• Replies 100
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Polyvelts

Big thumbs up from me ! At the end of a niter the lines 'So I go my way back to the highway' was quite apt...unless of course you were getting a train !!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

What, not even from me?

Mike I get this all the time because I don't like The Carstairs - I've even had abusive PM's just for not liking the Carstairs :thumbup:

I love The Drifter, I think it's an exceptional record - but if other people don't, I can't force them to like it, and it makes no difference to me whether they like it or not.

p.s. Mischief, trust me on this, the Long John Baldry version is actually rarer than the Ray Pollard version, nowhere near as good but very, very hard to find. I've had 4 Pollard issues and one demo over the years, just the one Baldry issue.

I actually prefer the Long John Baldry version to the Ray Pollard which I think musically is quite sparse compared to the LJB version. Im not saying the Rp is not good I just like the extra strings etc in the LJB version.

Didnt realise it was that rare Pete- I found the Lp in an old Hospital that had closed and then got rid of it when I got the 45. Whats the value then on a LJB?

Regards Steve

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

For me its one of the great soul records of all time, but I remain to be convinced that its a Northern Soul record.

Each to their own I suppose, the NS arena is big enough for all tastes.

Social source share

Great ender record.Saw a scooter at Cleethorpes at the weekend with a customised paint job called the Drifter--keeping the faith.Looked Great would have just finished it off to have a scan of the Uk demo on the scoot

have this as the picture on my phone,great record great artist

post-2681-1240865313_thumb.jpg

Social source share

REMEMBER BUYING THE SOLD ON SOUL LP WITH THIS ON AND ALONG WITH GENE MCDANIELS WALK WITH A WINNER AMONGST MY FAVOURITE ENDERS. AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID EARLIER WITH SUCH EMOTIONAL VOCALS WHY EITHER DID NOT BECOME HITS IS AMAZING,OH AND THE REST OF SAID LP AINT BAD EITHER

the shortcuts - your eyes may shine

jackie deshannon - find me love

o'jays - hold on

sandy nelson - nothing's too good for my baby

danny wagner - I lost a true love

samntha jones - surrounded by a ray of sunshine

ray pollard - the drifter

spice - what about the music

little anthony - better use your head

shawn robinson - my dear heart

irma thomas - what are you trying to do

carl douglas - serving a sentence of life

garnett mimms - looking for you

betty turner - be careful girl

bobby goldsboro - too many people

gene mcdaniels - walk with winner

kev

Echo that totally I can remember playing that to death back in the day, I couldn't find the 45, But what a great album Mimms, McDaniels & Pollard what a truly soulful trio I think Richard S made the choices and did the sleevenotes.

Now to get back to this thread, Likes and Dislikes are a personal thing, but one things for sure The Drifter is a song with soul by the buket load and you may dismiss it but you can't deny it !

Social source share

I actually prefer the Long John Baldry version to the Ray Pollard which I think musically is quite sparse compared to the LJB version. Im not saying the Rp is not good I just like the extra strings etc in the LJB version.

Didnt realise it was that rare Pete- I found the Lp in an old Hospital that had closed and then got rid of it when I got the 45. Whats the value then on a LJB?

Regards Steve

What was it suffering from? LOL

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...I've even had abusive PM's just for not liking the Carstairs :lol:

Er, not from ME may I add! :thumbup:

As for Ray Pollard. I like it but got tired of hearing it for a while. Coincidently however, I found myself singing it to myself just the other day! (Not having seen this thread at the time) Maybe I saw a copy for sale somewhere on ebay? unsure.gif I only have it on the Richard Searling UA compilation and wouldn't like to pay large sums for it, but it's certainly NOT a "dreary turd" in my opinion.

And why the desperate need for such excessive overstatement in regard to (Soul) records we don't personally like anyway? Surely ALL of the recording artists deserve a little more R-E-S-P-E-C-T from us, of all people!?? Save the nasty insults for the overrated product of the rock and pop fraternity! We are not so numerous that we can afford such totally unnecessary and spiteful divisions I think.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I only have it on the Richard Searling UA compilation and wouldn't like to pay large sums for it, but it's certainly NOT a "dreary turd" in my opinion.

And why the desperate need for such excessive overstatement in regard to (Soul) records we don't personally like anyway? Surely ALL of the recording artists deserve a little more R-E-S-P-E-C-T from us, of all people!?? Save the nasty insults for the overrated product of the rock and pop fraternity! We are not so numerous that we can afford such totally unnecessary and spiteful divisions I think.

