Square Peg At The Bar Life

Square Peg at the Bar Life, Skegness,

It's been five months since the fire tore through the Square Peg and in that time the 'substitute' venue, the Bar Life has not only assimilated the Square Peg ethos but also added to it with a flavour of it's own.

This venue will be used to enhance the up-and-coming Skegness Weekender in September but that is not the sum of it's parts, it is, in isolation becoming one of the top venues on the East Coast Northern and Rare Soul Scene.

Hats off to the promoters who didn't let the 'Peg' fire burn down their ambitions to provide top notch evenings in the Lincolnshire Seaside Town.

This most recent event has had so much positive feedback it's almost like being back at the Peg again.

Resident SHARON 'K' started the evening off with a very good eclectic mix and three of her tunes were: 100% Pure Poison-You Keep Coming Back, John Edwards - Messing Up A Good Thing and the Rotations - When He Slowly Moves Away From You. (Sharon also played a tune first played out at the Peg last year which is growing in reputation around the 'scene' Poor Make Believer by Johnnie Taylor.

Next up was MIDGE from Lincoln who played an hour of mid-tempo and up-tempo modern and cross over which was very much appreciated by the ever increasing numbers through the door, his tracks included: Stage IV - Just Another Guy, Neo Experience - Human and Nina Simone - Touching &Caring although for me, the tune of the night was Richie Havens' - I Can't Make It Anymore, nice one Midge.

Second of the three residents up next, HOBBO who shared the decks with LITTLE JO from Cleethorpes and provided us with sounds such as: Sam Dees - Fragile, Handle With Care, Pages - Heartaches and Pains and the Continental4 - The Way I Love You.

Second guest MARTIN STANFORD from Peterborough went totally across the board and keeping the dancers dancing with tunes like: Shirley Lawson - One More Chance, The Pioneers - My Good Friend James and Phyllis Hyman - You Know How To Love Me, a set very, very well received from those on the dance floor to those on the chairs.

Third guest, Skegness' own Dave Raistrick playing 'at home' and, once again, playing a total mixture (as is the 'style' of the Square Peg at the Bar Life) including King Tutt - You've Got Me Hung Up, Executive Force - Midnight Lovin' and Ty Karim - Lightin' Up.

After this parade of top tunes by top soul spinners it was left for me to mop up until the 2:30 finish.

All in all a very, very good night in deed but don't take my word for it, ask of those who paid to attend.

Onwards and upwards to the May 16th event where guests Andy 'Tats' Taylor, Chris Forrest and Andy 'Smudge' Smith will join the hosts at what promises to be another excellent night at the Bar Life in sunny Skegness, the home of Northern and Rare Soul on the East Coast of this England.

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Midge

Never had anything but a good night out at this venue (in both it's locations) a lot to do with the friendly punters and truly Across the Board music policy. Set of the night for me personally was Martin Stanfords, a real pleasure to see a DJ who so obviously has a passion for the tunes he puts on the decks, and what tunes they were, Thanks Martin. Though I single this out as my favourite set all the sets I heard were enjoyable, a truly eclectic mix of quality soul music, see you all in May :ohmy:

Second of the three residents up next, HOBBO who shared the decks with LITTLE JO from Cleethorpes and provided us with sounds such as: Sam Dees - Fragile, Handle With Care, Pages - Heartaches and Pains and the Continental4 - The Way I Love You.

Glad the Bar Life is successful, sounds like you played a good spot Bri. Looking forward to the weekender in September and the Sat nite at the Bar Life

Kaz x

Guest joyfulsoul1

Glad the Bar Life is successful, sounds like you played a good spot Bri. Looking forward to the weekender in September and the Sat nite at the Bar Life

Kaz x

Hello Karen :ohmy: It'l be nice to see you in September.

As for me sharing the decks with Hobbo, I didn't do anything, it was his spot, I just took along a few records which he played :thumbsup:

We enjoyed the night , it really was across the board and the dancefloor was busy. Something for everyone so I know you will have a good time in the company of the Bar life crowd ( dyou know I was even bought a coffee) and of course the `charming' Bryan with a y. :lol: thanks for the cucumber, the wrinkles are almost non visible now.

Jo x

Guest hobbo49

Kaz x

really looking forward to seeing you kaz ,four years a long time
Guest hobbo49

Hello Karen :ohmy: It'l be nice to see you in September.

As for me sharing the decks with Hobbo, I didn't do anything, it was his spot, I just took along a few records which he played :thumbsup:

We enjoyed the night , it really was across the board and the dancefloor was busy. Something for everyone so I know you will have a good time in the company of the Bar life crowd ( dyou know I was even bought a coffee) and of course the `charming' Bryan with a y. :lol: thanks for the cucumber, the wrinkles are almost non visible now.

Jo x

glad the wrinkles have cleared up and a big thankyou for last nite .on double decking with me. and i never brought the coffee kaz. i only have money for beer ,you should know that

Guest Midge

glad the wrinkles have cleared up and a big thankyou for last nite .on double decking with me. and i never brought the coffee kaz. i only have money for beer ,you should know that

Mmmmmmmmmmmm are you sure mate :lol::ohmy:

All in I had a great night, a few drinky poos with friends, and some great music, midge spun a few of my favs, thanks m8, met someone i aint seen for 35 years, gave the snakehips a workout, job done wink.gif

looking forward to the next one, some dj whore from the borough goes by the name of Sludge on, anyone rate him, chris and tatts on too, now they are good cool.gif

Guest Midge

Will be there in May for Chris & Tats' set for sure.

And Jo, I didnt notice you had any wrinkles at all, so the cucumber must work, better see if I can get myself a job lot :lol:

Source Advert