source content cover image

24th 6ts Cleethorpes Northern Modern Weekender - London

    


 London

Weekenders
Ady Croasdell profile photo
(1 review)

24th 6ts Cleethorpes Northern Modern Weekender

This London Weekender music event has now ended

Event Information

Event Type: Weekender

Event Date & Time:     

Venue Name: The 100 Club

Event Location:  London   W1D 1LL

Event Description

At it again.

 

www.6ts.info for when I've sorted the acts etc. Booking details are on there and it'll be the usual brilliant assortment of DJs, dancers and dangerous people.

 

To get on the mailing list email ady.croasdell@btinternet.com

 

 

adydeanmaxinetommy.jpg

The 100 Club - London Event Map


London Venue Address:

The 100 Club
100 Oxford Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1D 1LL, United Kingdom

Contact the venue / club

Please contact the venue / club to confirm address and event admission details before travelling

More Events from Ady Croasdell

London Weekender Weather

Social Soul - Spread the event word!


24th 6ts Cleethorpes Northern Modern Weekender Event Comments & Reviews

Hit the down arrow below to switch 1 review / 24 comments

24 comments / 1 review
Use Arrow below to read/swap
Staceys Dad profile photo

Posted

looking forward to the BEST weekender on the planet........

Share this comment


Link to comment
oldsoulgit profile photo

Posted

Getting nearer now, can't wait love it, love it :thumbsup:

Cheers Jim.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Roburt profile photo

Posted

LIVE ACTS: Maxine Brown in the main NS room, Ronnie Canada (Sly, Slick & Wicked, Blue Notes, Caviar, Omari, Roney Canada +++) in MS room.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Roburt profile photo

Posted

. . . . . . .  RONNIE CANADA .... short bio .........

Ronnie Canada has enjoyed a long & varied life in the music biz over the last 40 years. Born in Cleveland, Ronnie made his start working with the likes of S.O.U.L. And Truth. From there, he became a member of Sly, Slick & Wicked in 1979. The group had landed a record deal with Carl Maduri's Sweet City and were slated to record a Dunn Pearson song “All I Want Is You”. Ronnie was selected as the lead singer on the song and so spent some weeks learning & rehearsing the song. However, on the day the group went into the studio, group leader John Wilson decided he would take lead vocal duties and so the track was recorded that way. The cuts were licensed by Epic in the US and released to little reaction. However, here in the UK, Modern Soul fans were soon searching out copies of the 45 and it soon took on anthem status.

Next up, Ronnie moved on, joining the Blue Notes who needed new members after splitting from Harold Melvin. Group members Larry Brown & John Atkins went all the way back to the mid 60's (the group's “Get Out” period). The group had cut good tracks for Uni & Glades records (Florida: mid to late 70's) and were a popular live attraction when Ronnie joined their number. However, Harold Melvin wasn't happy that two sets of Blue Notes were out there and so he took legal action against the Florida based outfit. Wanting to move on, the guys changed their name to Caviar and with Ronnie on lead vocals they cut “Never Stop Lovin' You” for Survivor (1982). They cut more tracks at that time but these didn't escape until an album was put out by Boogie Time Records (France: 2009).

Next, Ronnie joined Omari and they had the popular “After Loving You” out on Bound Sound Records (1983). After Omari split, Ronnie went solo and cut "I Don't Believe It" which escaped on AJ's Records (1987). Copies of this 12” sold well in the UK and that once again raised Ronnie's profile. Needing steady work, Ronnie went back into the group environment and he moved over to Europe where he started singing with the Platters and American Drifters. These outfits were a top live draw across Europe but Ronnie wanted to get back into the recording side of things. So, he started to collaborate with people in the house & garage worlds, cutting for Tomohawk (1993/94) and Shaboom (2004). This work also resulted in him being used by various similar acts, Ronnie adding his vocals to tracks by the likes of Fabio Tosti, Audioplayerz and Darockwildas. So that brings us up to date. Ronnie, now resides in Watford and keeps up his work in the music world.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Kylee Sims profile photo

Posted

Its been 3 years since we made the trip to Cleethorpes. Really can't wait.:thumbup:

Share this comment


Link to comment
Speedlimit profile photo

Posted

well not long now for the annual trip to cleggy  always a great weekend with quality sounds plus two superb acts 

 

see ya's there :thumbsup:

Share this comment


Link to comment
Wiganer1 profile photo

Posted

any saturday night passes?   

Share this comment


Link to comment
Jim Elliott profile photo

Posted

Wahey!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Stubbsy profile photo

Posted

Due to a :g: family commitment I can't make it this year - gutted as I've done 15 years on the trot!

Hope you all have a brilliant time, (which I know you will) and hope to be back next year :thumbsup:

Share this comment


Link to comment
Bossfourpart1 profile photo

Posted

I've got my Bucket and Spade , should be able to dig up some tunes by then !

Share this comment


Link to comment
professorturnups profile photo

Posted

Watch out, Frank or you'll "drop your candy in the sand"

See Ya Friday!!

Mark C:thumbsup:

Share this comment


Link to comment
Geoff profile photo

Posted

On 6/2/2016 at 13:16, Stubbsy said:

Due to a :g: family commitment I can't make it this year - gutted as I've done 15 years on the trot!

