Any Info On Stomp Town Records N.y

Guest SteveJohnston

Guest SteveJohnston

Hi All

Can anyone provide information on the New York record label Stomp Town records, I have been looking for info and came up with very little!

An Email from the R&B foundation USA came back saying:-

Unfortunately, the Rhythm & Blues Foundation does not have any information on the Stomp Town Music Record Company. Indiana University in Bloomington, Illinois has an extensive department/library dedicated to African American Music. Although I'm not certain if they have the information you desire, I strongly suggest you contact them. At the least, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Email from the IU Bloomington came back with:

All we've heard of is a late '50s NY label called Stomper Time which had the group Willie Mitchell & The Four Kings [at least two very rare 45s]. This label May [or may not] have become Stomp Town in the '60s

Regards, Manny at DMG

The two records I know are

you've lost your soul" st101A "just do the best you can" st101b,

by Duke & Leonard, Penned by McKenzie - Smith, arranged by Casey -

Jones, produced by Doo Dat Productions

"hate's growing stronger" By Big & the Evolution sad to say no

more info on this track.

Steve J

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I'm stll looking for info on this one anyone!

I've just about been though all the back mags i have and spent hours on the net and come up with nothing! :unsure:

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm stll kooking for info on this one anyone!

I've just about been though all the back mags i have and spent hours on the net and come up with nothing! :unsure:

I can only sympathise Steve, i'm afraid. I've had the same problem with Port. You'd think it'd be easy to find something these days with the internet and all that. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I can only sympathise Steve, i'm afraid. I've had the same problem with Port. You'd think it'd be easy to find something these days with the internet and all that. :unsure:

Hi Matt

As i've been looking at back blues & souls ext ext i'm sure i've seen a page on the port label will see if i can find it for you!

Steve J

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Thanks Paul, i've got a discography from Dave Rimmer's site. What i can't find is any history about the label, owners, personnel etc...

All i know is it's a New York label, a part of Jay Gee Recording Co. which was a part of Cosnat Records, headed by Jerry Blaine, who also had Jubilee and Josie on their books and went out of business in 1970.

Anyway, not my thread. Sorry Steve. Thanks again Paul :unsure:

Social source share

I can only sympathise Steve, i'm afraid. I've had the same problem with Port. You'd think it'd be easy to find something these days with the internet and all that. :unsure:

Port was a jubilee sub-label, not a small label at all. What are you trying to find out about Port?

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest SteveJohnston

I'm stll looking for info on Stomptown! anyone out there know anything at all?

I've looked at the Stomper Time Records lable and can't find any links to StompTown at all, saying that i would not mind a listen to the two Willie Mitchell & The Four Kings tracks!

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• 4 years later...

I've got the Big Al & The Evolution, in fact I think I used to play it in the 80s, I just dug it out of the garage and wondered what it was worth and can't find any reference to it on the net or Manships, it must be rarer than I thought, will maybe give it another spin if it still sounds good. Ah just seen there was one auctioned in 2011 and one set saled on here in 2009; not very common though

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm stll looking for info on Stomptown! anyone out there know anything at all?

I've looked at the Stomper Time Records lable and can't find any links to StompTown at all, saying that i would not mind a listen to the two Willie Mitchell & The Four Kings tracks!

Steve J

Ha, the 2009 copy on here looks like it went to you Steve; maybe you were hoping there was a Stomp Town 103?

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Ha, the 2009 copy on here looks like it went to you Steve; maybe you were hoping there was a Stomp Town 103?

I wish Ady! I did PM the seller very quickly after it listed but was informed it had gone!! Never found one since & never stopped looking.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Ady I have an email at home from a guy that lived in Stanton Street across from Hamilton park NY that told me he was sure there four 45's on Stomptown & he was going go let me know if he came across any, but nothing found yet! or he's supplying others!!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I saw the message about the PM so thought you must have grabbed it. An elusive sound! If you need the info on it I can post it up. Ady

I saw the message about the PM so thought you must have grabbed it. An elusive sound! If you need the info on it I can post it up. Ady

You could sell it me Ady!!:-)

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Yes lots of times an old friend has one & he put it on a tape for me back in the late 70's it came from a Soul pack!!

