UK Film out in a few weeks has an interesting approach to the soundtrack
Clubbed is in UK cinemas nationwide on 16th January 2009.
CLUBBED - a journey through family and fear set in the violent world of 80s clubland.
Danny - a lonely factory worker intimidated by life - is battered and humiliated in front of his kids in a random act of violence. His already bleak existence sinks further into the abyss. On the verge of total breakdown, he decides to fight back.
He meets a group of nightclub doormen who take him in and give him the confidence to stand his ground. As he is drawn deeper into their world, he becomes embroiled with the local gangland boss, setting in motion a chain of events with shockingly brutal consequences.
The soundtrack to Clubbed features a selection of some of the stand out club tunes from the early 80's scene. Original Jamaican Ska, Northern Soul classics, Dance anthems and unforgettable R&B all beautifully fuse together to form a small piece of perfection.
The original music which predominantly features a wonderfully, contemporary orchestral score by composer Paul Heard revolves around four distinct character themes which reflect struggle, relationships, betrayal and growth.
Paul co-founded the Manchester based band M-People which during their ten-year reign as the world's no. 1 dance act, sold more than 11 million records. Their best known singles were Moving On Up and Search For a Hero while their 1994 album, Bizarre Fruit, was in the UK charts for some 2 1/2 years.
Clubbed's writer Geoff Thompson hails from Coventry, the home of the Two Tone movement of the late 70's and early 80's. This sound took the energy and the politics of punk, but replaced buzz saw guitars with choppy rhythms, horn sections as well as the style and rhythm of Jamaican Ska to create a distinctive style. This musical innovation took its roots from Caribbean Ska, Rock Steady and Reggae. It was honed into the multi-racial sound of Two-Tone by bands such as The Specials, The Selecter and The Beat.
Clubbed's soundtrack embraces all these influences as it takes us on a musical jouney through this defining era.
Full list of commercial tracks that are featured in CLUBBED:
1. GOOD TIMES Performed by Chic
2. KEEP THE FIRE BURNING Performed by Gwen McCrae
3. THERE'S GOT TO BE RAIN IN YOUR LIFE Performed by Dorothy Norwood
4. WALKIN' UP A ONE WAY STREET Performed by Willie Tee
5. TRAIN TO TAMPA Performed by Sam Dees
6. IF YOU WANT ME TO BE MORE OF A WOMAN (YOU GOT TO BE MORE OF A MAN) Performed by Lorraine Johnson
7. WARLOCK Performed by Jackie Mittoo
8. FORGET ME NOTS Performed by Patrice Rushen
9. DETERMINATION Performed by Roland Alphonso
10. CRY TO ME Performed by Loleatta Holloway
11. EVERYBODY DANCE Performed by Chic
12. NOBODY'S GONNA GET YOUR MAMA Performed by Peggy Scott
13. HUGH MINGUS Performed by Nine Ton Peanut Smugglers
14. I'LL GET OFF AT THE NEXT STOP Performed by Carol Anderson
15. RIDING HIGH Performed by Faze-O
16. JAMAICA SKA Performed by Byron Lee & The Dragonaires
17. TWENTY YEARS LATER Performed by Bobby Hutton
18. GET ME BACK ON TIME, ENGINE NUMBER 9 Performed by Wilson Pickett
19. IS IT LOVE YOU'RE AFTER Performed by Rose Royce
20. FUNKY SOUL Performed by David Batiste & The Gladiators
21. CRAM Performed by Tony Cook
22. GETTING UPTOWN (TO GET DOWN) Performed by United 8
23. TESTIMONY OF A FOOL Performed by Bobby Purify
24. BLOWING MY MIND TO PIECES Performed by Bob Relf
25. ANYTHING IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR Performed by Sam Dees