Sacred Sounds - Dave Hamilton's Raw Detroit Gospel Various Artists (Dave Hamilton)
A just released release from Kent out now in both cd and download formats. This album focuses on the gospel side of Dave Hamilton, offering 24 tracks all related to his Sacred Sounds' imprint. Kent saying that for their first foray into gospel, Dave Hamilton’s inspired work is a natural starting point.
A clip of the release notes by @ady croasdell follows along with preview and listing.
Sparse but compelling gospel recordings from the late 60s and early 70s, brimming with the soul sounds for which Dave Hamilton is renowned.
Detroit guitarist, producer and label-owner Dave Hamilton worked in the city from the mid-40s to the end of the century. He was involved in most fields of black music; gospel was no exception. Although not a particularly religious person, his home was directly opposite Reverend C.L. Franklin’s New Bethel Baptist Church, which his daughters Erma, Aretha and Carolyn would attend and sing. It was a major hub for the Civil Rights movement and Hamilton would have made many contacts through that church. Having an affordable recording studio in the centre of the city, and a reputation as an accomplished guitarist, producer and approachable character, meant he was in business in the right place at the right time.
Hamilton dabbled with gospel recordings throughout his career; in 1969 he registered his Sacred Sounds imprint and entered the gospel field seriously. The label had around 20 single releases and at least one album. The records were sold in the churches where the groups performed, and also got across the USA through plays on radio station WLAC. They must have been pressed in relatively small numbers, judging by the scarcity of the discs today. A few 45s were pressed on one-off labels such as New Creation, Silver Harp and Motor City, and the Reynolds Singers featuring Little Stevie was released on Hamilton’s otherwise secular..
Full release notes, purchase options and more can be had via
1. Jesus Is With Me Pt. 1 - Little Stevie & The Reynolds Singers
2. I'm Not Ready to Die - The Scott Singers
3. Pressing On - The Silver Harps
4. (This Is) My Plea - Rev Simon Barbee
5. Little Boy - The Johnson Spiritual Singers
6. Savior On the Throne - Mr Bo
7. Wrapped, Died Tangled Up in Jesus - Mary Ellen George
8. When the Saints Go Marching In - The Scott Singers
9. Someday We'll Be Together - The National Independence Singers lead by John King
10. Life's Pathway - Rev Evans
11. Moving On - Little Stevie & The Reynolds Singers
12. I Still Remember - Umble Faith lead by C Stuart
13. I Got a Home - The Detroit Motor City Singers
14. If I Had My Way - OC Tolbert & Clara White Houston
15. I Heard a Voice Pt. 1 - Sensational Angeletts
16. Grown Old and Feeble - The Soul Inspirers
17. I Thank You Jesus for One More Day - The Scott Singers
18. He's All I Need - The Sensational Sunset Paraders
19. Try Jesus - The Reynolds Singers
20. The Little Light - The Fantastic Voices of Joy
21. Leaning and Depending On Jesus - The Jr Echoes
22. I Need Your Power - Pure in Heart Travellers
23. Down Here Praying - The Detroit Silvertones
24. My God Is Calling Me - The Scott Singers