I know you played it back in the early 80's I think it was Billy Mailey from Wigan that told me a few years ago Ady.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

It`s not even on YouTube........ :g: ......not much if anything about it on the interweb!

It`s not even on YouTube........ :g: ......not much if anything about it on the interweb!

Steve the only person I know that had one was a mate from Wigan & now the one Ady is thinking of playing again, It did get a revue in a soul mag (soul up north or similar) a few years ago around 99 I think, I have a sound file at home now converted to CD from a TDK tape. Its a brill up-tempo track I've been looking an age for but just about give up on finding now!!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

The Evolution 45 was reviewed in the 2004 ( I think, last issue of Shades of Soul) by Brian Goucher.

It's a right bastard to find, I've been looking for ten years:(

Jim.

I was trying to think about the revue Jim, thanks it's saved me trying to dig it out  :wink:

tell me about it being a hard bastard!!!  :D

Social source share

I doubt that there was ever any link between Stomper Time records and Stomp Town Records.  I never would have even thought of that just because the word "stomp" is in the company name.

Jay-Gee Records was The jubilee/Josie Record co. group's distributor.  Yes, Jerry Blaine owned both.  the individual labels were NOT owned by blaine,, just as Jamie/Guyden didn't own all the labels they distributed.  Blaine DID own Port Records, along with Jubilee and Josie.   I'm sure that Blaine did not own Stomp Town records.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Thanks Robbk

With the (May/May not) in the email from Manny at DMG I was never sure if a link could be found! I've looked at credits on the two labels & found no link at all.

Social source share

Hi All

Can anyone provide information on the New York record label Stomp Town records, I have been looking for info and came up with very little!

An Email from the R&B foundation USA came back saying:-

Unfortunately, the Rhythm & Blues Foundation does not have any information on the Stomp Town Music Record Company. Indiana University in Bloomington, Illinois has an extensive department/library dedicated to African American Music. Although I'm not certain if they have the information you desire, I strongly suggest you contact them. At the least, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Email from the IU Bloomington came back with:

All we've heard of is a late '50s NY label called Stomper Time which had the group Willie Mitchell & The Four Kings [at least two very rare 45s]. This label May [or may not] have become Stomp Town in the '60s

Regards, Manny at DMG

The two records I know are

you've lost your soul" st101A "just do the best you can" st101b,

by Duke & Leonard, Penned by McKenzie - Smith, arranged by Casey -

Jones, produced by Doo Dat Productions

"hate's growing stronger" By Big & the Evolution sad to say no

more info on this track.

Steve J

Here's something for you to go on :

There were a series of spoken word social consciousness LPs called "Silhouettes In Courage" issued in the  US  in  '69 / 70 which were produced by Charles Jones and Gene Casey.

The  sleeve and label of Volume 4 in that series bears the production company reference of Doo-Dat Productions  Inc. and notes the publisher as Stomp Town Music Corp BMI  with a label address of "22 E 40th Street New York" ...  exactly as on the Duke and Leonard 45.

R-1972186-1255931639.jpeg

Charles Jones and Gene Casey were also the producers on the Duke and Leonard 45.

Gene Casey also produced Minzi Berry's northern record on Stop "I Don't Want You No More" and  played piano on Labelle's self titled LP on Warner Bros in 1970 .

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Here's something for you to go on :

There were a series of spoken word social consciousness LPs called "Silhouettes In Courage" issued in the  US  in  '69 / 70 which were produced by Charles Jones and Gene Casey.

The  sleeve and label of Volume 4 in that series bears the production company reference of Doo-Dat Productions  Inc. and notes the publisher as Stomp Town Music Corp BMI  with a label address of "22 E 40th Street New York" ...  exactly as on the Duke and Leonard 45.

R-1972186-1255931639.jpeg

Charles Jones and Gene Casey were also the producers on the Duke and Leonard 45.

Gene Casey also produced Minzi Berry's northern record on Stop "I Don't Want You No More" and  played piano on Labelle's self titled LP on Warner Bros in 1970 .

Thanks for this info, I have second address for Doo-Dat Productions in NY that has given me other leads & hope of finding or locating some Stomp Town related stuff, I live in hope!!

Social source share

Thanks for this info, I have second address for Doo-Dat Productions in NY that has given me other leads & hope of finding or locating some Stomp Town related stuff, I live in hope!!

Hello Steve

Only just read this thread (must be more observant)  Was looking through my database to see if I had any more info for you.

I have a listing for The Four Kings - Walkin' alone on Stomper Time 1002 and turns out I've got a copy of it too??

Do you know this one? and is it of interest to you (scan - soundfile)

Cheers

Dazz

Social source share

Hello Steve

Only just read this thread (must be more observant)  Was looking through my database to see if I had any more info for you.

I have a listing for The Four Kings - Walkin' alone on Stomper Time 1002 and turns out I've got a copy of it too??

Do you know this one? and is it of interest to you (scan - soundfile)

Cheers

Dazz

It's of interest to me.  I'd like to see scans of both sides, and I'm sure the OP would, as well as others here.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Ady I'm so glad you reactivated this from 08! Big thanks to you I've gained a lot of info  :thumbsup: any sound file or label scans of Stomper Time are of great interest and are extremely rare records, likewise of any scans of Stomp Town records other than the D & L and Big & the Evolution would be fantastic guys!  

Social source share

I think Charles Jones was "Big"and Gene Casey was a jazzer who recorded on Prestige in the early 60s. BMI does have Duke and Leonard as Duke McKenzie and Leonard Jewel Smith but I reckon that must have been an error as he was always West Coast as far as I know and Stomp Town is NYC> However stranger things have happened.

Here's the sleeve of another LP issued in the series by Doo Dat (Stomp Town) Productions -  the LP is called "PS 186" which is a reference to a black school in Harlem at that time.  

If you look closely at the sleeve notes the musical arranger is identified as Charles "Big" Jones , so you would think this verifies what Ady says about "Big" being Charles Jones.

Unlike the spoken word LPs , this LP has music and songs and is known to funk collectors , so, who knows, the musicians listed on the sleeve could possibly have been involved with the Duke and Leonard & Big and the Evolution records ....   pianist George Butcher appeared on a host of funk and soul records through the 60s and 70s, and similarly Maurice McKinley on drums and percussion ....

R-2903150-1388117267-5106.jpeg

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

What's weird is there are a lot of Stomp Town songs on BMI but not the Hate one; the flip's on though

As we all know Ady not many have surfaced on 45's other than D & L thet were picked up in quonitiy back in the 70's unless they did  in lots of soul packs back then but got binned due to not being the right kind sound by Northern Soul collectors that snapped up soul packs back in the day! 

Social source share

The Evolution 45 was reviewed in the 2004 ( I think, last issue of Shades of Soul) by Brian Goucher.

It's a right bastard to find, I've been looking for ten years:(

Jim.

Brian's old copy now resides with me, it is a very hard track to find and is a crackin left field Thinkin mans tune in my book.

Dave H

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 26/11/2014 at 22:04, Robbk said:

It's of interest to me.  I'd like to see scans of both sides, and I'm sure the OP would, as well as others here.

I am new to this site and was doing some searching around and Duke and Leonard are in fact Jimmie Duke and Leonard Smith "You've Lost Your Soul"

I wonder if Jimmie Duke is an alias of Duke Mckenzie

Denmara Enterprises Inc. February 9th 1968

Duke.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!