• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't say that it's dreary turd but i just don't like it. :lol:

Different courses for different horses & all that! :lol:

I would :lol: just does nothing for me :thumbsup:

I seen him sing it live and the crowd were going crazy for it, singing along - still did nothing for me :D

Social source share

Due respect for this number is my opinion, not sure about the younger crowd. Or indeed what this record means to folk either on or off the scene these days?

an amazing tune ! stunning, gorgeous, brilliant example of soul music to me

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

an amazing tune ! stunning, gorgeous, brilliant example of soul music to me

Agree very much, an absolute belter of a SOUL record.

Just my opinion of course which normally counts for f--k all :thumbsup:

Social source share

Due respect for this number is my opinion, not sure about the younger crowd. Or indeed what this record means to folk either on or off the scene these days?

I went to see him sing with my very own eyes at the 100 club on a Wednesday night the early 90s !

A night I will never forget!

I still have his signature ! (and a uk its a sad thing)

Now he is gone and all I have is a blistering mermory and a 45 or two !

I feel special

Mossy

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

A gut wrenching, tear jerking, heart felt, emotion packed slice of 6ts. Perfection!

Its such a sad song. All time classic for me.

Social source share

Great soul record. I am more and more convinced that some on here don't actually like soul music at all :lol:

what a load of freakin bollo*s. :lol:

i have said this several times now and it's statements like the above that prove me right time and again, some people believe they are the 'be all and end all' of what people have to listen to, like, dislike etc etc to be into soul.

i've not read such utter crap since joining this site :thumbsup:

Social source share

i have said this several times now and it's statements like the above that prove me right time and again, some people believe they are the 'be all and end all' of what people have to listen to, like, dislike etc etc to be into soul.

i've not read such utter crap since joining this site :thumbsup:

What, not even from me?

Mike I get this all the time because I don't like The Carstairs - I've even had abusive PM's just for not liking the Carstairs :lol:

I love The Drifter, I think it's an exceptional record - but if other people don't, I can't force them to like it, and it makes no difference to me whether they like it or not.

p.s. Mischief, trust me on this, the Long John Baldry version is actually rarer than the Ray Pollard version, nowhere near as good but very, very hard to find. I've had 4 Pollard issues and one demo over the years, just the one Baldry issue.

Social source share

p.s. Mischief, trust me on this, the Long John Baldry version is actually rarer than the Ray Pollard version, nowhere near as good but very, very hard to find. I've had 4 Pollard issues and one demo over the years, just the one Baldry issue.

cheers Pete :thumbsup:

I like baldry's version cause you don't hear it... if you know what I mean..

Social source share

I went to see him sing with my very own eyes at the 100 club on a Wednesday night the early 90s !

A night I will never forget!

I still have his signature ! (and a uk its a sad thing)

I was there that night, great night..

Managed to palm the poster ..

med_gallery_2216_93_15904.jpg

Social source share

I was there that night, great night..

Managed to palm the poster ..

med_gallery_2216_93_15904.jpg

it is advertised as his first UK appeareance - just out of interest, when was that?

I seen him in 90 or 91 @ a weekender (Morcombe or Great Yarmouth, hazy memories :lol:)

Social source share

it is advertised as his first UK appeareance - just out of interest, when was that?

I seen him in 90 or 91 @ a weekender (Morcombe or Great Yarmouth, hazy memories :lol:)

The 100 Club was 2 days before the weekend appearance at Yarmouth Mike.

I've got both those shows on video somewhere.

Social source share

One of the great enders for me just f*cking brillant tune as said before packed with emotion not ashamed to say brung a tear to the old eye at times listening to ray sing this one

Soulfully Kieran

Social source share

The 100 Club was 2 days before the weekend appearance at Yarmouth Mike.

I've got both those shows on video somewhere.

cheers Pete :lol:

I've got the Yarmouth video.

A fair while ago I was searching to try and find a copy of the weekender for Eddie Parker's performance - and you came up trumps for me :lol:

Social source share

This is a really great record and one the northern scene should be proud of rescuing from the dustbin of history.

I've always found it hard to fathom why this wasn't at least a minor hit somewhere on commercial release. It was thought of highly enough to spawn a couple of UK cover versions and older acquaintances have recounted tales of queuing outside Woolies specifically to buy it as a new release.

Around the time of Ray Pollard's appearances at Yarmouth, 100 Club etc. I was in contact with a guy called Jerry Jaffe from New York. He was the US manager of bands like The Jesus & Mary Chain, St Etienne etc. He was in the UK at the time of the 100 Club appearance and came along to see the show. He had grown up with Feldman, Goldstein & Gottehrer (the song's writers) in Brooklyn and after getting in touch with one of them (I can't remember which one, it was a long time ago) recounted the tale of the session which spawned The Drifter.

FG&G were The Strangeloves of I Want Candy fame. They had also written pop classics like My Boyfriend's Back for The Angels and great soul like Giving Up On Love for Jerry Butler. United Artists were keen to sign them to an exclusive deal where they would write, produce and record their own material in an attempt to become a kind of American version of The Beatles. As a sweetener they were given free reign to record anything they wanted for a few warm-up singles. Growing up as doo-wop obsessed kids they had been massive fans of The Wanderers and hand-picked Ray Pollard to record The Drifter, a song specifically written with him in mind and one who's pathos would mirror that of Ray's own life. Garry Sherman and the cream of NY session men were crammed into the studio to produce the most expensive session the boys had ever been involved in. Ray majestically nailed the song in a couple of takes and everyone left the studio convinced they had a worldwide smash on their hands.

For some reason that didn't happen. The record stiffed commercially and Pollard went back to singing in clubs and hotels. Feldman, Goldstein & Gottehrer went their separate ways (Richard Gottehrer went on to have a long and successful career in mainstream US pop music as a founder of Sire Records, producer of Blondie, The Go-Go's etc.) but always considered this song to be their lost masterpiece.

Social source share

This is a really great record and one the northern scene should be proud of rescuing from the dustbin of history.

I've always found it hard to fathom why this wasn't at least a minor hit somewhere on commercial release. It was thought of highly enough to spawn a couple of UK cover versions and older acquaintances have recounted tales of queuing outside Woolies specifically to buy it as a new release.

Around the time of Ray Pollard's appearances at Yarmouth, 100 Club etc. I was in contact with a guy called Jerry Jaffe from New York. He was the US manager of bands like The Jesus & Mary Chain, St Etienne etc. He was in the UK at the time of the 100 Club appearance and came along to see the show. He had grown up with Feldman, Goldstein & Gottehrer (the song's writers) in Brooklyn and after getting in touch with one of them (I can't remember which one, it was a long time ago) recounted the tale of the session which spawned The Drifter.

FG&G were The Strangeloves of I Want Candy fame. They had also written pop classics like My Boyfriend's Back for The Angels and great soul like Giving Up On Love for Jerry Butler. United Artists were keen to sign them to an exclusive deal where they would write, produce and record their own material in an attempt to become a kind of American version of The Beatles. As a sweetener they were given free reign to record anything they wanted for a few warm-up singles. Growing up as doo-wop obsessed kids they had been massive fans of The Wanderers and hand-picked Ray Pollard to record The Drifter, a song specifically written with him in mind and one who's pathos would mirror that of Ray's own life. Garry Sherman and the cream of NY session men were crammed into the studio to produce the most expensive session the boys had ever been involved in. Ray majestically nailed the song in a couple of takes and everyone left the studio convinced they had a worldwide smash on their hands.

For some reason that didn't happen. The record stiffed commercially and Pollard went back to singing in clubs and hotels. Feldman, Goldstein & Gottehrer went their separate ways (Richard Gottehrer went on to have a long and successful career in mainstream US pop music as a founder of Sire Records, producer of Blondie, The Go-Go's etc.) but always considered this song to be their lost masterpiece.

Very interesting Gareth, cheers for that. Those guys were also responsible fro the likes of "Determination" and "Tell her" for Dean Parrish, in fact they may have owned the Boom label. I think.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I wouldn't say that it's dreary turd but i just don't like it. :lol:

Different courses for different horses & all that! :no:

So Ian's poll is the direct result of a domestic disgareement, then? :lol:

Seriously, whether people like it or not (and I most certainly do), it's hard to fault its production or performance values.

Social source share

great record i've never got round to buying... i have the long john baldry version (xmas pressie from the mrs)

Also have the LJB version which I love as much as Ray Pollard. It is an absolute classic piece of soul, and a brilliant story in the song :lol:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I like thousands of soul records, I love hundreds but every once in a while a record does for me what only a superb slab of soul can do, that's bring the hairs up on my neck and arms, give me the cold shivers and wet the eyes. This track does just that. Heard it so many times but even now if the moods right it can still have that effect.

Love the track all the way through but when it gets to 2.07 in the vid, WOW!

Social source share

Story goes they had withdrawn the first release of "only a fool breaks his own heart" with "the drifter" on flip and re-released it few months later with "let him go (and let me love you)" on flip. Strange coincidence that "let him go" is the flip of Ray Pollard's "drifter"?

Social source share

i've not read such utter crap since joining this site :lol:

Oh really? :no: - let me post up a few links to a few other threads you've been missing out on :wave:

Find it very odd that someone into soul wouldn't like "The Drifter" - it's an all time great......but then I hear all about Bobby Goldsboro, Holly St James and stuff like "I'm shaking" or whatever it's called, and it all makes sense why some might get so upset....... :wave:

To me "The Drifter" is an all time great of this genre, and it's nothing to do with telling you what you should like.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Story goes they had withdrawn the first release of "only a fool breaks his own heart" with "the drifter" on flip and re-released it few months later with "let him go (and let me love you)" on flip. Strange coincidence that "let him go" is the flip of Ray Pollard's "drifter"?

I'm not sure about that Benji, I've never heard that it was withdrawn - not saying it wasn't, just that I've not heard of that theory. It's certainly the scarcest of his UA singles though. I think Let Him Go was reissued in 67 or 68. Definitely weird that he covered both sides of Ray's record though.

