Jump to content
  • Sign Up
 

Russ Winstanleys Heart Of Northern Soul - Vinyl Release

Russ Winstanleys Heart Of Northern Soul - Vinyl Release cover

A new vinyl release from Outta Sight Records hits the stores...

Titled 'Russ Winstanley's Heart Of Northern Soul' this lp  is billed as 16 Casino Anthems chosen by Russ Winstanley and is available now, details follow below

The blurb - read and listen

Listen

Read

Russ Winstanley's HEART OF NORTHERN SOUL

OSVLP016


WIGAN CASINO MEMORIES... As we approach the 45th Anniversary of the legendary Wigan Casino Soul Club in 2018, Outta Sight presents the perfect prelude with 16 Casino anthems chosen by Russ Winstanley!!!

In the early hours of a September morning in 1973, a huge World War 1 building tentatively opened its doors to the cult followers of an underground dance scene. The unfashionable Casino Club was open for business for its first-ever Northern Soul All-Nighter. Little could the promoters have realised the phenomenon they were creating – a phenomenon that would put Wigan and the Casino on the map, not only across the length and breadth of Britain but also in Europe and America. For eight years, the Wigan Casino all-night Northern Soul sessions achieved fame, notoriety and, eventually, legendary status among youngsters all over Britain. It was loved by each of its 100,000 members, voted the world’s best disco by the American-based magazine Billboard and started its own record label and magazine. Its DJs unearthed rare 1960s American soul recordings and launched them into the national pop charts, reviving the careers of many black artists. Now, as we approach the club’s 45th anniversary, the timeless music and nocturnal lifestyle created by Wigan Casino is enjoying a massive revival as former Casino-goers and many new soul fans are once again filling all-night clubs and Northern Soul Weekenders.

Russ Winstanley, who first conceived the idea for the Wigan Casino all-nighters, was voted Britain’s number one disco DJ three times, he has been a contributory factor in many chart successes and has worked tirelessly to promote Northern Soul. Here Russ has selected Casino classics and personal favourites, many of which he played for the first time.

SIDE 1

Yvonne Baker – You Didn't Say A Word
Bobby Freeman – I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Lou Pride – I'm Com'Un Home In The Morn'un
Al Wilson – Help Me
The Jades – I'm Where It's At
The Invitations – Skiing In The Snow
Stemmons Express – Woman, Love Thief
Gerri Granger – I Go To Pieces (Everytime…)


SIDE 2

Alice Clark – You Hit Me (Right Where It Hurts Me)
Johnny Caswell – You Don’t Love Me Anymore
Ben Aiken – Satisfied
Cindy Scott – I Love You Baby
The Cherry People – And Suddenly
Cobblestone – Trick Me, Treat Me
Mike McDonald – God Knows
Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’77 – Love Music

wigan-casino-heart-soul-front.jpg

 

wigan-casino-heart-soul-back.jpg

 

https://outtasight.ecwid.com/#!/Russ-Winstanleys-HEART-OF-NORTHERN-SOUL/

 

 







Members Comments

Recommended Comments

3 hours ago, kempy said:

:sleep3:

thats just a bit ott

ask if you are gonna comment on news items then try and do it in a more constructive way

thanks

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to see vinyl being made available!

Only heard Love Music vary rarely back in the day on the Yorkshire side of the pennines .

Did not realise it was a Wigan Monster sound.

Ed

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yet again the sleeve notes claim that Wigan was voted best disco in the world by Billboard magazine (The year named as 1978 in lots of other places).

It makes me sad that it keeps getting repeated time and again if it's patently not true.

All copies of Billboard are available online. Somebody just point us to the edition and the page and I will shut up for ever.

No comment necessary unless you know it to be true. I don't want to be accused of taking this thread off-topic.

But this is what Richard Searling said on the subject a while ago.

ST : Did Wigan Casino deserve its title of "Billboard's Best Disco in the World" in 1978?

RS : I m sure it did.  However I think it's extremely odd that we did not celebrate or publicise such an important international accolade at the time.  Neither, to the best of my knowledge, has any official paperwork or trophy ever been produced.   As I was a resident DJ at the venue at the time, working for RCA and playing Billboard Hot Disco releases at the like of Angels in Burnley, I m sure I would not have missed it.  In fact I would have been shouting from the rooftops about it.........go figure!

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MBarrett said:

Yet again the sleeve notes claim that Wigan was voted best disco in the world by Billboard magazine (The year named as 1978 in lots of other places).

It makes me sad that it keeps getting repeated time and again if it's patently not true.

All copies of Billboard are available online. Somebody just point us to the edition and the page and I will shut up for ever.

No comment necessary unless you know it to be true. I don't want to be accused of taking this thread off-topic.

But this is what Richard Searling said on the subject a while ago.

ST : Did Wigan Casino deserve its title of "Billboard's Best Disco in the World" in 1978?

