News and details of Kents most recent motown related releases
If you need something to kick off a week then this cd could be the one, with it offering a fine mix of rare female motown soul (including 14 previously unissued tracks). This collection compiled by Keith Hughes & Mick Patrick certainly puts a spring in your step. Details and preview follow below...
Listen while you read preview
Release notes by Keith Hughes & Mick Patrick (preview)
More rare treats from Motown’s female roster, including 14 previously unissued 1960s gems.
Many moons have passed since our last “Motown Girls” project was released – but these things take time and a great deal of patience. We’re confident followers of the series will find this new volume very well worth the long wait.
The collection opens with ‘In My Heart I Know It’s Right’ by Gladys Knight & the Pips and closes with ‘So Long’ by the great Kim Weston in torch singer mode (a series tradition). ‘In My Heart I Know It’s Right’ was the first track Gladys and her guys recorded for Motown. The group had been introduced to the company by Larry Maxwell, who’d folded his Maxx label – where they had enjoyed modest chart success – in 1965 to join Motown. Gladys was opposed to the move, fearing they would just end up on the company’s assembly line, but she was outvoted by the Pips: “We decided we didn’t have that much to lose”, William Guest recalled. How right he was. ‘So Long’ was the closing theme of ...
The full release notes and purchase options can be had via https://acerecords.co.uk/baby-ive-got-it-more-motown-girls
1. In My Heart I Know It's Right - Gladys Knight and The Pips
2. Without Love You Lose a Good Feelin' - Brenda Holloway
3. It's Been a Long Time Happenin' - Rita Wright
4. Honey Don't Leave Me - The Lewis Sisters
5. Baby I've Got It - Brenda Holloway
6. It's Crazy Baby - Liz Lands
7. There Are Things - Ann Bogan
8. I'm Willing to Pay the Price - Martha and The Vandellas
9. Bad News - LaBrenda Ben
10. When Someone's Good to You - Oma Page
11. Is This Why (I Gave My Love to You) - Gladys Knight and The Pips
12. I Up and Think of You - Kim Weston
13. It's All Right - LaBrenda Ben
14. She Don't Love You (With Strings) - Mary Wells
15. Mr. Misery (Let Me Be) - Martha and The Vandellas
16. Playboy - The Marvelettes
17. Cookie Boy - Thelma Brown
18. Keep Away - Little Lisa
19. Sweet Talkin' Guy - The Marvelettes
20. I Know (You Don't Love Me No More) - Yvonne Fair
21. You've Got Possibilities - Barbara McNair
22. In Your Heart - Patrice Holloway
23. There Was - The Lollipops
24. So Long - Kim Weston