Jump to content
  • Sign Up

GRUMPY SOUL DEESIDE - Deeside


  Chemistry Lane  - Deeside   CH5 2DA   GB   welsh soul event

Soul Nights
jumpinjoan
   (12 reviews)

GRUMPY SOUL DEESIDE

Event Information

Final Grumpy of 2018 :thumbup:

Usual crew - Carl Fortnum, Dave Welding, Phil Threlfall, Joan Livesey plus guest Andy Dyson 

McLean's Bar, Chemistry Lane, Deeside

8pm - 3am

£6 on the door

grumpy oct dyson-1.jpg

Venue Map


Venue Address

Chemistry Lane, Deeside, Wales, CH5 2DA, United Kingdom

Contact the venue

Please contact the venue to confirm event and admission details before travelling

Members Comments

Hit the down arrow below to switch 12 reviews / 71 comments

Recommended Comments



27 minutes ago, pumpkinseed said:

Proper records being played ....... no pith on the evening , thank you . 

 

 

Round and black - that's how we like em 👍

Share this comment


Link to comment

Sexual deviant :lol:

Here's hotel info for anyone thinking about staying over and making a weekend of it. Do it, it's the last one this year and we're only a stones throw from Chester! 

Gateway to Wales Hotel 0.9 miles from venue

The Coach House 1.4 miles from venue 

Village Hotel, Chester St Davids 1.8 miles from venue 

Holiday Inn, A55 Chester West 2.9 miles from venue

Northop Hall Country House Hotel 3 miles from venue

Edited by jumpinjoan

Share this comment


Link to comment

Looking forward to Grumpies, the excitement is building already!

A great DJ lineup, shame Phil is on though, but you can't please all the punters all the time.
I love the street name too!

Share this comment


Link to comment

Looking forward to it too Andrew :thumbup:

Record peddlers are very welcome, actively encouraged in fact, but if you're bringing anything larger than a fifty box please do let us know so we can reserve a table for you. Can't wait!!! 

Edited by jumpinjoan

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 hours ago, Andrew Z Jackson said:

Looking forward to Grumpies, the excitement is building already!

A great DJ lineup, shame Phil is on though, but you can't please all the punters all the time.
I love the street name too!

Andrew Zee Jackson whats with the pseudonym, income tax dodge or witness protection scheme ???

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Louise said:

Andrew Zee Jackson whats with the pseudonym, income tax dodge or witness protection scheme ???

 

A long line of bunny boilers  😂🤣

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, jumpinjoan said:

Looking forward to it too Andrew :thumbup:

Record peddlers are very welcome, actively encouraged in fact, but if you're bringing anything larger than a fifty box please do let us know so we can reserve a table for you. Can't wait!!! 

Robbo is definitely bigger than a 50 box. In fact some times his bottom lip is bigger than a coffee table top.

Edited by Andrew Z Jackson

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Louise said:

Andrew Zee Jackson whats with the pseudonym, income tax dodge or witness protection scheme ???

 

only a mother..........

sand.png

Share this comment


Link to comment

I'm conscious that I haven't really contributed to the thread thus far; had some difficult times recently due to a family bereavement so it's all been a bit tricky. It has been touch and go as to whether I'd be able to make it next weekend but I'm really looking forward to filling my head with some positive stuff for a change and will be there with knobs on - and record box; I can only apologise Andrew :lol:

It's been waaay too long since we last got 'our lot' together, plus its Chalky's 80th and Andy D's on; why wouldn't you? Allied to all of that, my best friend's running it with me, plus I've missed Carl's all round mental stability, Dave's unbridled optimism and Lou's even temper.

Given recent events, I'm gonna be a bit bolder in life from here on in I think. So, hope to see loads of you next Saturday at our rare soul do which is usually quite a bit better than ok.

