Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Northern Soul & Motown @ The Royal Hall, Harrogate - Harrogate


  The Royal Hall  - Harrogate   HG1 2RD   GB

Allnighters
MikeHarris

Northern Soul & Motown @ The Royal Hall, Harrogate

Event Information

 

 

Northern Soul & Motown @ The Royal Hall, Harrogate 2018

Roman (Rolls Royce Barnoldswick)

Tot Johnson (Northwich, Cheshire)

Barry Innocenti (Ilkley Soul Club)

Keith Hudson (Harrogate)

Ian Smith (Bilton & Ilkley Soul Clubs)

Mike Harris (Harrogate)

 

 

March 17th 2018 is the first of what are planned to be four Northern Soul & Motown events at this iconic venue. The Royal Hall was extensively refurbished during the early part of this century and today provides a beautiful setting for the finest music that Soul can deliver.

This event is an All Nighter.

Doors open at 21.30 hrs

Event will Commence at 22.00 hrs and close at 06.00 hrs on Sunday morning

 

A licensed bar is available from 21.30 - 02.00 and thereafter will serve hot and cold non-alcoholic drinks until close

Future dates at this venue are provisionally booked for 16 June 2018 [All Nighter]; 27 October 2018 [All Nighter] and 29 December 2018 [Evening 20.00-02.00]. All dates will be confirmed in advance and will be advertised on www.soul-source.co.uk

The dance floor has a capacity of 400 people so tickets are strictly limited. 

Tickets now available 24/7 at Harrogate Theatre Box Office http://www.harrogatetheatre.co.uk Select the date of the event and buy safely through the online payment system or ring 01423 502116.

Tickets available from the Box Office, Harrogate until late on 17 March - ring 01423 502116 for details.  Some late availablity or returns will be held at the Royal Hall entrance until 11.00pm on Saturday 17 March. £20 cash only for these tickets please

The Royal Hall has a fantastic sprung dance floor and also provides excellent areas to be quiet and relax, licensed bars, seating areas and quiet zones to talk to friends old and new.

The beautiful Spa town of Harrogate has excellent attractions for visitors including the refurbished Turkish Bathhouse, Valley Gardens, many architectural delights, bespoke shops and world class restaurants and cafes. On street car parking is free after 6pm in most town centre streets. The town can also be accessed by Northern Rail to Harrogate Station (5 minute walk to the Royal Hall) with regular connections from York & Leeds. The No 36 Bus runs a service between Ripon and Leeds on a frequent basis and it stops outside the Royal Hall when travelling in either direction.

Royal Hall

Ripon Road

Harrogate

North Yorkshire

HG1 2RD

 

 

www.hicyorkshire.co.uk/the-royal-hall

image.png.2e13b6540be17bc971ecd81caeb5434d.png@NSMTRH

 

If you have any urgent questions please call Mike Harris on 07391089134

 

Royal Hall Dancefloor.jpg

Outer area of Kursaal.jpg

Venue Map


Venue Address

The Royal Hall, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 2RD, United Kingdom

Contact the venue

Please contact the venue to confirm event and admission details before travelling

Members Comments

Hit the down arrow below to switch 0 reviews / 56 comments

Recommended Comments



As a breathtaking iconic venue this is incredible and up there along with Hull City Hall, Blackpool Tower, Kings Hall etc so beyond our wildest dreams that there would be a Northern Soul All-nighter there, let alone being in the wonderfully attractive spa town of Harrogate which makes for a fabulous weekend break. Accommodation for all budgets close from b&bs, Travel Lodge & Premier Inn to the upmarket Hotel du Vin, Vintage Emporium (http://www.spaceharrogate.co.uk) , Wetherspoons in the old ‘Winter Gardens’ venue,  the legendary Betty’s tea rooms etc . 

As you’ve now guessed, we’ll be there !

Edited by andybellwood

Share this comment


Link to comment

The dance floor measures 20 metres x 16 metres and has just been sanded and resurfaced for the first time in 10 years.  It looks fantastic. It has a sound system to make any DJ proud!!!! Please note Talc is NOT allowed at this venue.

Royal Hall Dancefloor.jpg

Edited by MikeHarris

Share this comment


Link to comment

Somebody asked about seating areas in the venue so I have posted more pictures on the facebook page.

