Jump to content
  • Soul Source Site Information

cover photo

CHARITY SOUL ALL-DAYER @ Manhattan Club HarrogaTE

  

Alldayers
the Happy Hooker
   (2 reviews)

CHARITY SOUL ALL-DAYER @ Manhattan Club HarrogaTE on

Event Information


Charity Soul UK c/o

The Manhattan Club,

Beech Avenue,

Harrogate, HG2 8DY

Saturday 22nd October 2016

3 Room event including Dekka's Roots Room, Northern Soul Room and Modern Soul Room so Come and join us for another cracking day and help raise much needed funds for the fight against cancer. Our last events have been packers and this promises to be another.

Tickets £7 in advance or £10 on the day. All Profits go directly to Prof Norman Maitland, who we hope will in attendance on the day .Doors open 4pm til 2am

Car park  Food allday

Registered Charity Soul Logo 1.jpg


Venue Details

Contact the venue

Please check with the venue/promoter to confirm details before travelling

Event Reviews and Comments

Welcome to the CHARITY SOUL ALL-DAYER @ Manhattan Club HarrogaTE Event Review Section

Current:
   (2 reviews)



dekka

   1 of 1 member say helpful 1 / 1 member

The review by my fellow promoter Andy Bellwood just about sums up how we both feel. We have decided to call it a day with the Roots Room with the November 19th Headingley event being the last one.
We are however intending to do one off 'specials' for the Charity perhaps one a year with the first one next year being a Danny Coates 'Get Smarter' special' in July.
This will be held at Harrogate with the Roots Room being in the main bar area rather than the little side room. This is something we stipulated and I hope it suits with Danny Coates. With the Roots Room being in the main bar area this will allow for more people being introduced to this fantastic music of ours and it also has a bar so the room won't keep 'emptying' as people go for a drink. 
Another 'Special' which we also hope will take place will be a 'Kitten Casino' special where those boys and girls will take over the main room and utilise the stage for their fantastic 'Ready Steady Go' look alike film set. 
Another Special will be in York next November.

Finally can I just thank the Scottish boys and Girls for making the trip to Harrogate on saturday and please accept our deepest apologies for the poor turn out.
It was very humbling experience on saturday especially regarding the vast distance you had travelled in order to be with us.
From Myself and Andy I thank everyone who has taken the time to support us.
atb
dekka

Share this review


Link to review
andybellwood

· Edited by andybellwood

   1 of 1 member say helpful 1 / 1 member

Dekka's Roots Room. Outstanding music for this Scottish Special by some of the nicest and knowledgable guys (chosen especially by host Brian Cardno) on the 'mod' scene who travelled 100s of miles /6 hours to grace the decks in the Roots Room. Take a bow Brian Cardno, Colin Bailie, Gary Love, Brian Scott,  Haydn Bye,  Acky Buchan and of course that man 'Dekka' , albeit of Barnsley heritage. 

Very refreshing and excellent choice of original vinyl, vast majority new to me (big bonus)  covering mod jazz,  6ts soul & rnb,  Latin , swing , popcorn , early reggae - my sort of music for this type of event and a million miles away from northern traditionalist sounds.  My only disappointment was that in terms of quality, uniqueness and authenticity,  the Roots Room should have been overflowing, so struggling to understand why it wasn't as busy as previous ones (hence the four, rather than five star rating). Certainly can't use the 'usual'  excuse from others of 'too many (similar) events', as apart from the eclectic Brighton Beach Annv event in Leeds, little if any alternative on offer  anywhere ? 
That all said,  came away feeling rather privileged to have experienced  the music, meeting for the 1st time the Scottish contingent , incl Trisha Wagner from Kitten Casino and catching up Brian C  & Acky plus a few who i haven't seen for a while. 
Next Roots Room will be at Leeds Rhinos stadium, part of a four room Charity Soul event  and the line up includes Mik Parry, Eddie Wainwright and Rich Buckley (Soulsville - Leeds , Empty Bottles, Driving Beat etc ) making a special return /back up north for this one, plus the Flipside boys.  