Phil     

Share this comment


Link to comment

For frig sake I’ve been getting myself all excited all week sarahs even bought her going out clothes to mine to just realise it’s next week 😣

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, PhilT said:

I'm conscious that I haven't really contributed to the thread thus far; had some difficult times recently due to a family bereavement so it's all been a bit tricky. It has been touch and go as to whether I'd be able to make it next weekend but I'm really looking forward to filling my head with some positive stuff for a change and will be there with knobs on - and record box; I can only apologise Andrew :lol:

It's been waaay too long since we last got 'our lot' together, plus its Chalky's 80th and Andy D's on; why wouldn't you? Allied to all of that, my best friend's running it with me, plus I've missed Carl's all round mental stability, Dave's unbridled optimism and Lou's even temper.

Given recent events, I'm gonna be a bit bolder in life from here on in I think. So, hope to see loads of you next Saturday at our rare soul do which is usually quite a bit better than ok.

Phil     

I thought Joan ran it with you Phil??

😂😂😂😂❤️

Share this comment


Link to comment

Grumpy Soul is ALWAYS the best, great folk, great venue, great music - everyone should go sample some of the magic 👍

An unmistakable calendar event - unless it's at half term and you're going away with the family 😐

Get yourselves there, it's worth the effort 😁

Share this comment


Link to comment

Loving your excitement Calvin and Sarah, see you a week today! Sad we won't see you Simon but I'm sure Andrew will tell you all about it 😄

Been asked again for hotel details so here you go for those who missed them :thumbup:

Gateway to Wales Hotel 0.9 miles from venue

The Coach House 1.4 miles from venue 

Village Hotel, Chester St Davids 1.8 miles from venue 

Holiday Inn, A55 Chester West 2.9 miles from venue

Northop Hall Country House Hotel 3 miles from venue

Edited by jumpinjoan

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, PhilT said:

I'm conscious that I haven't really contributed to the thread thus far; had some difficult times recently due to a family bereavement so it's all been a bit tricky. It has been touch and go as to whether I'd be able to make it next weekend but I'm really looking forward to filling my head with some positive stuff for a change and will be there with knobs on - and record box; I can only apologise Andrew :lol:

It's been waaay too long since we last got 'our lot' together, plus its Chalky's 80th and Andy D's on; why wouldn't you? Allied to all of that, my best friend's running it with me, plus I've missed Carl's all round mental stability, Dave's unbridled optimism and Lou's even temper.

Given recent events, I'm gonna be a bit bolder in life from here on in I think. So, hope to see loads of you next Saturday at our rare soul do which is usually quite a bit better than ok.

Phil     

80th 😂 cheeky f*****

Sorry for your recent loss pal, see young the bar next week.

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, PhilT said:

I'm conscious that I haven't really contributed to the thread thus far; had some difficult times recently due to a family bereavement so it's all been a bit tricky. It has been touch and go as to whether I'd be able to make it next weekend but I'm really looking forward to filling my head with some positive stuff for a change and will be there with knobs on - and record box; I can only apologise Andrew :lol:

It's been waaay too long since we last got 'our lot' together, plus its Chalky's 80th and Andy D's on; why wouldn't you? Allied to all of that, my best friend's running it with me, plus I've missed Carl's all round mental stability, Dave's unbridled optimism and Lou's even temper.

Given recent events, I'm gonna be a bit bolder in life from here on in I think. So, hope to see loads of you next Saturday at our rare soul do which is usually quite a bit better than ok.

Phil     

Unbridled Optimism FFS ! I've worked long and hard to be a pessimistic old bunt! you know, and now I've got to alter the age on Chalky's birthday card again, with the amount of tippex already on it I might scrap it and wait a couple of month and give it him as a christmas card instead !!!

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 11/10/2018 at 13:25, Andrew Z Jackson said:

The proper diagnosis for his condition is "sociopathic metrosexual deviant" 🙂 

Or normal in in plain English :wave:

Steve 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 11/10/2018 at 20:38, Louise said:

Andrew Zee Jackson whats with the pseudonym, income tax dodge or witness protection scheme ???