RS : I m sure it did.  However I think it's extremely odd that we did not celebrate or publicise such an important international accolade at the time.  Neither, to the best of my knowledge, has any official paperwork or trophy ever been produced.   As I was a resident DJ at the venue at the time, working for RCA and playing Billboard Hot Disco releases at the like of Angels in Burnley, I m sure I would not have missed it.  In fact I would have been shouting from the rooftops about it.........go figure!

 

 

 

The front of the programme for 1978  Billboard Magazine Disco Forum IV can be viewed here

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-billboard-magazine-1978-disco-forum

 

description says

' In the back section t are 12 pages with the list of all the nominees and the awards categories such as: Album of the year, "Disco DJ's Favorite 12" Disco-Disc", Artist, Label, Composer, etc. for the Billboards Disco Awards Banquet. '

you can't see the list, but does sort of seem possible to me that there was also a 'best disco/club' award, after all there must be something to it all, as its not the sort of thing you could make up out of nothing

At the time Billboard held these international disco forum each year, so imo it may be possible that the award was given/mentioned at one of these events and as an independent stand alone Billboard thing the award/s never got mentioned in the main mag

I did read somewhere once that the award was given due to the amount of members - as in it was  given more for being the worlds biggest not the best disco/club

Maybe the story is that there was a mention/award at a Billboard related annual disco related event, but that got stretched a bit into something bigger ?

 

 

Edited by mike

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mike said:

 

 

The front of the programme for 1978  Billboard Magazine Disco Forum IV can be viewed here

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-billboard-magazine-1978-disco-forum

 

description says

' In the back section t are 12 pages with the list of all the nominees and the awards categories such as: Album of the year, "Disco DJ's Favorite 12" Disco-Disc", Artist, Label, Composer, etc. for the Billboards Disco Awards Banquet. '

you can't see the list, but does sort of seem possible to me that there was also a 'best disco/club' award, after all there must be something to it all, as its not the sort of thing you could make up out of nothing

At the time Billboard held these international disco forum each year, so imo it may be possible that the award was given/mentioned at one of these events and as an independent stand alone Billboard thing the award/s never got mentioned in the main mag

I did read somewhere once that the award was given due to the amount of members - as in it was  given more for being the worlds biggest not the best disco/club

Maybe the story is that there was a mention/award at a Billboard related annual disco related event, but that got stretched a bit into something bigger ?

 

 

Hopefully there is a member on here who has full access to that particular issue of Billboard and can reproduce that list of best disco or club.

Also, having read most of the books on the story of discos in the US in the 70's , it  leads to another question abut the sheer scale and numbers attending Wigan each week  ... was it 1500 at its peak ? As I understand it none of the legendary US discos like The Gallery and The Loft came close to those numbers did they ?

Was Paradise Garage the first truly large scale dance venue in the US ? 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to Rotters and Romeo and Juliets for completely different reasons than why I went to Wigan Casino and the like.

Not sure disco was the right label for it..

Ed

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

an offtopic post about offtopic posts dropped 

ask try and keep things sort of relevant 

 

 

Edited by mike

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that the Billboard 'Best Disco' label (so Kev told me) was based on claimed membership (200k+) and Billboard assuming that the members would all vote for their own club - had it been Troggs in Hull (yes there was one, with the same sparkly batcave decor as Pete tells me Farnworth had) with 210k membership the IT would have been awarded the world's best.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty good compilation actually with the exception of Cherry People and Cobblestone...nice to see Love Music on there

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Roburt said:

From Billboard mag at that time ... 

DiscoForum78.jpg

Some of the winners of the categories that DID exist with their awards.

OK. I'm done. Cross my heart. :)

Disc1.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

any wigan lp is great for me ...disco demands was my first lp ..as pete says nice to see love music on there 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cherry people my God .whilst most of the album is I rly solid stuff Cherry People track is an embarrassment and should never have been played on any soul scene 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

some decent tracks but i just hope a well intentioned family member doesn't buy it for me for xmas ! 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a big thread about the billboard story on my Facebook, my personal opinion it was an advertising white lie that spiralled out of control. Russ didn't comment on the post but instead personal messaged me to say Billboard magazine rang him to tell him about winning the competition.... Hmmm 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BackstreetNiter said:

I had a big thread about the billboard story on my Facebook, my personal opinion it was an advertising white lie that spiralled out of control. Russ didn't comment on the post but instead personal messaged me to say Billboard magazine rang him to tell him about winning the competition.... Hmmm 

an advertising white lie = a load of bollox? :thumbsup:

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2017 at 20:17, MBarrett said:

Some of the winners of the categories that DID exist with their awards.

OK. I'm done. Cross my heart. :)

Disc1.jpg

Top left picture.... I didnt know Ritchie Benaud was into the music.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.