Groovesville

Guest Andy Kempster

Guest Andy Kempster

JUST GOT HOME FROM THE AFTER PARTY AND CAN SAFELY SAY I AM NOW OFFICIALLY BROKEN...

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR EVERYONES COMMENTS

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

What a great venue! Toby you are a gent sir. :thumbsup:

Two great rooms, rockin' R&B in one and alllsorts of soul in the other. Dave Abbott & Johnny Weston were spinning some super sounds. But that man Kitch, oh boy, top notch, top notch!!!

Good to see Chris & Marcelle, Chrissie & Ken, Steve Bish, Steve C, Karl & Kate Herd, Rob Chadwick, Tef, Benny and everybody else.

Fantastic night and long may in continue just down the road in that there Hitchn.. biggrin.gif

Well thats Groovesville #2 done and dusted,thanks everyone who came and made a great night,your right it is a great venue with top DJs and top sounds,along with fanastic people.

Im only just got over the after party at mine from around 3am till 11.30 am,with great company,my home looked like a bomb had hit it,but it was worth it,we did carry on with the DJ sessions with Mr Weston and Mr Abbott playing like demons thru' the morning......bet the locals love me NOT.

All the DJs on the night....Kev Draper , Danny Price , Neil Forbes , Dave Abbott , Kitch , John Weston all played outstanding records in the main hall,you were all rockin' fella's well done one and all.

The door staff Kenny(backdoor fame) , Chrissie(o) a job well done...thanks.

The R&B room DJs ...Lee Miller,Leon, Mark raison,Big Jon...you certainly know your stuff boys you had your room packed out all night great stuff chaps.

The people ...far to many to name but you know who you are,thanks for coming , listening, dancing and having a good time,its you people that make a great night out..thanks.

Andy Kempster my co promoter,well done son,we both knew in our hearts it would work and it has.

Me im off for a rest now recharge the batteries and start planning and booking the next one ready for July 10th (friday night next one)09 with Steve Calloway with the proffesionals appearing live at Groovesville soul club....

Thanks for attending a great night and we'll see you real soon.

Toby.

Guest Mrs Simsy

We had a great night! :lol:

Even better, i woke up this morning & my toothache had gone! :thumbsup: Must have been the dancing last night! :ohmy:

Thanks to Mr Weston for playing the Traditions. :lol:

See you in July! :ohmy:

P.S Photo's to follow shortly.

My first visit and it certainly won't be my last :lol:

The music in the R&B room was phenomenal... never heard so many class tunes played in one night.. :ohmy:

Dave Abbotts set was brilliant and my feet still hurt from dancing so much.... :ohmy::thumbsup:

A prodigious evening, Thank You...

When's the next ONE?????

My first visit and it certainly won't be my last :lol:

The music in the R&B room was phenomenal... never heard so many class tunes played in one night.. :ohmy:

Dave Abbotts set was brilliant and my feet still hurt from dancing so much.... :ohmy::thumbsup:

A prodigious evening, Thank You...

When's the next ONE?????

Friday 10th July 09

We are pleased that you enjoyed it as much as us,thanks for coming along

Toby.

Friday 10th July 09

We are pleased that you enjoyed it as much as us,thanks for coming along

Toby.

I did Toby.. :lol:

Thanks again for a Fab evening... :ohmy:

I can only add that i had a great night ..i know because the headache tells me so :ohmy:

Thanks for asking me to play some records really enjoyed it !

I can also say all the Cambridge lot enjoyed it and will be back :lol:

Guest Andy Kempster

I can only add that i had a great night ..i know because the headache tells me so :ohmy:

Thanks for asking me to play some records really enjoyed it !

