Who The Heck Is Cynthia Brown?

Guest martinsbox

Guest martinsbox

I've had this record for what seems ages now. I can't find anything out about this brilliant female singer, or the label. Can anyone help??

Martin

Out of over 850 plays no person has rated this 45 . . . does anyone actually like this top rate tune ?? I would like to know!! wub.gifCan anyone on this site actually reccomend a tune that comes anywhere near to perfection that no one else knows, or that has NEVER been played or put on c.d. ? Vote for YOUR tune.

post-2262-1171734364_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

I've had this record for what seems ages now. I can't find anything out about this brilliant female singer, or the label. Can anyone help??

Martin

Out of over 850 plays no person has rated this 45 . . . does anyone actually like this top rate tune ?? I would like to know!! wub.gifCan anyone on this site actually reccomend a tune that comes anywhere near to perfection that no one else knows, or that has NEVER been played or put on c.d. ? Vote for YOUR tune.

Why dont you post a link to your clip,so we can judge thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Why dont you post a link to your clip,so we can judge thumbsup.gif

It's on the left under his avatar Ken.

<-----------------------

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

It's on the left under his avatar Ken.

Daft place to put it mellow.gif does he only listen to that clip whistling.gif cheers Matt.

<-----------------------

There you go,can listen to somethin`else now!!

Edited by ken
Social source share

• 8 years later...
Guest Cynthia Brown

Hi Martinsbox and Soulmac. This is Cynthia Brown the artist that recorded "Heaven Must Have Sent You" on the Qiana label. Not sure what information you need or is interested in. First Cynthia Sheeler and I are two different people. Several years ago while visiting this site there was some confusion. Folks thought we were the same person. We are both from New Orleans, LA (yes I do know her). We both sang on Bourbon Street and both our records were arranged by Wardell Quezergue. My record was written by the late Joseph Broussard. The same guy that wrote Mr. Big Stuff for Jean Knight (also from New Orleans). My particular record was recorded at SeaSaint Recording Studio in 1978. I lived and sang in New Orleans with several bands until 1980. Then I moved to California where I still reside. Heaven Must Have Sent you was the only recording of mine. I still sing a little for special occasions. If I can answer any other questions for you please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for the interest. 

Social source share

Hi Martinsbox and Soulmac. This is Cynthia Brown the artist that recorded "Heaven Must Have Sent You" on the Qiana label. Not sure what information you need or is interested in. First Cynthia Sheeler and I are two different people. Several years ago while visiting this site there was some confusion. Folks thought we were the same person. We are both from New Orleans, LA (yes I do know her). We both sang on Bourbon Street and both our records were arranged by Wardell Quezergue. My record was written by the late Joseph Broussard. The same guy that wrote Mr. Big Stuff for Jean Knight (also from New Orleans). My particular record was recorded at SeaSaint Recording Studio in 1978. I lived and sang in New Orleans with several bands until 1980. Then I moved to California where I still reside. Heaven Must Have Sent you was the only recording of mine. I still sing a little for special occasions. If I can answer any other questions for you please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for the interest. 

Hello Cynthia, and thanks for coming on here (a few times now) and giving us some first hand information. It is always great when an artist provides us with more background to their recordings, and also to find out a little bit about what was going on in their lives at the time, as well as what they decided to to afterwards.

The previous comments on this thread are eight years old now, but I missed it before, so I've just listened to your 'Heaven Must Have Sent You' track for the first time. Really classy 'feelgood' 70's number, and, of course, wonderful vocals! Shame it was your only cut, although I assume there's something on the b-side too.

Perhaps you could let us know what it was like in the studio at the time, and doing gigs around New Orleans with your bands? You must have a few interesting stories!

Once again, thank you. Oh, and don't stop singing ...  :wink:

Peter

Social source share

Guest Cynthia Brown
On 2/26/2015 at 23:11, Peter Richer said:

Hello Cynthia, and thanks for coming on here (a few times now) and giving us some first hand information. It is always great when an artist provides us with more background to their recordings, and also to find out a little bit about what was going on in their lives at the time, as well as what they decided to to afterwards.

