Ramsey Lewis

Love Ramsey Lewis and always have, but my collection - a few singles apart - is a tad poor.

I'm especially fond of the mid career stuff he recorded with a full orchestral backing, eg Hurt So Bad. There's just something so moody and atmospheric about almost anything that came out of Chess at that time.

Question is this; which albums should I look out for from that period and in that style, as opposed to the groovy trio recordings? Are they on CD?

Thanks

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Richard Bergman

Love Ramsey Lewis and always have, but my collection - a few singles apart - is a tad poor.

I'm especially fond of the mid career stuff he recorded with a full orchestral backing, eg Hurt So Bad.  There's just something so moody and atmospheric about almost anything that came out of Chess at that time.

Question is this; which albums should I look out for from that period and in that style, as opposed to the groovy trio recordings?  Are they on CD?

Thanks

Colin

link

Try the "Mother nature 's son " album on chess - all Beatles covers - great record :ohmy:

Social source share

Get the Wade In The Water album. It was Ramsey's first with a big band backing. As well as the classic title track it has the first outing for Hurt So Bad and not a dud track in sight. Sound quality is terrific, as good as the 45s I'd say. You can get the original album for less than a tenner off ebay even from the USA. I even found a CADET postcard in mine inviting me to send in for a CADET catalog & newsletter to the legendary 2120 South Michigan address. Hurt So Bad was not issued as a 45 in the USA but was in the UK!

SLIM

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert