Tommy Neal -going To A Happening

Guest eedeecee

Guest eedeecee

which one of these releases is the first original pressing of 'going to a happening' by Tommy Neal??

And which release should I try to get??

Value??

thanks guys!

post-263-1188377624_thumb.jpg

post-263-1188377663_thumb.jpg

Edited by eedeecee
Social source share

Guest eedeecee

BRIGHT PINK Pameline label is by far the rarest format, if your looking for the rarest.

thnks JM, I am not looking for the rarest format but I try to find out which of both releases is the first original pressing.

In case Pameline bright pink version is the rarest I guess that the yellow version is the original pression, not the Palmer release

Social source share

which one of these releases is the first original pressing of 'going to a happening' by Tommy Neal??

And which release should I try to get??

Value??

thanks guys!

post-263-1188377624_thumb.jpg

post-263-1188377663_thumb.jpg

Don't forget it also came out on USA Vault.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

According to >>> Anoraks Corner <<<

The PaMeLiNe copy is the Local release.

The other Labels are National Release.

Vault_V-938a_DJ.jpgPalmer_P-5024-A_DJ.jpg

The PaMeLiNe Copy is the one I have yet to acquire.

The Pink rarer than the Yellow I believe.

Neither The Vault copy or the Palmer copy are easy though.

My guess is that being the Local release, it would be the PaMeLiNe copy that you are after.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

According to >>> Anoraks Corner <<<

The PaMeLiNe copy is the Local release.

The other Labels are National Release.

Vault_V-938a_DJ.jpgPalmer_P-5024-A_DJ.jpg

The PaMeLiNe Copy is the one I have yet to acquire.

The Pink rarer than the Yellow I believe.

Neither The Vault copy or the Palmer copy are easy though.

My guess is that being the Local release, it would be the PaMeLiNe copy that you are after.

listed a Pameline copy (yellow issue) month or two ago on Andy's list!! £80 I think.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

If memory serves me correctly the Pameline (yellow) record has the Palmer release number 5024 scratched in the run-out groove. This means the Palmer release is definatly the first of the two. Could someone check their Pameline copy and confirm.

Social source share

Because Vocalion licenced it from Vault without Popcorn's knowledge or permission.

Would that make it a boot then?

I interviewed Popcorn and he said he agreed a deal with Vault to licence it from him but he never got paid the agreed advance against royaltiies based on sales or any subsequent royatlties So as far as Richard is concerned they never had rights to release it in the USA or icence it to anybody else. Vault giving Vocalion label copy as a Vault Recording is a total piss take..but the Vocalion demo looks great doesn't it?

Neil

Social source share

So, why does the UK copy say 'A Vault Recording'....

I was replying to the original topic question of which one of these is first, the Palmer or the Pameline. He did not ask about the Vault release. No replies from anyone whether the Pameline copy has the Palmer release number scratched in the runout 5024. I think it proves Palmers the first of the two, but does not answer where the Vault release fits in, I admit.

Social source share

great topic,i too had not seen a pink copy.however i am in pittsburgh hunting tunes and getting my soul source fix from the local library.i go to a pre arranged meeting with a contact!!! and low and behold on top of one of the piles is a pink copy of said tune.anyhow its lovely thick vinyl with a nashville stamp and looks as legit as legit could be to me.i also think pameline is first issue with it being picked up by vault and palmer later.

Social source share

on top of one of the piles is a pink copy of said tune.anyhow its lovely thick vinyl with a nashville stamp and looks as legit as legit could be to me.

Mine has also got the Nashville Matrix stamp, is pressed on thick vinyl and sounds superb. Not that it has to mean anything, but I didn't get mine from Pittsburgh. Bought it at the same time as my yellow Pameline copy back in October 2001. The yellow one cost me $4 and the pink one cost me $8... :D Ah, the days of finding this kind of records by just doing a simple google search! :( It still happens from time to time, but they are fewer and farer inbetween. :P

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest eedeecee

Think thats about 40ish these days ? Not sure

No picture sleeves tho Eddy
sad.gif

Cheers Paul

thanks guys for all the info...

here's some more:

post-263-1189260912_thumb.jpg

This is one of the coolest northern soul records to come out of Pennsylvania in the '60s. There were several pressings with the first two being on Pameline (or PaMeLiNe), with a subsequent one on Vault and Palmer. This is the most sought-after of them all, the PINK version of "Goin' To A Happening" on Pameline 200

found on the Bay....