 

It's his stage name. From when zee was in the circus 

Steve 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 11/10/2018 at 22:02, Andrew Z Jackson said:

Robbo is definitely bigger than a 50 box. In fact some times his bottom lip is bigger than a coffee table top.

Lou said that she will be giving you a kick in the bollocks after casting aspersions about her Robbo. Thin ice mate. You know how touchy she is, well it's got worse she was 60 on Tuesday and she is even older than Blue Peter 

Steve 

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

It's his stage name. From when zee was in the circus 

Steve 

Thanks for that Steve, but it's really hard to get a look at someone's face when their be fired out of a cannon !!!!

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Louise said:

Thanks for that Steve, but it's really hard to get a look at someone's face when their be fired out of a cannon !!!!

It's easy. Andrew uses the special Canon that he needs.  He stays still and the Canon fires across the big top. I noticed that round and black was mentioned earlier in the thread. Obviously reference to Canon Balls. Which have been replaced as a fetish item with Andrew,  not that he,s a fetish item unless your Simon 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

It's easy. Andrew uses the special Canon that he needs.  He stays still and the Canon fires across the big top. Simples.

Steve 

To be honest i wasn't looking, i was hiding under the seat i suffer from 'Coulrophobia' (the fear of clowns) !

I bet you'd be really interested to know that the prefix of the condition 'Coulro' comes from the Ancient Greek word for "One who goes on stilts" ! impressive aye, from a Secondary Modern School kid eh ?

Dave

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Louise said:

To be honest i wasn't looking, i was hiding under the seat i suffer from 'Coulrophobia' (the fear of clowns) !

I bet you'd be really interested to know that the prefix of the condition 'Coulro' comes from the Ancient Greek word for "One who goes on stilts" ! impressive aye, from a Secondary Modern School kid eh ?

Dave

 

Dave. What sort of secondary modern school did you attend.  Stilts even in a dictionary .  kin hell if you had worn them or even  looked up the definition at my secondary modern school ( Fisher Moore.  Widnes) lthey would have set them on fire with you still wearing them. Or reading about them would have resulted in a experience not to be repeated on a public forum 

Steve 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Is it time for my afternoon nap yet. My ##### ##### has just gone outside for a spliff so i know that its getting nearer the time. ( The names have been changed to protect the not so  innocent) 

Steve 

Share this comment


Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. What sort of secondary modern school did you attend.  Stilts even in a dictionary .  kin hell if you had worn them or even  looked up the definition at my secondary modern school ( Fisher Moore.  Widnes) lthey would have set them on fire with you still wearing them. Or reading about them would have resulted in a experience not to be repeated on a public forum 

Steve 

 

Funny you should mention Fire, during my time at Coppice Lane Secondary Modern it got torched 3 times (not guilty) Once by some ex students, then a few weeks later due to chemical spilage by a trianee Chemistry Teacher, then after they'd demolished the orginal burnt out classrooms and replaced them with portable one's another local pyromaniac came along and sent them up in smoke! suffice to say everytime i hear a bell these days I run like fuck !!!

BTW how many fire exits does Grumpy's have ?

 

 

Edited by Louise

Share this comment


Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Louise said:

Funny you should mention Fire, during my time at Coppice Lane Secondary Modern it got torched 3 times (not guilty) Once by some ex students, then a few weeks later due to chemical spilage by a trianee Chemistry Teacher, then after they'd demolished the orginal burnt out classrooms and replaced them with portable one's another local pyromaniac came along and sent them up in smoke! suffice to say everytime i hear a bell these days I run like fuck !!!

BTW how many fire exits does Grumpy's have ?

 

 

Shouldn't the number of fire exits correspond with the number of fire entrances  ? 

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Shouldn't the number of fire exits correspond with the number of fire entrances  ? 

How profound ! well we'll get that Threlfall chappy a hi-viz jacket with 'Fire Marshall' on the back that should suffice !! Burn Baby Burn !!!

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Louise said:

How profound ! well we'll get that Threlfall chappy a hi-viz jacket with 'Fire Marshall' on the back that should suffice !! Burn Baby Burn !!!

