sell what I deem to be unlawful. Let's not forget they take there percentage, so much deceit going on, as long as there is a quick buck to be made.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As Mr Levine, said on the Email he sent, on the soul packs debate. Alan Hamilton that's the guys name on EBay. Only reason people buy these records with the phoney labels is to deceive other people, or paying members of the public at northern events around the country, into thinking they are listening to original tracks. Shame on you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 26/01/2016 at 15:59, joesoul1958 said:

Totally agree with you, surely this is an infringement on copyright. And it totally should be against EBay policy I would have thought, by letting so called people sell what I deem to be unlawful. Let's not forget they take there percentage, so much deceit going on, as long as there is a quick buck to be made.

Edited by BazFromThePast
Social source share

On 14/01/2016 at 17:55, ZoomSoulBlue said:

ay caramba

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!