Social source share

great topic,i too had not seen a pink copy.however i am in pittsburgh hunting tunes and getting my soul source fix from the local library.i go to a pre arranged meeting with a contact!!! and low and behold on top of one of the piles is a pink copy of said tune.anyhow its lovely thick vinyl with a nashville stamp and looks as legit as legit could be to me.i also think pameline is first issue with it being picked up by vault and palmer later.

Well Pameline must have had a crystal ball to know the Palmer release No P 5024, and scratch it in the yellow Pameline run-out groove!!! It must have already existed on Palmer to know the numbers. Those numbers are concrete evidence.

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I have tried to put the issue into a timescale context.

I understand Pameline was a Popcorn Wylie label operating between 67 and 68. The UK label credits Wylie and Hestor (1968) with the tune and with it would go publishing rights; therefore, given the timescale I would have thought Wylie sold the Pameline rights to Vault who reissued the tune. I cant imagine the reverse with Wylie buying back his rights to issue a track on his own label within a couple of months of the Vault or Palmer issue can you?  

Tommy+Neal+-+Going+To+A+Happening.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Er I have the Palmer one - looks fab - see my profile pic :)

Coming back on this subject to make it clear in my head once and for all; I just saw that the flip side of the Palmer release is a tune named 'tomboy'. Whilst the Pameline and the Vault feature the rather mindless instrumental 'Tee Ta'

Is it playing the same thing on the Palmer or are they actually two different tunes ?

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Rightly or wrongly but from Martin Koppel's liner notes to "Popcorn's Detroit Soul Party"

Tommy Neal

A local club singer recorded "Going To A Happening" which was locally released on Popcorn's own label Pameline, and leased via a telephone call to Los Angeles based Vault records. Non-payment on contract royalties led to a lease out again on Palmer records. Unfortunately local success lead to a rise in Tommy's ego and a somewhat uncontrollable personality, which culminated in a no-show appeance on Robin Seymour's TV programmes which in turn led to a don't call us, we'll call you attitude by Popcorn and his contract was ended.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

The strangest thing of all is how it ever got released, one of the worst vocals you'll ever hear

Soul snob!

Its one of those where the sum of the parts works amazingly well, especially in a darkened room saturated with sweaty people, but looking at its consituent parts individually they wouldnt work, just like amyl nitrite!  Cmon Mr S, surely you can swing.

Any clue to the question, does it appear on early Wigan tapes?

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Soul snob!

Its one of those where the sum of the parts works amazingly well, especially in a darkened room saturated with sweaty people, but looking at its consituent parts individually they wouldnt work, just like amyl nitrite!  Cmon Mr S, surely you can swing.

Any clue to the question, does it appear on early Wigan tapes?

I think the backing track is great, but just can't get over his voice, especially at the end of the second verse when he tries for a note he can't reach.

This is way pre-Wigan Jock, it was played on it's UK release in 1968, hence there being a lot of UK Vocalion copies about.  Last release on the label I think.

Social source share

I think the backing track is great, but just can't get over his voice, especially at the end of the second verse when he tries for a note he can't reach.

This is way pre-Wigan Jock, it was played on it's UK release in 1968, hence there being a lot of UK Vocalion copies about.  Last release on the label I think.

He is certainly no Bobby Womack, or even Paul Anka, I will give you that. I always thought it was some sort of Vanity record to be honest until reading above, hadn't thought of the UK release angle, I assume that happened at same time.

its one of only two UK 45's I actually own (60's anyway)

Social source share

The yellow Pameline baring the Palmer catalogue number implies that the Palmer was prior. Even if I always have thought the other way around before reading this on here. The pink Pameline copy I have never hold to see what the matrix is made of. Nor have I heard it to listen to the "sound quality" of it. But as suggested by others here, it could be a contemporary boot to the yellow Pameline. So if we can agree that the date on the Palmer is correct (wich I believe it is), it is a 1967 release. Just like the Pameline is 1967. Now the Pameline could be the « stock Â» issue where the Palmer (promos only) would be the « promo Â» issue.

I believe that the UK Vocalion was actualy released very soon after the USA Vault issue was first released as being an "instant hit" in clubs and radios in the states. The UK Vocalion was issued in march 1968 it is said. So that puts most logically the USA Vault last on the new continent. But as to why were the Mike Terry’s arrangments credit left out for the Vault release, I don't know ?

Now about Martin Koppel's Popcorn's Detroit Soul Party notes (wich I don't question the reliability or the sources), it makes me wonder; why would such a group as Vault, Fat Fish, Venus... that kept on for few years would have royalties issues ? While on the other end Palmer records was really not keeping up for long or good there. Tommy Neal Palmer 5024 is the last one baring a date of release. After that they seem to go down and down to eventualy fade into the big sleep (1968 - gap - 1970 ?).