Share this review


Link to review


Welcome to the CHARITY SOUL ALL-DAYER @ Manhattan Club HarrogaTE Comments sectiom

This event is now over. Look up now to read the latest reviews of this soul event



October 22nd Roots Room ' Bonnie Scotland' Special
Manhattan Lounge, Beech Avenue, Harrogate, HG2 8DY
DJ Line Up:

ACKY BUCHAN - REGULAR GUEST DJ SHOTTS NIGHTERS, CO. FOUNDER GRANITE CITY SOUL CLUB, ABERDEEN. BEACH BALLROOM AND MUSIC HALL, ABERDEEN 

HADYN BYE: - GRANITE CITY SOUL CLUB, KINKY SOUL EVENTS ABERDEEN.

BRIAN SCOTT: - 'BONNYRIGG SOUL CLUB',' KITTEN CASINO' DALKEITH.

GARY LOVE: - GROOVE CITY RADIO, GLASGOW. 'BARRALOADASOUL' AND 'SOMETHIN'S KOOKIN', GLASGOW.

COLIN BAILIE: - 'BARRALOADASOU' AND 'SOMETHIN'S KOOKIN', GLASGOW.

BRIAN CARDNO - BARRELS SOUL CLUB

DEKKA & ANDY BELLWOOD - RESIDENTS

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, dekka said:

October 22nd Roots Room ' Bonnie Scotland' Special
Manhattan Lounge, Beech Avenue, Harrogate, HG2 8DY
DJ Line Up:

ACKY BUCHAN - REGULAR GUEST DJ SHOTTS NIGHTERS, CO. FOUNDER GRANITE CITY SOUL CLUB, ABERDEEN. BEACH BALLROOM AND MUSIC HALL, ABERDEEN 

HADYN BYE: - GRANITE CITY SOUL CLUB, KINKY SOUL EVENTS ABERDEEN.

BRIAN SCOTT: - 'BONNYRIGG SOUL CLUB',' KITTEN CASINO' DALKEITH.

GARY LOVE: - GROOVE CITY RADIO, GLASGOW. 'BARRALOADASOUL' AND 'SOMETHIN'S KOOKIN', GLASGOW.

COLIN BAILIE: - 'BARRALOADASOU' AND 'SOMETHIN'S KOOKIN', GLASGOW.

BRIAN CARDNO - BARRELS SOUL CLUB

DEKKA & ANDY BELLWOOD - RESIDENTS

Well, almost speechless and gobsmacked lol. I know host Brian Cardno has been putting together his guests for some time ... Just amazed with the team he's assembled for this one,  travelling 100s of miles to be part of Dekkas Roots Room! What a pedigree with Scotlands' finest mod & rnb clubs represented and a unique opportunity to catch them all in Harrogate on 22nd Oct. 

Edited by andybellwood

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 hours ago, andybellwood said:

Well, almost speechless and gobsmacked lol. I know host Brian Cardno has been putting together his guests for some time ... Just amazed with the team he's assembled for this one,  travelling 100s of miles to be part of Dekkas Roots Room! What a pedigree with Scotlands' finest mod & rnb clubs represented and a unique opportunity to catch them all in Harrogate on 22nd Oct. 

I know mate, such an amazing array of DJ's, people travelling from as far away as Aberdeen, wow and such quality from all the major Mod and Soul venues in Scotland. I think Brian has assembled the most exciting line up so far and thats saying something considering the quality that we have had so far, i'm totally gobsmacked

Share this comment


Link to comment

After the very special 5:15's event last saturday, the Roots Room now looks forward to this very special Scottish Special with some of the best Scottish DJ's on todays Mod and Soul scene, this is shaping up to be the best Roots Room of 2016, hope to see some of you there

cheers

dekka

Share this comment


Link to comment

Also for those of a continental soul mindset the guys on the door will have info' about the First ( and hopefully the start of many more) Charity Soul's 'Festival of Soul' in Murcia

Things are moving on apace and we will provide Package Information booklets for people contemplating Movin 'n Groovin' in Murica in 2017 at the Manhattan. 

or contact me:

rockhilldave9@gmail.com

and I'll forward on the details.

