Jump to content

Ben Sherman 2018 Northern Soul

Ben Sherman 2018 Northern Soul cover

Looks like Ben Sherman is still pushing a 'northern soul' connection, from this years London Fashion show

Presented in a 100 metre-long gallery inside Somerset House, this season’s Ben Sherman offering looked to its roots and the glories of Northern Soul with a capsule collection created in collaboration with Henry Holland – a designer recently nominated by the British Fashion Council’s Fashion Awards for Best Emerging Menswear Designer.

Set to an upbeat soundtrack, a score of dancers took to the runway before models appeared in garb that perfectly fused Sherman’s classic silhouettes with Holland’s eclectic aesthetic

more info via mainstream media

1. Article Comments

Forum Activity

Members Comments

Recommended Comments

BEN SHERMAN- ORIGINAL?- not really, its been done to death, oh and people on the scene, well they don't like the commercial exploitation of it, unless there being commercially exploited and they not really the types you want to wear these clothes! cheesy and tasteless. I did my Northern soul collection in 1990, when the UK moved to a different beat!

Link to comment

Don't they realise that their target audience really should be 50+ balding and overweight men and not the "yoot" :|

Link to comment

Fantastic great to see our own dance champion in the mix for this show & that its a real dancers on the scene that have taken part well done simon for

keeping it real .(non proffesional ) .i shall be putting this on my UTUBE site . round of applause for our Simon Walsgrove of NUNEATON

12 minutes ago, mike said:

stumbled upon this more recent 'finalised' vid

nice find i posted it on my site & g+ network  great dancer simon walsgrove very proud of our dance champion

Link to comment

Am confused why does the guy at the start of the video - flick the Vs at the camera - basically telling us to fuck off ????

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:53, carty said:

Whatever happened to Jaytex ?

Carts lad, Jaytex was always 2nd division, and Brutus 3rd... but Jaytex had the best checks..

14 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

Jesus....most of that clobber is stinking....

it just all looks like sale rail shite, cant imagine the designers have a clue about who buys this crap. they don't seems to have a any idea who the target audience is. apart from the original 60s gear (which was a cheap British alternative to brookes brothers shirts) the brand value is pretty low- think Falmers in the 8ts. This will do  sweet FA to add value to the brand.

the real deal

Image result for 1960's brooks brothers shirts

Edited by geeselad
updated

Link to comment

Of course they will have an idea who they are selling to but guess what it ain’t you.

Its a mainstream fashion label not some underground two bit operation and it has always been involved in british youth culture.

Same old dancers? Same old dance maybe but to be fair to them they do it with more panache than most people I’ve seen of the original generation of late.

2 hours ago, JNixon said:

Ok, my degree in fashion from St Martins, must give me a rather limited insight. As does my 17 year's working in a secondary with kids 11-18. Or possibly the last 5years I've sent 3 nights a week at bmx tracks and parks with my son and loads or teenagers and youths in their early 20s. I'll give you the brand may have been cool in the late 60's and early  70s but its simply not a desirable brand and has sold any chance of credibility with countless ugly cash ins. Cheese and tacky. Sorry for the sarcasm and  I may not be the target audience but I do have an credible veiw on this. They sell in places like Debenham, its not Thierry muglar for Christ's sake.

On 2/14/2018 at 12:07, IAN STACEY said:

There's some cool stuff on there - and some pretty girls! :wub:

Autumn of Tomorrow sounds really cool and upfront too - makes the vid in my view. Funny that. I'll play it to some of my young hustlers tomorrow.

Pete

Link to comment

Every day is a school day , and today I have learnt that Ben Sherman dont have a clue and apparantly we have a dance champion whoopee do :P

Link to comment

Ben Sherman lost their way years ago. Granted in the 60's/70's they may have been relevant but since selling out to overseas manufacturers they lost the ethos of the brand. The Paul Weller collaborations a decade ago were ok but of recent times the way to go is DNA Groove or Mikkel Rude - decent collar rolls and interesting checks, Ben Sherman just offer boring patterns and tent sized shirts. If this was any other designer people would be screaming sacrilege for relating it to the northern soul scene. As for 'keeping it real' for not being professional, that's just ridiculous. If they want to make a few quid dancing for a brand then good luck to them!

Most of the clobber in the vid is absolute shi*e like :thumbsup:

On 09/01/2018 at 13:00, Ahoy Sailor said:

Not all of us i'm 65 still with a good head of hair and not overweight. Lol                    Regards Fred.

Link to comment

Beams plus and gitman vintage in the sales is my choice.

cant say i've even heard of those brands mentioned by zodiac club.

just checked out the first one and those collars are a bit extreme for me.

Ben sherman ok for 20 quid from tk max hardly the heritge brand they claim to be though.

Link to comment

With reference to the button down collar shirts, no way are they now as good as they used to be.The ones I saw in a local Ben shreman outlet shop were not Oxford cotton, wern't straight cut at the waist so you could wear in or out .The collar was lower and the buttons were in a different position, critical so when you undo the top button the collar will stand up and look dead smart.All the shirts i saw had long sleeves whereas we were always able to buy short sleeved. Maybe it was because it was an outlet shop I don't know. I think a lot of you on SS will understand my comments as you will like me have been on the scene for a while and will be able to differentiate between what was and what is now. As for the record as said earlier a brilliant sound The Crow:-Your autumn of tomorrow on our very own Dave Godins Right on Label

Regards Fred.

Edited by Mr Fred

Link to comment

Mikkel Rude is no longer operating. You might be lucky and find the odd one but he finished a couple of years ago. Said he was opening again but I've heard nothing.

Mark C

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Related Soul Music Links

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.