Jump to content
  • Sign Up
 

Curtis Anderson - Sad News




  1. Article Comments

Forum Activity


Members Comments

Recommended Comments

Shame - RIP Curtis. Really interesting about his DJ career, etc. Also didn't know 'How can I tell her' the same Curtis as 'The Hardest Part'. Wonder if he knew they were big spins here? Hardest Part especially just awesome:-

  

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

didnt know until reading the piece that curtis anderson "the hardest part " and "how can i tell her " curtis was the same artist 2 of my favourite modern style songs may he RIP 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came across him in early 82. I'd purchased "How can I tell her" from Soul Bowl for £20 some time earlier, then went on a detective hunt to try and find out more. This was before we had the internet obviously. I soon found him In Baltimore and wrote to him ℅ WWIN. He was very generous and sent me two copies of everything on Charm City (at the time no "second version" of "How can I tell her") + photos etc. of the acts, some of which I used for a feature in Blackbeat. In fact Curtis's picture adorned one of the mag's covers, although it was a horrible Gestetner copy, unlike todays 300 dpi professional jobs. "Hardest part" was later (c.85) and it looks like just before he had to give up radio DJing due to his throat problems. Anyway one of the good guys.  

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Steve G said:

I came across him in early 82. I'd purchased "How can I tell her" from Soul Bowl for £20 some time earlier, then went on a detective hunt to try and find out more. This was before we had the internet obviously. I soon found him In Baltimore and wrote to him ℅ WWIN. He was very generous and sent me two copies of everything on Charm City (at the time no "second version" of "How can I tell her") + photos etc. of the acts, some of which I used for a feature in Blackbeat. In fact Curtis's picture adorned one of the mag's covers, although it was a horrible Gestetner copy, unlike todays 300 dpi professional jobs. "Hardest part" was later (c.85) and it looks like just before he had to give up radio DJing due to his throat problems. Anyway one of the good guys.  

Think i still have that Blackbeat somewhere Steve....if my mind serves me right ...big guy in what looks like big leather coat...anyhow rember your write up...r.i.p Curtis

Dave L

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know we know him best here for his few recordings but it was his radio work that paid the bills for many years.

It's a great pity he has gone without detailing his varied career ... the period that he worked for WEBB (& WWIN) was quite turbulent ... that time when R&B (black) radio started to move into black ownership, when indie label product was dropped as the majors took over the airways & when US radio started to fall into the doldrums as TV & other forms of entertainment gained a firm hold.

Curtis was there when James Brown bought WEBB and instigated changes there. He later had a management roll at WWIN and must have had many challenges to face.

A bit of background info ....  http://tenwatts.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/james-brown-is-jb-in-wjbe.html

 

BaltRad701.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is what I printed in Blackbeat (July 82):

"CURTIS ANDERSON was born in Baltimore, and at age 16 he became the music director of radio station WEBB, where he had started off as an errand boy at the James Brown owned station. He got to know James very well, and when a DJ didn't turn up one day, Brown suggested that Curtis take his show. Curtis went on to become program director of WEBB, WRDW, and WJBE, and is currently Programme Director of WINN in Baltimore. 

According to the press review CURTIS is a very busy person, as indicated by the success of WWIN and his many real estate deals. He is a good planner, practical, and not afraid of hard work. He's the type of person who puts his cards on the table and aims for the top. CURTIS definitely likes to keep up to date on new developments in  the music field, and has brought a new pride to WWIN and Baltimore with the music he is playing. 

Away from the promotional leaflet, here are some facts about CURTIS courtesy of IMPACT Pubs. 

Date of Birth: 16-9-53, he's single, nicknamed Curtis or CA, is 5'11" and 192 lbs weight. His hobbies are ski-ing and home remodelling, his most memorable moment was recording his first album….

Favourite artists: Quincy Jones, Manhattans, Patti label, James Ingram, Luther Vandross.

Auto: Corvette

Food: Anything, especially ice cream.

Awards: Jack Gibson Program Director of the Year, Best Baltimore Radio Award".

----

So there you have it. Looks like the album never made it out, so some unissued tracks somewhere.

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve G said:

So there you have it. Looks like the album never made it out, so some unissued tracks somewhere.

Was this Charm City material ?

Andy

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve G said:

Here is what I printed in Blackbeat (July 82):

"CURTIS ANDERSON was born in Baltimore, and at age 16 he became the music director of radio station WEBB, where he had started off as an errand boy at the James Brown owned station. He got to know James very well, and when a DJ didn't turn up one day, Brown suggested that Curtis take his show. Curtis went on to become program director of WEBB, WRDW, and WJBE, and is currently Programme Director of WINN in Baltimore. 

According to the press review CURTIS is a very busy person, as indicated by the success of WWIN and his many real estate deals. He is a good planner, practical, and not afraid of hard work. He's the type of person who puts his cards on the table and aims for the top. CURTIS definitely likes to keep up to date on new developments in  the music field, and has brought a new pride to WWIN and Baltimore with the music he is playing. 

Away from the promotional leaflet, here are some facts about CURTIS courtesy of IMPACT Pubs. 

Date of Birth: 16-9-53, he's single, nicknamed Curtis or CA, is 5'11" and 192 lbs weight. His hobbies are ski-ing and home remodelling, his most memorable moment was recording his first album….

Favourite artists: Quincy Jones, Manhattans, Patti label, James Ingram, Luther Vandross.

Auto: Corvette

Food: Anything, especially ice cream.

Awards: Jack Gibson Program Director of the Year, Best Baltimore Radio Award".

----

So there you have it. Looks like the album never made it out, so some unissued tracks somewhere.

 

 

Great stuff Steve - thanks :hatsoff2:

Just read the obituary too - sounds like he was a decent and kind man.

Peter

Edit - absolutely loved How Can I Tell Her - one of those records that made the early 80's scene. Storming dance track - remember Hockie who was never a huge dancer, dancing to it at one nighter. Maybe Clifton Hall or Cleethorpes Winter Gardens. Great times indeed.

Edited by Peter99

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.