I can also say all the Cambridge lot enjoyed it and will be back :thumbsup:

i am so pleased everyone had a great night, unfortuntaely, due to being the co-promoter i missed most of what was played as was constantly moving around making sure everything was running smoothly. one of the joys of promoting i guess. but i think i can safely say that we feel it was a job well done...again

can't wait for july and the next round of groovesville fun

have to thank all the djs who travelled far and wide to provide the awesome soundtrack to an awesome evening

see you all at a nighter/soul do soon...andy

:lol:

Guest Marcelle

Hi Guys & Gals your will all be pleased to know im able to log in AGAIN under my own no name YIPPEE ! no more posting "under Chris" so I can write what I want YEAH .... beware heheh

Well after a sticky start at the begining of our journey "motorway long delays & junctions closed" flashing every where a detour we took, only to end up back on the motorway into the long delays :ohmy: fortuntely with Chris at the wheel doing the best impression of "Lewis Hamilton" ever we made up time & arrived in Hitchon whilst it was still light !

After throwing our bags into the Hotel (Sun Hotel great hotel even better breakfast but best of all 5 MINS walk from the venue) off we popped into town, plenty of good secondhand shops for me & a lovely Italian Resturant for Chris (serves the best ever Banoffee Pie :lol: )

Met up early for a drink or 2 with the possee Toby, SteveC, Dave John Carole & Chrissie (nice to meet you Chrissie) As I watched Toby "clock watch" I suddenly remembered one of the many reasons I DONT miss promoting ... STRESS of waiting ...... phew !!!!

I was pleasantly surprised (& so pleased for Toby & Andy) to see as many folks there as I did in both rooms, it aint easy putting on a venue & even harder making it work, but you did it last night ........ WELL DONE its a great venue with alot of potential that will go from strength to strength .... SO COME ON DOWN !

Now thank you to my partner in crime for the evening Mr Weston, who after a drink or 2 decided to do an impression of Humpty Dumpty :thumbsup::ohmy: thankfully he didnt fall off the wall so managed to do his spot without any injuries !!

Musically a good mix of oldish & new ones (to me) so I was quite happy dancing away ....

Dont have any favs of the night as each DJ gave something to me ..... & thats what its all about for me a good mix of DJs that will keep me entertained throughout the evening THANK YOU ALL

Was great seeing & catching up with everyone Nicola, Sharon & Teff, Julie & Kitch, Ian & Rugbysoulgirl, Jen oh & I met a few new people so they can now be added to my "who can I annoy list" :lol: it just gets bigger ...

Have already booked our room for July cant wait to see hear & dance away to Mr Steve Calloway ...

One of the highlights of the night Karl H & Steve C spinning away into the arms of each other !

Guest Marcelle

i am so pleased everyone had a great night, unfortuntaely, due to being the co-promoter i missed most of what was played as was constantly moving around making sure everything was running smoothly. one of the joys of promoting i guess. but i think i can safely say that we feel it was a job well done...again

can't wait for july and the next round of groovesville fun

have to thank all the djs who travelled far and wide to provide the awesome soundtrack to an awesome evening

see you all at a nighter/soul do soon...andy

:ohmy:

Maybe next time you will have learnt how to use the STAMP then you will be a proper promotor :lol: will bring bingo sheets next time xx

Guest Marcelle

Just woke up. What day is it, where am I?........................and ooooooooooooooh my head and ankle hurt :ohmy: .

More later :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Your in the land of "oooooooooooooohhhhhhh " did you manage to match up all those drinks with their owners ? :ohmy::lol: or did you eventually confiscate them ? xx

Guest Andy Kempster

Very pleased this went well. the first was brilliant.........you deserve every success guys, top venue, top DJ's.........see ya at the next one deffo.

Russ

be good to see you there Russ, don't forget we have the first of our live acts next time Steve Calloway & the Professionals

Very pleased this went well. the first was brilliant.........you deserve every success guys, top venue, top DJ's.........see ya at the next one deffo.

Russ

Hi Russ,you were missed by your South Coast Soul Massive(their words)gang,laughing their tits off at the things you missed mate,what a pair of nutters Steve C & Bandit Abbott are they had us stitches all night and most of the next day,and boy can them 2 drink,just been to the recycling place 8 bottles of red,2 bottles Vodka,72 mixed cans(note for next time....get more in/restock).You may come to the next one and enjoy some of the same :) .

Playlists please from you outstanding DJs if you've still got any cells left ha ha.

btw who left his house keys/DJ box keys behind....one guess(the Benny Hill look a like/Oliver Hardy hairstyle)..We got 'em mate in post Tuesday am :lol: .