The previous comments on this thread are eight years old now, but I missed it before, so I've just listened to your 'Heaven Must Have Sent You' track for the first time. Really classy 'feelgood' 70's number, and, of course, wonderful vocals! Shame it was your only cut, although I assume there's something on the b-side too.

Perhaps you could let us know what it was like in the studio at the time, and doing gigs around New Orleans with your bands? You must have a few interesting stories!

Once again, thank you. Oh, and don't stop singing ...  :wink:

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'll do my best to try and remember what it was like back when I recorded "Heaven Must Have Sent You". Yes, there is a "B" side entitled "One Step Too Many". It is a slow bluesy song. Actually it is my favorite but they pushed "Heaven" because of its disco sound. What I do remember is there were bands and singers coming out of the woodwork in New Orleans. The popular bands had their home spots (Nightclubs). When I was singing with the band "Quiet Storm" our spot was a club owned by former New Orleans Saints football player Ernie Wheelwright. The name of the club was "The Zodiac Club".

Everybody's dream at that time (70's) was to make it to Bourbon Street. I sang at the 544 Club on Bourbon Street then later moved on to LaStrada's Nightclub on Bourbon Street. While singing at LaStrada's I managed to hook back up with the band "The Soul Sensations". When I first started singing with bands "The Soul Sensations" was my first band. We were all teenagers then. Our drummer Gary Nabonne was only twelve, his brother Warren (guitar player) was fifteen, Renauld Lewis (bass)was fourteen or fifteen, Emmit Collins (sax) was about fourteen or fifteen, Larry (trumpet) about fifteen. I was the oldest of the group at age sixteen. The dads Mr. Lewis and Mr. Nabonne would drive us to our gigs.

Okay getting back to the 70's. Some of your primary female vocalist were: Marilyn Barbarin, Connie Whitfield, Cynthia Sheeler, myself and a few others. What I like about New Orleans musicians is everybody respected each others work. Its nothing to walk into a club of your peers and sit in with them, it was encouraged. It was at LaStrada's that we were the warm up band for Clarence "Frogman" Henry. This is also where I met Marvin Gaye. The song "Let's Get It On" was popular then. And yes he sat in with my band and I got a kiss from him :-) Everybody was cutting records then and Wardell was arranging most of them if not all. I actually auditioned for him when I was a teen. He told me to come back after high school. Less then ten years later he was arranging my songs.

I was blessed to have an opportunity to sing with so many different bands and meet so many beautiful people. I'll try to remember the bands names: The Soul Sensations, Stone Mountain (funny story here, I use to sing the Minnie Ripperton song "Loving You" however when I got to the high part my trombone player would hit the note for me) Nature, Quiet Storm, Associated Press, Concept Band and lastly Tommy Ridgely and the Untouchables. Tommy Ridgley was a famous New Orleans Artist. I sang in New Orleans until 1980 when I moved to California. Still sing a little. Take care.

Edited by Cynthia Brown
Made some corrections.
Social source share

Well, I for one am glad this thread has been resurrected - or else i might never have gotten to hear the classy 'Heaven Must Have Sent You'.. And I want one!! 

It is also a great honour and pleasure to have the artist responsible as a member on this forum.

I must admit had I come across a copy of this 45 I would have bought it 'blind' anyway - simply because Wardell's name is on the credits! Not only a great talent himself, but with a talent for spotting talent!! And Cynthia, you most definitely are talented and it is such a great pity your vocal prowess is available on only the one vinyl 45.

Did you by chance record much other stuff, that for whatever reason(s) never found it's way onto vinyl? If that were the case it would certainly be nice to hear a selection of 'unissued' material, and more of your super classy vocals - if some were to exist in either master tape or acetate format. 