Hope you all have a brilliant time, (which I know you will) and hope to be back next year :thumbsup:

We'll miss you John. Enjoy your holiday.

Share this comment


Link to comment
hullsoul profile photo

Posted

Well that's me done at work,a few light refreshments tonight to get me in the mood & then it'll be Cleggy time!!!!!

See you all soon.

Cheers

Martyn

Share this comment


Link to comment
Staceys Dad profile photo

Posted

see everyone tommorrow ..gonna be another great weekend....

Share this comment


Link to comment
Roburt profile photo

Posted

The live act rehearsal took place today. Ronnie Canada tells me that it went well. The band were up to the mark as always and Maxine did her bit as fine as ever. Ronnie & Maxine will be doing a duet (ala Chuck & Maxine) on "Hold On, I'm Coming", which should go down well on Saturday night. 

Ronnie's own PA will be in the MS Room Sunday afternoon @ 4pm.

The lads will be arriving tomorrow (Charlie, Paul, Nige, etc) but I'm a late starter this year (not gettin' to Clegvegas till Saturday pm). Looking forward to proceedings as much as always. Weather not tipped to be great & then there's the footie (& F1) to fit in ... it's going to be a busy one again. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Roburt profile photo

Posted

Maxine & Ronnie dueting at the sound check today (photo by Paul Mason) ...... 

Maxine&Ronnie.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
hullsoul profile photo

Posted

Weather here on the east coast damp but still mild,setting off soon........yipppeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Cheers

Martyn

Share this comment


Link to comment
steve woomble profile photo

Posted

34 minutes ago, hullsoul said:

Weather here on the east coast damp but still mild,setting off soon........yipppeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Cheers

Martyn

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
steve woomble profile photo

Posted

It's that time!!!!!! :-) Let's ave it..........

Share this comment


Link to comment
Soulagogo profile photo

Posted

Does anybody know if you can pay on the door on Saturday?

Richard

Share this comment


Link to comment
Billywhizz profile photo

Posted

yes u can ,

Share this comment


Link to comment
Vanda profile photo

Posted

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:31, Roburt said:

. . . . . . .  RONNIE CANADA .... short bio .........

Ronnie Canada has enjoyed a long & varied life in the music biz over the last 40 years. Born in Cleveland, Ronnie made his start working with the likes of S.O.U.L. And Truth. From there, he became a member of Sly, Slick & Wicked in 1979. The group had landed a record deal with Carl Maduri's Sweet City and were slated to record a Dunn Pearson song “All I Want Is You”. Ronnie was selected as the lead singer on the song and so spent some weeks learning & rehearsing the song. However, on the day the group went into the studio, group leader John Wilson decided he would take lead vocal duties and so the track was recorded that way. The cuts were licensed by Epic in the US and released to little reaction. However, here in the UK, Modern Soul fans were soon searching out copies of the 45 and it soon took on anthem status.

Next up, Ronnie moved on, joining the Blue Notes who needed new members after splitting from Harold Melvin. Group members Larry Brown & John Atkins went all the way back to the mid 60's (the group's “Get Out” period). The group had cut good tracks for Uni & Glades records (Florida: mid to late 70's) and were a popular live attraction when Ronnie joined their number. However, Harold Melvin wasn't happy that two sets of Blue Notes were out there and so he took legal action against the Florida based outfit. Wanting to move on, the guys changed their name to Caviar and with Ronnie on lead vocals they cut “Never Stop Lovin' You” for Survivor (1982). They cut more tracks at that time but these didn't escape until an album was put out by Boogie Time Records (France: 2009).

Next, Ronnie joined Omari and they had the popular “After Loving You” out on Bound Sound Records (1983). After Omari split, Ronnie went solo and cut "I Don't Believe It" which escaped on AJ's Records (1987). Copies of this 12” sold well in the UK and that once again raised Ronnie's profile. Needing steady work, Ronnie went back into the group environment and he moved over to Europe where he started singing with the Platters and American Drifters. These outfits were a top live draw across Europe but Ronnie wanted to get back into the recording side of things. So, he started to collaborate with people in the house & garage worlds, cutting for Tomohawk (1993/94) and Shaboom (2004). This work also resulted in him being used by various similar acts, Ronnie adding his vocals to tracks by the likes of Fabio Tosti, Audioplayerz and Darockwildas. So that brings us up to date. Ronnie, now resides in Watford and keeps up his work in the music world.

 

I met Ronnie last night at Cleethorpes, what a very funny guy, fantastic voice too xx

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Staceys Dad profile photo

Posted

and once again CLEETHORPES didnt let me down.....great weekend  ..great tunes..great people...great time....and MAXINE BROWN  was brilliant ..already paid my deposit for next year,to celebrate 25 years of CLEETHORPES...so take a bow ADY ..you did another fantastic job.

Share this comment


Link to comment
oldsoulgit profile photo

Posted

Great w/ender, as usual, just love this event, roll on the 25th year. :thumbsup:

Cheers Jim.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Soul Source Event Guide
Get involved!

Comment, review or add club events now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of all the event guide features

Log in now!

Related Soul Music Links





×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.