Social source share

I'm not sure about that Benji, I've never heard that it was withdrawn - not saying it wasn't, just that I've not heard of that theory. It's certainly the scarcest of his UA singles though. I think Let Him Go was reissued in 67 or 68. Definitely weird that he covered both sides of Ray's record though.

Just checked with Manship's site, LJB-Drifter came out on UA 1136 and Let him go on UA 1204. Can anyone date both releases? "Let him go" came out in Germany as well, with a nice picture sleeve. Been trying to find out if Drifter was released over here in Krautsville as well but didn't find any hint of that so far.

Went to see a LJB live about 15 years ago. After the gig I asked him about his Ray Pollard covers, he remembered both songs but wasn't aware they were released, he was given two publisher's acetates to listen to. Wonder which takes the acetates featured. Ray's released ones or unfinished demo takes?

Social source share

REMEMBER BUYING THE SOLD ON SOUL LP WITH THIS ON AND ALONG WITH GENE MCDANIELS WALK WITH A WINNER AMONGST MY FAVOURITE ENDERS. AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID EARLIER WITH SUCH EMOTIONAL VOCALS WHY EITHER DID NOT BECOME HITS IS AMAZING,OH AND THE REST OF SAID LP AINT BAD EITHER

the shortcuts - your eyes may shine

jackie deshannon - find me love

o'jays - hold on

sandy nelson - nothing's too good for my baby

danny wagner - I lost a true love

samntha jones - surrounded by a ray of sunshine

ray pollard - the drifter

spice - what about the music

little anthony - better use your head

shawn robinson - my dear heart

irma thomas - what are you trying to do

carl douglas - serving a sentence of life

garnett mimms - looking for you

betty turner - be careful girl

bobby goldsboro - too many people

gene mcdaniels - walk with winner

kev

Social source share

A bit of a cliche, , "Soul as deep as you like and then some" a stunning sound .

Social source share

Guest imcomunhome

Drivin to and from Edinburgh over the last few days listening for the first time to a commercial northern cd one of the kids got me as a gift. Ray Pollard's Drifter was on it. An exquisite song that moves your very soul. I think that most people will identify with the precarious position life places us in and as romantics all, probably all have a bit of the drifter in us. Couldnt just play it once but listened to it about 10 times over a few days and made me sigh each time. Really strange to come back, log on and find this record i had been mooning over as the subject of a poll. One of the all time greats is my vote :thumbsup:

Social source share

A record that really defies any adequate description. Desert island spin for sure, always a tad puzzled that people could DISLIKE it :ohmy::lol: . Anywhoo.

I'll never forget that night at the 100 with Clarky spinning to the left of the stage as we walked in, playing Art and Honey if my memory serves me. What great memories. RIP Ray and come back Ian!!!

Best

Jim :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cant get my head round that one Jim,

Ray Pollard is unbeatable on this to me, always reminds me of Clifton Hall for some reason. Interesting to see someone put up the B-Side, which to me is even more dance floor friendly, great side thats never really had any exposure as far as I know.

Drifter always reminds me of one of my first real mates on the Northern scene, sadly departed, 10 years ago this year funny enough so even nicer to hear this record now,

Timeless classic.

Jock...I remember Rob Marriot playing " Let Him Go...." at Blackburn or Mexborough, cant remember which. I`m 99% that he played it on a British demo.

I`ve still got Neil McKillops copy, which I bought for £5 when he was selling tunes. Neil is sadly missed :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

Just checked with Manship's site, LJB-Drifter came out on UA 1136 and Let him go on UA 1204. Can anyone date both releases? "Let him go" came out in Germany as well, with a nice picture sleeve. Been trying to find out if Drifter was released over here in Krautsville as well but didn't find any hint of that so far.

my LJB LHGALMLY is on a demo - UP 1204 - with a release date of 5.1.68.

my LJB Drifter is an issue, but there's a pic of a demo on popsike that looks like it's dated 3.6.66

and I've got a nice LJB poster hung in my front room...... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cant get my head round that one Jim,

Nor me - It's horrible!

There's another version of The Drifter, Mick Smith's got it, it is if I remember correctly, an Emidisc acetate of an unissued Polydor recording by a male vocalist - obviously British but not bad at all. That's a one off.

Also best to avoid "The Drifter" by kenny Lynch as it's a different song altogether.

Social source share

Nor me - It's horrible!

There's another version of The Drifter, Mick Smith's got it, it is if I remember correctly, an Emidisc acetate of an unissued Polydor recording by a male vocalist - obviously British but not bad at all. That's a one off.

Also best to avoid "The Drifter" by kenny Lynch as it's a different song altogether.

mucker pete d had the one your on about as well Pete

borrowed it me once, a emi disc from a london record fair

had stuart smith or similar as artist

think last time come up we sussed who it was

sure got clip of it somewhere, will post if stumble across it

Social source share

Guest t5vespa

One of the greatest records ever , though when I bought my USA copy blind , after a recommendation from Budgie [southampton ] in Wigan record bar for £5 , a guy asked me what I'd bought and replied " Why have you bought that slow s**t " !! Guess we're not all the same ....... :wave: Best,Eddie

tune

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!