Either way - thank you for the Qiana release.. It is one I will be looking out for now  :yes:

Edited by FickleFingers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Cynthia Brown

Well, I for one am glad this thread has been resurrected - or else i might never have gotten to hear the classy 'Heaven Must Have Sent You'.. And I want one!! 

It is also a great honour and pleasure to have the artist responsible as a member on this forum.

I must admit had I come across a copy of this 45 I would have bought it 'blind' anyway - simply because Wardell's name is on the credits! Not only a great talent himself, but with a talent for spotting talent!! And Cynthia, you most definitely are talented and it is such a great pity your vocal prowess is available on only the one vinyl 45.

Did you by chance record much other stuff, that for whatever reason(s) never found it's way onto vinyl? If that were the case it would certainly be nice to hear a selection of 'unissued' material, and more of your super classy vocals - if some were to exist in either master tape or acetate format. 

Either way - thank you for the Qiana release.. It is one I will be looking out for now  :yes:

Thank you for your kind words FickleFingers. Unfortunately "Heaven" was my only vinyl and finished product. I am sure I have some homemade tapes around here somewhere. But nothing as polished as "Heaven". I did try to get the masters on a couple of occasions. I was told they were destroyed. I wish you luck on trying to obtain the record. Its kind of hard to find these days. Take care.

Social source share

When I was singing with the band "Quiet Storm" our spot was a club owned by former New Orleans Saints player Ernie Wheelwright. The name of the club escapes me right now as its been so long ago.

Cynthia,

Was the band Quiet Storm connected in any way to the group with the same name who had some records released on the Tamla (Motown) label around 1980 and produced by Smokey Robinson ?

R-6618157-1423205582-1419.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Guest Cynthia Brown

Also had this record for many years, always play it out when asked to DJ. Will be played at WHITBY for sure this July.

Mick Perrins.

Bless your heart. Thank you Mick.

Social source share

Guest Cynthia Brown

Cynthia,

Was the band Quiet Storm connected in any way to the group with the same name who had some records released on the Tamla (Motown) label around 1980 and produced by Smokey Robinson ?

R-6618157-1423205582-1419.jpeg.jpg

Social source share

Guest Cynthia Brown

Sunnysoul, no this was a different band. It seems "Quiet Storm" was/is a popular name for several bands. If memory serves me right, it was Smokey's song "Quiet Storm" that the band was named after.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Great record ,i was lucky enough to get a copy off  the late Sepia(Aka Steven R) . I believe there was only 300 pressed but maybe Cynthia can confirm. I agree with other members on here that it`s better to hear the facts from the artist :thumbsup:  :wave: .

Hopefully the record will get more exposure now and be given the status it deserves.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Cynthia Brown

Hi Hammersoul, thank you for your post. Okay, I had to go through some old files in order to answer your question. Good thing I kept records of the recording expenses. I found the original invoice from Ville Platte Record MFG Co. They pressed "Heaven Must Have Sent You" back in August of 1978. According to the invoice 1000 45rpmphono records were pressed. Qiana Records and Wardell Quezerque's name also appear on the invoice. By the way Qi'ana is my daughter's name. Thank you again for your interest :)

Social source share

Hi Hammersoul, thank you for your post. Okay, I had to go through some old files in order to answer your question. Good thing I kept records of the recording expenses. I found the original invoice from Ville Platte Record MFG Co. They pressed "Heaven Must Have Sent You" back in August of 1978. According to the invoice 1000 45rpmphono records were pressed. Qiana Records and Wardell Quezerque's name also appear on the invoice. By the way Qi'ana is my daughter's name. Thank you again for your interest :)

Brilliant information again Cynthia, and thanks once again for the time and effort in digging this stuff out. We are very lucky you kept these records, and more so that you still take such an interest. It is appreciated!

Peter

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for getting back to us re info Cynthia,i`m sure a few collectors after this 45 will be pleased there was more pressed  :thumbsup: .

Take care.  x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!