 

Dave.  Let Phil do what he does best what ever that is 😛I have a certificate in fire marshalling and one off my psychiatrist /shrink person  so I've got it covered 

Steve 

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave.  Let Phil do what he does best what ever that is 😛I have a certificate in fire marshalling and one off my psychiatrist /shrink person  so I've got it covered 

Steve 

Fair enough Steve your gonna be the required psychotic fire marshall, so Phil can go back to being the heavy smoking carpark attendant and sound engineer to ye old pub crooner Carl (Wave YourHands In The Air) Fortnum, sorted bro !

Dave

Share this comment


Link to comment

Just catching up; oh my what a learned bunch you are with your knowledge of Ancient Greece and, ahem, other stuff :lol:

Spoke to the club over the weekend and all is good their end and more than ready our (and Triode's and Steve's) end. Roll on :thumbup:

Edited by jumpinjoan

Share this comment


Link to comment

As usual I'll be the one who didn't come from the furthest but I'll be here in spirits.
Good luck and I hope it's a bona time for all.

Sorry to hear life isn't as fab as it should be Phil, but you're on the upswing now :thumbsup:

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 minutes ago, chalky said:

FA8FF4D4-CE93-4059-BC62-751CC47FC3BF.jpeg.01707481d0f0abf19cac546a42129083.jpeg

Pre-Orders now being taken on the above 'Oh So Pretty' garment.

Who'd have thought when Phil Threlfall's illustrious cricket career came to a end he would one day be back in the public eye as a catalogue model ?

We thought of asking Joan but thought it might clash with the colour of her eyes as well as her sleeve tattoo, but hey !

Dave

Share this comment


Link to comment

For clarity, no 'uniform' required on Saturday. You won't be able to buy Constable's hay wain with a fist in the corner or NS yacht varnish either; not this time anyway. (There may be liquorice on the door: we accept no responsibility if you over indulge and shit yourself) 

It'll just be seven hours of dead good rare soul records, many of which you will struggle to hear anywhere else and certainly all in one night - apart from when I'm on, obviously - accompanied by a load of  balm pots jumping about to em and generally having a nice time.

 

Edited by PhilT

Share this comment


Link to comment
10 minutes ago, PhilT said:

For clarity, no 'uniform' required on Saturday. You won't be able to buy Constable's hay wain with a fist in the corner or NS yacht varnish either; not this time anyway. (There may be liquorice on the door: we accept no responsibility if you over indulge and shit yourself) 

It'll just be seven hours of dead good rare soul records, many of which you will struggle to hear anywhere else and certainly all in one night - apart from when I'm on, obviously - accompanied by a load of  balm pots jumping about to em and generally having a nice time.

 

Just for clarity:

A well used Scottish word (normally used in Glasgow) to describe a headcase, or a person slightly unstable usually (possibly not in this case) through drink.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Looks like you're all descended from Celtic stock then; Who Do You Think You Are would have a blooming field day!

One thing I'm happy to share is the usual stresses of running the night have been eclipsed somewhat by the thought of you balmpots turning up wearing the above attire  :lol:

Edited by jumpinjoan

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, eddiefoster said:

Could be worse Dave

 

814ubaf4TNL._UX385_.jpg

Thong and Willy Warmer variants coming soon, one size only to allow for sudden expansion mainly due to a crackly old acetate these days !, Unfortunately Phil refused to model these (poo-bag), mybe Mr Cunliffe can be persauded on his next trip to Benidorm ? They don't call Mr Baywatch for nought !

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
54 minutes ago, Louise said:

Thong and Willy Warmer variants coming soon, one size only to allow for sudden expansion mainly due to a crackly old acetate these days !, Unfortunately Phil refused to model these (poo-bag), mybe Mr Cunliffe can be persauded on his next trip to Benidorm ? They don't call Mr Baywatch for nought !

 

Now that would be a sight to behold 🤣😂😂😎

Share this comment


Link to comment

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links





×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.