So without doubting Martin’s Koppel sources, quoting the notes from "Popcorn's Detroit Soul Party", I’d rather believe that there’s a « mix-up Â» on the labels from some old brain cell’s source. Like here ; Palmer records would have a « one shot deal Â» with Richard « Popcorn Â» Wilye to release Tommy Neal’s latest gig buzz-attraction. It passed through the promotional release (I have never seen a Palmer issue, has anyone ?) but for financial or promotional reasons the deal with Palmer was cancelled and they used the Palmer lacquer, as I understand now, to print the Pameline yellow issues. Then came the big break with the Vault deal. The Vault issues are not that rare really. Vault promo is harder.

I live in Belgium and the most I’ve seen is the bootleg on Vocalion, then the UK Vocalion. The Pameline is popping-up a lot from the states. But most copies are worned out. It was a good seller apparently. I had once in my hands the Palmer and I have never seen the pink Pameline but only on the net. I have no idea as to where to place the pink Pameline though. Bootleg ? What’s the matrix showing on that one as stamped, carved… anyone ?

Sometimes the second or even third issue are rarer than their predecessor(s) but in this case it makes total sense that it’s the other way around I read. 1) Palmer 2) Pameline (Y) 3) Vault 4) Pameline (P) ???

About Pete Smith complaint about Tommy’s « singing Â», I don’t relate to it but I do understand him. I had people giving me the very same appreciation on the « shouting & screaming Â» attitude in there as to where is the « soul Â» ? when I played it to potential buyer. I loved dit. I like it still and I also understand people with ears like Pete Smith who are allergic to Tommy Neal’s « voice Â».

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

So without doubting Martin’s Koppel sources, quoting the notes from "Popcorn's Detroit Soul Party", I’d rather believe that there’s a « mix-up Â» on the labels from some old brain cell’s source. Like here ; Palmer James would have a « one shot deal Â» with Richard « Popcorn Â» Wilye to release Tommy Neal’s latest gig buzz-attraction. It passed through the promotional release (I have never seen a Palmer issue, has anyone ?) but for financial or promotional reasons the deal with Palmer was cancelled and they used the Palmer lacquer, as I understand now, to print the Pameline yellow issues. Then came the big break with the Vault deal. The Vault issues are not that rare really. Vault promo is harder.

It's all very confusing mate and sometimes too much for my head to sort out. Also a bit confused with you suggesting above that Palmer was Palmer James' label when in the Al Greene thread you believed it wasn't.  I personally don't believe either that Palmer belonged to Palmer James. I go with Andy Rix's post in that thread .. post # 21 

Palmer James was at school with Al Greene and according to Greene "within a year or so of my class". Greene being born in 1946 and saying Palmer James was the same age give or take a year then that would have made him about 19 or 20 when Palmer label started up. In Al Greene's book it certainly doesn't come across as Palmer James being a biggish fish on the Detroit music scene at the time, but more of a "we were rehearsing after school every day"

From the below interesting article which goes along with Andy Rix's assessment

In 1965, Handleman's / Jay-Kay decided to start their own label and so Palmer Records came into being.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?4799-Pan-American-amp-Jay-Kay-Record-Distributors-Detroit

:thumbsup:

Social source share

What a fantastic Northern Soul record, actually a truly great, moody 60's soul record.

When was this first played and where?

Agree Jock. Fantastic!

Must have been played on the scene almost from the get go (67/68). It was released in the UK around the same time as Rodger Collins 'She's Looking Good' and I knew of both of those in 1970. In fact everybody round these parts seemed to have both records in their collection. They were both played at the Wheel for sure as I got my copy from a guy who picked up all the Wheel sounds. Was a pretty big record in the local clubs here long before I'd heard of Northern Soul. Still bloody love it!

Sean

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Agree Jock. Fantastic!

Must have been played on the scene almost from the get go (67/68). It was released in the UK around the same time as Rodger Collins 'She's Looking Good' and I knew of both of those in 1970. In fact everybody round these parts seemed to have both records in their collection. They were both played at the Wheel for sure as I got my copy from a guy who picked up all the Wheel sounds. Was a pretty big record in the local clubs here long before I'd heard of Northern Soul. Still bloody love it!

Sean

I started collecting in '68, and you could still order both of these from your local record shop. Everyone seemed to gave them back then

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!