Soul Voices - 60s Big Ballads
Details follow of a great new Kent Records release titled Soul Voices, 60s Big Ballads is the tag line and it most certainly lives up to that tag.
Out right now on Cd, and also available via a mp3 sampler format, via both download and streaming services. A powerful and dramatic collection that demands to be played loud.
Release Notes Preview
Majestic male vocalists singing over subtly orchestrated arrangements of superb songs were the pinnacle of 1960s black music sophistication.
Male soul balladeers from the 60s have always been particularly admired. Roy Hamilton, Walter Jackson, Lou Johnson and Ben E King – some of the A-listers featured here – epitomise the genre and have devoted followers. This grand sound evolved from the first soul records which emanated in the early 60s mainly in New York, where three quarters of the tracks here were recorded.
Four are previously unissued. Kenny Carter’s ‘Big Bad Rain’ is a superb Larry Banks and Herman Kelley song, stunningly arranged by New York studio maestro Garry Sherman. Clarence Pinckney is lesser-known but delivers the Billy Terrell song ‘Just Outside Of Lonely’ with aplomb. Prolific recording artists Junior Lewis and Billy Watkins both add a new song to their already impressive CVs. Lewis’ recording is a demo of the tender Buddy Lucas song ‘I Love You So Much’ which was never covered for a release. Its sparse backing seems appropriate to the song, especially next to Jimmy Radcliffe’s ‘Through A Long And Sleepless Night’, which has a minimal arrangement but made it to 45. Billy Watkins sang in most soul styles in a 20-year Los Angeles recording career. His reading of the jazz standard ‘I Want To Be Loved’ was clearly Sam Cooke-inspired and reeks of sophistication.
Also available as Soul Voices - 60s Big Ballads (Sampler) (MP3), MP3 (£4.74)
Full release notes and more via https://acerecords.co.uk/soul-voices-60s-big-ballads
1. Forget The Girl - Walter Jackson
2. They Say I'm Afraid - Freddy Butler
3. Heartache (Hurry On By) - Roy Hamilton
4. Big Bad Rain - Kenny Carter
5. (There's) No Place To Hide - Ben E King
6. Lonely People Can't Afford To Cry - Clyde McPhatter
7. Gloomy Day - Herb Johnson
8. Just Outside Of Lonely - Clarence Pinckney
9. Seeing Is Believing - Tony Mason
10. Don't Make Me Over - Tommy Hunt
11. Reach Out For Me - Lou Johnson
12. Now You Are Gone - Brooks O'Dell
13. You Got Too Much Going For You - Jimmy Beaumont
14. A Day Or Two - Garrett Saunders
15. Where Does Love Go - Freddie Scott
16. I Can't Stand To See You Cry - Chuck Jackson
17. Anytime You Want Me - Garnet Mimms
18. Can't Stand No Fooling Around - Gene Burks
19. I Want To Be Loved - Billy Watkins
20. Lover's Competition - James Carr
21. You're A Lucky So And So - Sammy Sevens
22. Good For A Lifetime - Al Hibbler
23. Through A Long And Sleepless Night - Jimmy Radcliffe
24. I Love You So Much - Junior Lewis