Marcelle i did'nt want to mention the new dance craze of intertwined twirling as done by Steve C & Karl but near perfection it was :D .

See ya next time Russ

Toby.

had a great night on saturday, great atmosphere with some great music :thumbsup: nice to see karl and katie ,dave and steve, john jen and nige, mr rains and kev and denise. :lol: i like to thank tody and andy for inviting me to dj , i really enjoyed it :lol: see you in july...... danny + linda

Firstly, a big thanks to the Groovesvile team for allowing me to spin a few tunes. Set over two rooms, a decent size crowd was in attendance and I was particularly impressed by the RnB Room. Musically it was not my thing, but it had a great vibe in there. It was also good to see so many younger Soulies in attendance as well. I think the badges on one guys Parka were older than he was :lol:

Although I was out of my comfort zone, playing 70's to a Northern crowd in the other room (particularly as most of that scene were probably at Yarmouth) I thought on the whole I was accepted OK despite my safe approach. There was also a great vibe in there as well & some extremely energetic dancing going on, to some top music. I even knew some of them as well!! :lol: I was particularly impressed with Dave Abbotts set, but had to bail out early as I was picking my daughter up in the morning from Nans so didn't hear Kitch or John Weston.

The Groovesville team have got a good thing building here and I'm sure it can only get better :thumbsup: All in all, this night is well worthy of your support. :lol:

Anyway, here's the playlist from me:

Jackey Beavers - Lover come back

Triplettes - That man of mine

Ron & the Embracers - You came into my heart

Del Davis - Baby don't wake me

Montclairs - Unwanted love

5 Degrees farenheit - Just let your heart be your guide

Fantastic Epics - Lets get together

Wales Wallace - Somebody I know

Persians - I don't know how

Bonnie Blanchard - You're the only one

Johnny Adams - You're a bad habit baby

Mark IV - Signs of a dying love

Lloyd Price - You brought it on yourself

Patterson Twins - Gonna find a true love

Nicky Newarkers - Woman

Differences - Five minutes

Eboney Essence - Let me in

Deirdrie Wilson Tabac - Angel baby

LT Davis - Love Recipe

Walter Jenkins - Back in my life

Masqueraders - I aint gonna stop

Johnny Bartel - If this isn't love

Guest littleelvis

Well it seems everyone here has had a great night. I would like to say my own personal opinion the soul room was not my cuppa Northern Soul. Yes you had people dancing but you would of had the dance floor packed if you a bit of the classics thrown in and im sure I do not speak for my self with this comment! Could we have a bit of mixture with the Music for future events please.

We did end up staying in the top notch R n B room which was fantastic, great atmosphere danced our socks off, well done to the Djs FAB. :lol:

Thank you very much :thumbsup:

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

a fantastic night in a fantastic venue,the addition of an rnb room is the

icing on the cake.well done andy, toby keep up the good work it aint easy.

pete. thumbup.gif

Guest Andy Kempster

Well it seems everyone here has had a great night. I would like to say my own personal opinion the soul room was not my cuppa Northern Soul. Yes you had people dancing but you would of had the dance floor packed if you a bit of the classics thrown in and im sure I do not speak for my self with this comment! Could we have a bit of mixture with the Music for future events please.

We did end up staying in the top notch R n B room which was fantastic, great atmosphere danced our socks off, well done to the Djs FAB. :ohmy:

Thank you very much :thumbup:

thanks for your comments, its always good to get an even opinion not just positives (although i prefer those :no: ), obviously this is a relatively new event and is still finding its feet. although i am not quite sure what you mean by classics...perhaps some examples of what you mean might be a pointer. if my memory serves me correctly kev draper kicked off the evening with a set of great stuff brimming with tip top classics. the problem is a 'classic' to one is not to another. its an objective thing i suppose. please feel free to pop some tunes up that you feel may have benefitted the night, feedback is always taken on board.

really glad you enjoyed the r&b room and weren't left having a poor evening, a bit of variety keeps things moving

cheers...andy

Guest Andy Kempster

Firstly, a big thanks to the Groovesvile team for allowing me to spin a few tunes. Set over two rooms, a decent size crowd was in attendance and I was particularly impressed by the RnB Room. Musically it was not my thing, but it had a great vibe in there. It was also good to see so many younger Soulies in attendance as well. I think the badges on one guys Parka were older than he was :wave:

Although I was out of my comfort zone, playing 70's to a Northern crowd in the other room (particularly as most of that scene were probably at Yarmouth) I thought on the whole I was accepted OK despite my safe approach. There was also a great vibe in there as well & some extremely energetic dancing going on, to some top music. I even knew some of them as well!! :ohmy: I was particularly impressed with Dave Abbotts set, but had to bail out early as I was picking my daughter up in the morning from Nans so didn't hear Kitch or John Weston.

The Groovesville team have got a good thing building here and I'm sure it can only get better :thumbup: All in all, this night is well worthy of your support. :no:

Anyway, here's the playlist from me:

Jackey Beavers - Lover come back

Triplettes - That man of mine

Ron & the Embracers - You came into my heart

Del Davis - Baby don't wake me

Montclairs - Unwanted love

5 Degrees farenheit - Just let your heart be your guide

Fantastic Epics - Lets get together

Wales Wallace - Somebody I know

Persians - I don't know how

Bonnie Blanchard - You're the only one

Johnny Adams - You're a bad habit baby

Mark IV - Signs of a dying love

Lloyd Price - You brought it on yourself

Patterson Twins - Gonna find a true love

Nicky Newarkers - Woman

Differences - Five minutes

Eboney Essence - Let me in

Deirdrie Wilson Tabac - Angel baby

LT Davis - Love Recipe

Walter Jenkins - Back in my life

Masqueraders - I aint gonna stop

Johnny Bartel - If this isn't love

well done Neil, despite the fact that you were an oasis of modern amongst uptempo sixties you played a blinder. the doors at Groovesville will always be open to you. hope to see you soon mate.

all the best...Andy

Hi Russ,you were missed by your South Coast Soul Massive(their words)gang,laughing their tits off at the things you missed mate,what a pair of nutters Steve C & Bandit Abbott are they had us stitches all night and most of the next day,and boy can them 2 drink,just been to the recycling place 8 bottles of red,2 bottles Vodka,72 mixed cans(note for next time....get more in/restock).

Marcelle i did'nt want to mention the new dance craze of intertwined twirling as done by Steve C & Karl but near perfection it was :thumbup: .

Toby.

Not a word from "Dave (Staton) Abbott" or "Steve (Staton) C", I think they are very busy researching the Staton family tree :no::ohmy::wave::lol:

QoFxx

Guest Andy Kempster

Not a word from "Dave (Staton) Abbott" or "Steve (Staton) C", I think they are very busy researching the Staton family tree :thumbsup::thumbup::lol::lol:

QoFxx

i'd forgotten about the staton incident....how funny was that...!!!

i'd forgotten about the staton incident....how funny was that...!!!

I also would like to make it known that "Staton Island" is NOT in Letchworth,Herts or does Candi Staton live in my home,she does not,Nor does Patrinell Staton,also the black squirrel population unique to Hertfordshire are not known as Staton Squirrels,and however Mac Staton is in my record room so there you two pair of Staton nutters :thumbup: .

On a more serious note i have been to the club today to retrieve a well known DJ from rednall B'ham house keys/record DJ box keys,so i should be posting them back today,but if i get any offers to keep the keys(offers of around £100,000 should do it)as to stop this demented said peson stop permorming at your local soul venue,so be it :thumbsup: .

Toby.

What a hoofin' nite! I really, really enjoyed it both musically and socially, I had a ball DJing...loved it :thumbup:

many thanks to Toby and Andy for the invite and everyone that made it such a great time and Steve for the company and laughs...big up to those before and after revellers, i still did not get to see the staton squirrel... :thumbsup:

Special thanks to Toby for the superb hospitality - you are a gent :lol:

Guest SteveC

Don't care if I sound biased but Disco Dave was awesome - FACT!!! Thoroughly enjoyed the music in general in particular Danny and Kitch's spots. Good friends, some of which who had travelled long distances (Karl, Kate, Chris, Marcelle) added to make the night a thoroughly enjoyable one. Good to see the likes of Helen and her mate from the homeland, Phil, Elaine and Kenny.