¡Va a ser un evento brillante!

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Don't forget to reserve your tickets, just txt to dekka at 07597198191 with your name and how many tickets you would like reserving, reserve tickets £7 or £10 on the door, no obligation if you can't make it on the night so no need to worry and save yourself 3 quid

Share this comment


Link to comment

Dekka looks to have nailed it again with the DJ line up for the rots room.

Hope Pete/ Toc/Lodgie post the DJ line ups for the northern  and the modern room.

I know some who are confirmed but not all so I can't post but I can guarantee they will fill the floor.

We have a new dedicated "raffle team" Big Dave , & Dave & Jenny so we should have a more eclectic prizes.

Not forgetting the merchandise stall where Geoff is in attendance to take as much money off you as he can lol.

As well as the framed records / prints & t.shirts we now have charitysoul wristbands & charitysoul fans.

So if you haven't been before come along and see what we are about.

Also please remember all the djs & charitysoul helpers give their time for free which enables us to donate as much as possible to Prof Norman Maitland at York Uni in his fight to find the cure for prostate cancer.

Edited by souleeds

Share this comment


Link to comment

As has been stated you can roll up on the day and pay £10. But if you know your coming then text Dekka ( his numbers above ) and save yourselves £3 that's about price of a pint or you could buy raffle tickets haha 

Share this comment


Link to comment

 

It don't get better than this, unless you travel to Scotland regular you will never get the chance to see these wonderful DJ's plying their trade within the Mod and Soul scene. I'm truly deeply humbled and honoured that these boys are travelling such a great distance to visit the Roots Room and help the Charity, Thankyou

 
Image may contain: 7 people

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 hours ago, dekka said:

 

It don't get better than this, unless you travel to Scotland regular you will never get the chance to see these wonderful DJ's plying their trade within the Mod and Soul scene. I'm truly deeply humbled and honoured that these boys are travelling such a great distance to visit the Roots Room and help the Charity, Thankyou

 
Image may contain: 7 people

 

and a taster from Acky 

https://m.mixcloud.com/carlasoul/mix-of-60s-rb-popcorn-funky-edge/

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 8 October 2016 at 09:26, dekka said:

 

It don't get better than this, unless you travel to Scotland regular you will never get the chance to see these wonderful DJ's plying their trade within the Mod and Soul scene. I'm truly deeply humbled and honoured that these boys are travelling such a great distance to visit the Roots Room and help the Charity, Thankyou

 
Image may contain: 7 people

 

Guess a lot will be kicking themselves afterwards if they miss this one ....

Share this comment


Link to comment
27 minutes ago, andybellwood said:

Guess a lot will be kicking themselves afterwards if they miss this one ....

Absolutely Andy, these boys are the real deal make no mistake

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 31 August 2016 at 06:42, Loveg said:

Will give this event a big shout out on the Stay Loose Radio show on Sept 11th

Nice one Gary .

Edited by andybellwood

Share this comment


Link to comment

another quality day guaranteed , get those tickets from the numbers above . northern room , tartan army in the roots room and as always Modern room madness with Lodgie and the crew featuring new release choice cuts , 70s underplayed , x-over , uptempo bangers , steppers , class album tracks [and a few old favourites-and that's just Lodgie.] come and get your groove on for a great cause.  not forgetting info on the monster festival of soul in MURCIA 2017.