This theatre has 1000 seats but we remove just under half of them to use the dance floor.  There are 500+ seats overlooking the dance floor and stage.  In addition the hall is surrounded by an enclosed area for the Edwardians to promonade in spite of the weather outside.  This is a great area to rest, chat and have a quieter time inbetween dancing your socks off!!!!!!!!    

 

Outer area of Kursaal.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment

PLEASE NOTE..this event has nothing at all to do with Charity Soul who have run regular events in Harrogate for a number of years now...

Share this comment


Link to comment
28 minutes ago, wildtiga said:

PLEASE NOTE..this event has nothing at all to do with Charity Soul who have run regular SUCCESSFUL events in Harrogate for a number of years now...

edited for accuracy, Pete

Share this comment


Link to comment

up against strong opposition in Derby & Coalville on the same night, hope this gets the support the venue deserves.. not many better to rival it, the dance floor and décor rival Blackpool

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 13/02/2018 at 11:13, wildtiga said:

up against strong opposition in Derby & Coalville on the same night, hope this gets the support the venue deserves.. not many better to rival it, the dance floor and décor rival Blackpool

Hopefully,  ‘Yorkshire’ (and of course others) will get fully on board with this one - ‘our’ very own all-nighter and a unique opportunity. Many travel from Yorkshire travel distances to All-nighters - Kings Hall , 100 club , Rugby etc so with this one being ‘local’  and with the plethora of Yorkshire Northern Soul clubs and their attendees, but (surprisingly) very few on the same night,  here’s the opportunity to come together. 

Edited by andybellwood

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hey Andy…thanks for your support.

This series of nights was my passion based on a lifetime of love for the music, wonderful friendships and the most fantastic memories of what happens when people share a commitment to Soul Music.

I have invested my own money into this venture because I want Harrogate to become a venue that people will put in the diary for years to come (long after I have put away my vinyl)! Obviously there are other high quality locations throughout the UK.  The Royal Hall will rival anywhere in the country. The music will be every bit as good as any other venue and if this becomes a “fixture” in the Northern Soul Calendar, I will be a happy man.

So far we have attracted interest from ticket buyers up and down the country and some from outside the UK! We only have 400 tickets for each night so it will only take a modest number of “soulies” to say “I was at the first one” and that builds the memories for the next generation. Just look at Roman’s comment about how excited he is at being on at 10.00pm!!!!!! Top Man!

I’m looking forward to a magical night and I will love it all the better if I am surrounded by 399 like-minded people. KTF and roll on Saturday 17 March 2018.  Mike

Share this comment


Link to comment

Got Rolls Royce on Sat.24th Feb, get some flyers to me Mike, cheers Roman.Ilkley lads tell me you might get down yourself, Great.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Last allnighter I did in Yorkshire was at a place called the Wire with Butch and Ginger,bthat was Leeds some years ago.Ro

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hi Roman, I am coming to Barney on 24th for your last show this side of the summer.  I will bring some flyers with me.

Mike

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 2/13/2018 at 19:52, MikeHarris said:

Hey Andy…thanks for your support.

 

This series of nights was my passion based on a lifetime of love for the music, wonderful friendships and the most fantastic memories of what happens when people share a commitment to Soul Music.

 

I have invested my own money into this venture because I want Harrogate to become a venue that people will put in the diary for years to come (long after I have put away my vinyl)! Obviously there are other high quality locations throughout the UK.  The Royal Hall will rival anywhere in the country. The music will be every bit as good as any other venue and if this becomes a “fixture” in the Northern Soul Calendar, I will be a happy man.

 

So far we have attracted interest from ticket buyers up and down the country and some from outside the UK! We only have 400 tickets for each night so it will only take a modest number of “soulies” to say “I was at the first one” and that builds the memories for the next generation. Just look at Roman’s comment about how excited he is at being on at 10.00pm!!!!!! Top Man!

 

I’m looking forward to a magical night and I will love it all the better if I am surrounded by 399 like-minded people. KTF and roll on Saturday 17 March 2018.  Mike

 

Great to be first on,would have been later but for good reasons,will aim to get this off to a banging start,having done the Tower and Winter Gardens last year this looks like another top venue, see you at the go go,Roman

Share this comment


Link to comment
17 hours ago, northernhearts said:

Great to be first on,would have been later but for good reasons,will aim to get this off to a banging start,having done the Tower and Winter Gardens last year this looks like another top venue, see you at the go go,Roman

The 1st spot sets the tone and creates the atmosphere  - so really looking forward to what you come up with Roman  & wonderful that you are opening at the very 1st of what will hopefully be many many more All-nighters (and Alldayers ?) at the Royal Hall . 