Many thanks to Johnny Weston, Chrissie, Carol and Andy K for the laughs afterwards and most of all for Toby's hospitality - top notch fella.

As for those Statons/Statens - watch your backs...they're everywhere especially if you need a good shave!!!!! :lol:

On a serious side....music was, like I said, top draw with, I hasten to add, MANY CLASSICS thrown in but like Andy stated one mans classic is anothers unknown. Hope all goes well for future events guys.

Don't care if I sound biased but Disco Dave was awesome - FACT!!! Thoroughly enjoyed the music in general in particular Danny and Kitch's spots. Good friends, some of which who had travelled long distances (Karl, Kate, Chris, Marcelle) added to make the night a thoroughly enjoyable one. Good to see the likes of Helen and her mate from the homeland, Phil, Elaine and Kenny.

Many thanks to Johnny Weston, Chrissie, Carol and Andy K for the laughs afterwards and most of all for Toby's hospitality - top notch fella.

As for those Statons/Statens - watch your backs...they're everywhere especially if you need a good shave!!!!! :lol:

On a serious side....music was, like I said, top draw with, I hasten to add, MANY CLASSICS thrown in but like Andy stated one mans classic is anothers unknown. Hope all goes well for future events guys.

Your avitar looks familiar, wasn't he the bloke in the cheap seats watching the grand prix who kept trying to sing :lol::lol:

QoFxx

Oh look a rare sighting of the Staton/Staten Bros

post-2137-1240355815_thumb.jpg

Guest SteveC

Your avitar looks familiar, wasn't he the bloke in the cheap seats watching the grand prix who kept trying to sing :lol::lol:

One in avatar is the UK CEO of The Staten Organisation.....have a feeling the one at Toby's was probably a "Fuyer" spy trying to infiltrate the Staten Black Squirrel sect in Herts!!! No chance - he's sussed!!

Edited by SteveC
Guest caz w

ty andy and toby what a brill night both rooms were fantastic, but for me daveabbott was the man. again though for all yr hard work, and hospitality im eternaly grateful. Perhaps next timethough could the after party have no stairs ha roll on next onexxxx

ty andy and toby what a brill night both rooms were fantastic, but for me daveabbott was the man. again though for all yr hard work, and hospitality im eternaly grateful. Perhaps next timethough could the after party have no stairs ha roll on next onexxxx

any after party of mine just has to have stairs :D ,maybe next time Caz no swallow dives from the top landings would help :thumbup: .

I agree with you on Dave Abbott,he IS the the man "The Staten man".

Guest Andy Kempster

me and toby actually thought you were dead...you didnt hlf hit the ground with a thud :D

Guest SteveC

any after party of mine just has to have stairs :D ,maybe next time Caz no swallow dives from the top landings would help :lol: .

I agree with you on Dave Abbott,he IS the the man "The Staten man".

Never a truer word spoken

had a great night on saturday, great atmosphere with some great music :thumbsup: nice to see karl and katie ,dave and steve, john jen and nige, mr rains and kev and denise. :lol: i like to thank tody and andy for inviting me to dj , i really enjoyed it :lol: see you in july...... danny + linda

Really enjoyed it too Danny ... both rooms excellent! Just like going back to a scaled down Dome. Nice to see old friends but NOT hear the same old tunes!! Some killers played by everyone. Well done Toby and partner , and thanks John W and friend for the head massage !!

Phil

If yr reading this, hope to see you and Sharon again soon, Ciro

Guest gordon russell

had a great time from 9 O'CLOCK onwards music spot on DAVE ABBOTT,CLASS MATE!!!.all the rest from danny onward top class......mixture of stuff ...superb :thumbsup: ......who played the ANTELECTS on FLODIVUER,now thats a rare tune....last one went for 8k :D:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MonkeyMod

Belated thanks to everyone for this night - especially for asking me to DJ a bit in the R&B room. Great to read the positive feedback on here - was a nice friendly atmosphere. Good luck with the next one.

Mark

Edited by MonkeyMod