SHORTY

Share this comment


Link to comment

if you havn't made the pilgrimage to the Manhattan lounge before it really is a festival of soul under one roof, all on one level and such a great place to have a wander round and have a nosey in the different rooms , each one with its own vibe and atmosphere . the roots room boys are ahead of the game as always [ check out Andy Bellwood's superb  mixcloud  shows ] sure the D J times for the Northern/Modern  rooms will be up soon , and don't forget the great bar prices and offers , once again at risk of sounding like a broken record all money going to a great cause.

shorty

Share this comment


Link to comment
39 minutes ago, soultronic said:

if you havn't made the pilgrimage to the Manhattan lounge before it really is a festival of soul under one roof, all on one level and such a great place to have a wander round and have a nosey in the different rooms , each one with its own vibe and atmosphere . the roots room boys are ahead of the game as always [ check out Andy Bellwood's superb  mixcloud  shows ] sure the D J times for the Northern/Modern  rooms will be up soon , and don't forget the great bar prices and offers , once again at risk of sounding like a broken record all money going to a great cause.

shorty

Big thanks . Latest here 

https://m.mixcloud.com/andybellwood/dekkas-roots-room-pt6/

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 6 October 2016 at 18:08, dekka said:

Don't forget to reserve your tickets, just txt to dekka at 07597198191 with your name and how many tickets you would like reserving, reserve tickets £7 or £10 on the door, no obligation if you can't make it on the night so no need to worry and save yourself 3 quid

Bump up for this very important information

 

Don't forget to reserve your tickets, just txt to dekka at 07597198191 with your name and how many tickets you would like reserving, reserve tickets £7 or £10 on the door, no obligation if you can't make it on the night so no need to worry and save yourself 3 quid

Edited by dekka

Share this comment


Link to comment

Getting close to the Manhattan and we'd like to get as near as possible to our goal donation target of £50,000.0. The current figure we've donated to Professor Maitland's research is £40K, so if you've a spare copper (not a policeman!!!) or two and your attending buy a raffle ticket (or three) from the lovely Charity Soul ladies (and the most handsome dwarf in Morley) who will be going around the rooms on Saturday. We've some new soul memorabilia donated to the merchandise stall so Geoff will be able to show and persuade you to purchase unique and exclusive memorabilia. 

REMEMBER ALL THE PROFITS FROM THIS EVENT EITHER ENTRANCE FEE, RAFFLE MONIES AND MEMORABILIA PURCHASES, ARE DONATED DIRECTLY TO PROSTATE CANCER IN YORK - NO POCKET STUFFERS HERE!!!

Lilly Prentation.jpg

Edited by the Happy Hooker

Share this comment


Link to comment

Here we go , so looking forward to next weeks event , looking forward to adding to the total already donated so far which is £40k , so main room DJ times are all but confirmed so here goes ! 

4-5 Tony /Toc 

5-6 Paul weaver 

6-7 Joe bycroft

7-8 karate Bob 

8-9 Vic n lily miller

9-10 sammy n Stu 

10-11 Mopsey 

11-12 Fred benson 

12-1 Steve Burke 

1-2 Joe soul n robin 

what a great line up and I'm sure it will be a great night , so hopefully see you all there !!

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 16 October 2016 at 12:22, the Happy Hooker said:

Getting close to the Manhattan and we'd like to get as near as possible to our goal donation target of £50,000.0. The current figure we've donated to Professor Maitland's research is £40K, so if you've a spare copper (not a policeman!!!) or two and your attending buy a raffle ticket (or three) from the lovely Charity Soul ladies (and the most handsome dwarf in Morley) who will be going around the rooms on Saturday. We've some new soul memorabilia donated to the merchandise stall so Geoff will be able to show and persuade you to purchase unique and exclusive memorabilia. 

REMEMBER ALL THE PROFITS FROM THIS EVENT EITHER ENTRANCE FEE, RAFFLE MONIES AND MEMORABILIA PURCHASES, ARE DONATED DIRECTLY TO PROSTATE CANCER IN YORK - NO POCKET STUFFERS HERE!!!

Lilly Prentation.jpg

Gearing up (no pun intended) for a great night, hopefully the Prof will be there

Share this comment


Link to comment

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Sign up to Soul Source now.. Free & easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×