Who knows, in the distant future there may be a question ‘what was the very 1st record played at The Royal Hall all-nighters’ ?

Share this comment


Link to comment

Evening 

i would have gone to Derby    but a nighter in Harrogate !!     got to be done as i live very close by   I hope the event works out ok      and i  will support the promotion            if you were in Romans shoes what would you choose as an opener  ?   

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
16 hours ago, martin l said:

Evening 

i would have gone to Derby    but a nighter in Harrogate !!     got to be done as i live very close by   I hope the event works out ok      and i  will support the promotion            if you were in Romans shoes what would you choose as an opener  ?   

 

Harrogate is interesting one as it has a legacy of 6ts RnB and rare(r) soul when the Manhattan Club had previous incarnations under Tony Dutton then Tony Hatfield and hopefully some of the sounds of those eras will be re visited . 

It’s a hard call , but would love to walk in to The Royal Hall with this playing .....

 

Edited by andybellwood

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, andybellwood said:

Harrogate is interesting one as it has a legacy of 6ts RnB and rare(r) soul when the Manhattan Club had previous incarnations under Tony Dutton then Tony Hatfield and hopefully some of the sounds of those eras will be re visited . 

It’s a hard call , but would love to walk in to The Royal Hall with this playing .....

 

Has to be said tho , I wouldn’t presume to suggest what Roman might play, it would sort of spoil the anticipation , but one things for sure I’m sure he’ll pitch it just right ...

Share this comment


Link to comment

im really looking forward to the event what a great venue ,the sound will be booming  and the place should be bouncing !

a nighter in Harrogate ffsake   

Warmest Regards 

Martin L 

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hi Martin

Looking forward to meeting you on 17th.  Please come and say hello.  Where are you from?

Mike

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Can anyone remember any soul nights in the past in Harrogate    PRE MANHATTAN ,    how about PGS in around  late 70s   i first heard The Burning Bush Keeps on Burning in there ,     annabellas all dayers  on sundays        any more anyone ?

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 2/16/2018 at 22:46, MikeHarris said:

Hi Roman, I am coming to Barney on 24th for your last show this side of the summer.  I will bring

10 hours ago, andybellwood said:

Has to be said tho , I wouldn’t presume to suggest what Roman might play, it would sort of spoil the anticipation , but one things for sure I’m sure he’ll pitch it just right

Share this comment


Link to comment

First record? I might be in there spinning from 9 30, will probably decide on the night 2 mns before start then change my mind, could be Birth of a play boy for you Mike or Kris Peterson,just as much, but let's see, Roman, see you at Rolls Royce on Saturday Mike, To.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 19/02/2018 at 21:07, martin l said:

Can anyone remember any soul nights in the past in Harrogate    PRE MANHATTAN ,    how about PGS in around  late 70s   i first heard The Burning Bush Keeps on Burning in there ,     annabellas all dayers  on sundays        any more anyone ?

A bit of info from a newspaper article about old Harrogate nightclubs .

‘Club: Intercon.

Location: Basement of Copthall Towers (now called The Exchange), Station Parade, Harrogate.

Era: 1970 to 1980s.

What was it like: Better known as Annabella's, this club at the bottom of Harrogate's tallest office block boasted flashing lights and fibre glass to create a cave-like feeling.’

Edited by andybellwood

Share this comment


Link to comment

Just a quick question....

I attended a couple of events at Harrogate's Royal Hall this past weekend and for both I received an email in advance warning that they would not allow any large bags or rucksacks.  They had bag searches in place on the door.  Have arrangements been made for the all-nighter to allow the usual types of bag?

I've already bought my ticket, it's not a deal breaker, but I just wanted to check whether they would allow larger bags for an event such as this.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Rucksacks and similar bags are not allowed as a security precaution 

Conventional hand bags are OK but there will be searches at the door to protect us all. 

I assume that you are referring to Adidas type bags?  I will check.

Remember no talc at this venue.

If you have any doubt please contact the Harrogate Theatre box office on 01423 502116.

 

If they tell you anything different please post it on this site.  I will contact the Theatre in the morning and double check the situation and I will post whatever they tell me.

Thanks for asking. Mike

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Latest Update on Security Information for The Royal Hall

"........ the following measures have been introduced for all our public entertainments.

  •  Please do not bring backpacks, holdalls, luggage or large bags, as these items will not be allowed into the Royal Hall or Auditorium.
  •  Visitors attempting to enter with any of the items described will be refused entry.
  • There is no storage facilities for such items in the venue and it will be left to the visitor to find a safe temporary facility to hold the item. 
  • Visitors with accessible and medical equipment are encouraged to contact the venue in advance for ease of entry.
  • You are permitted to bring up to 3 small bags each no one of which should be larger than 35cm x 40cm x 19cm. Such items may be searched as a condition of entry.
  • The venue is not responsible for late admission or non-admission as a result of this policy."

Finally, we ask that you support us and cooperate with our security team so they can efficiently carry out these measures to ensure your safety and that you are in the building in good time for the show.

Further information can be read at www.harrogateconventioncentre.co.uk

 

 

Edited by MikeHarris

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 27/02/2018 at 19:38, Spex said:

Just a quick question....

I attended a couple of events at Harrogate's Royal Hall this past weekend and for both I received an email in advance warning that they would not allow any large bags or rucksacks.  They had bag searches in place on the door.  Have arrangements been made for the all-nighter to allow the usual types of bag?

I've already bought my ticket, it's not a deal breaker, but I just wanted to check whether they would allow larger bags for an event such as this.

Please see information added 01/03/18

Share this comment


Link to comment

Thanks for posting.  Chance to renew friendships and memories on 17 March? Where did those 40 years go? 

 

Happy days

Share this comment


Link to comment

Public Safety at Our Venues – Northern Soul All Nighter

·         Please do not bring backpacks or large bags, as these items will not be allowed into the Royal Hall.

·         Due to the style and nature of this event, visitors who arrive with bags of the type shown in the images below, or those which are traditionally associated with this style of event will be permitted into the venue, but will be subject to searching.

                   

·         For all other types of bags our standard restrictions and search procedures will apply.

·         You are permitted to bring a small bag or handbag no larger than 35cm x 40cm x 19cm, or as a guide, A4 size. Such items may be searched as a condition of entry.

·         There is no storage facilities for such items in the venue and it will be left to the visitor to find a safe temporary facility to hold the item.

Bag Types3.jpg

Bag Types2.jpg

Bag Types1.jpg

Bag Types.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 27/02/2018 at 19:38, Spex said:

Just a quick question....

I attended a couple of events at Harrogate's Royal Hall this past weekend and for both I received an email in advance warning that they would not allow any large bags or rucksacks.  They had bag searches in place on the door.  Have arrangements been made for the all-nighter to allow the usual types of bag?

I've already bought my ticket, it's not a deal breaker, but I just wanted to check whether they would allow larger bags for an event such as this.

Hi Spex latest update dated 5/3/18 posted today.  SOUL BAGS ARE ALLOWED FOR THE ALL NIGHTER

Share this comment


Link to comment

When a reply is not forthcoming it always makes people a little bit apprehensive ,,,,, but I hope it will be a great night the place looks fabulous 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 13/03/2018 at 16:25, wildtiga said:

out of interest how many tickets have been sold ?? 

Thanks for ringing me last night Nige Carter.  I look forward to seeing you and your other half on Saturday at the Royal Hall make sure you've got your dancing boots on!!!!

Best wishes Mike

Share this comment


Link to comment

Sorry mike did not realise had to phone you personally for a simple answer to a very plausible question no offence but I really do hope it is a fantastic night and a good crowd 

Share this comment


Link to comment

monny1916

it is a fantastic venue, one that rivals anything in this country. I hope it finds its place in the niter calendar, but the price is putting alot of people off from going, when you normally pay £10-£12 entrance to the long standing all nighters.

I'm not against this or the promoter in anyway, just finding £20 hard to justify,£40 before you step foot in the place for 2 peeps

120 tickets sold at box office so far, so it the makings of a  good night... 

Share this comment


Link to comment

I was all interested until i saw the admission fee, likewise for two of us, with petrol on a 30 mile trip and drinks etc there wont be much change out of a ton.

Share this comment


Link to comment

12 hours to go before the doors open…..

 

The event will 100% go ahead tonight and everything is already set up in the Royal Hall. 

Please allow extra time for safe travel especially if you are travelling long distances.  Don’t worry if you are delayed, you will be allowed in.

It will be cold outside but the welcome will be ‘hot’ inside.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links





×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.