It's not a dreary turd imo either. However for the sake of the poll there needed to be good, bad & indifferent options and the concise wording is down to the topic starter - me.

I didn't have a 'desperate need' for 'excessive overstatements', I simply wanted to know if (as I suspected) this particular record still meant something to those that were aware of it.

As a result of my poll, the stats show that the vast majority do indeed hold this record in high regard and I see that as a fitting tribute to the late great Ray Pollard.

Social source share

Regards Steve

I think I'd want 100 for the 45. I got 2 copies of the LP out of one shop once, but they were Italian copies. UK LP probably 50.

Social source share

It has never really done it for me. Nice enough, but just doesn't bite. Is much of its popularity down to the fact that most people only ever hear this at 7am after a hard night of dancing, when they're all tired and emotional? Maybe that's why I can't "get it" - I like to be in bed by 2am!

I prefer Little Esther Philips "Just say goodbye", Maxine Brown "not my baby" or Candi Staton "he called me baby" as an ender - or "come see what's left of me" - or Bertha Tillman "Oh my angel" (which I've got on a mint UK Oriole).

Social source share

It has never really done it for me. Nice enough, but just doesn't bite. Is much of its popularity down to the fact that most people only ever hear this at 7am after a hard night of dancing, when they're all tired and emotional? Maybe that's why I can't "get it" - I like to be in bed by 2am!

I don't know about that - I've never actually heard it played out in the 30 or so years since I first heard it on that Sold On Soul compilation. Hooked me first time I ever heard it.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

At the time the statement in essence was probably true for the majority, however I've always loved this track, even back then, it never ceases to 'get' to me when Ray reaches down & pulls that heart rendering cry, pure emotion.

KTF

Baz

One of the greatest records ever , though when I bought my USA copy blind , after a recommendation from Budgie [southampton ] in Wigan record bar for £5 , a guy asked me what I'd bought and replied " Why have you bought that slow s**t " !! Guess we're not all the same ....... :lol: Best,Eddie
Social source share

One of the greatest records ever , though when I bought my USA copy blind , after a recommendation from Budgie [southampton ] in Wigan record bar for £5 , a guy asked me what I'd bought and replied " Why have you bought that slow s**t " !! Guess we're not all the same ....... :thumbsup: Best,Eddie

As Eddie says and in my opinion too one of the greatest records of all time.

Anybody who say him sing this and all the others at either the 100 Club or at Great Yarmouth where I say him will never forget it.

Saturday afternoon at Great Yarmouth and Ian Clark was D.Jing when he says "We are in for a real treat tonight as we have the great Ray Pollard on" and he points at me.

I think who is he talking about so I turn round and there is this little old man standing behind me completely dressed in denim including a denim cap.

All the pictures that I had seen of Ray were either with the Wanderers or of him on his own but they were all as a young man so I didnt recognise him.

I then say the obvious "Are you Ray Pollard" in total awe and he says "yes" so I get the autograph book out and luckily Sandra had her camera in her bag for just such an occasion, and I got a brilliant picture of me with my arm around him signing my book.

Once I statred getting the my picture taken some other people asked who it was and when I told them it was like a stampeded to get his autograph and picture.

Absolutely brilliant for Ray as you could see how much he enjoyed it.

When he came on stage at night dressed with his Tuxedo on he looked every inch the star that he should have been and put on a brilliant show.

Best

Keith

Social source share

They played it at Cambridge last week as the lights came on and every one was leaving within seconds the floor was half full again with people singing there hearts out. Its stuff like that that keeps me coming back .......Top tune at the right time.

Social source share

Maximes '82 Brain Rae's one before eight...mournful, poetic genius.

It's down to your understanding of real soul as to wether you tick '1' Genius or '10' - Dreary Turd.

Is this kind of post where I get my 'holier than thou' moniker?

Answers on an Attivan.

Social source share

A lt of people would be swayed by tempo back then, records rejected out of hand, only to surface years later. In terms of its Soul credentials, I think it's absolutely faultless. The vocal is stunning, not to mention that brooding intro. As someone has mentioned Gene McDaniels, I must say I never really liked Walk With A Winner. It always sounded very cabaret act to these ears. Probably sacrilege, but what the hell.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

A lt of people would be swayed by tempo back then, records rejected out of hand, only to surface years later. In terms of its Soul credentials, I think it's absolutely faultless. The vocal is stunning, not to mention that brooding intro. As someone has mentioned Gene McDaniels, I must say I never really liked Walk With A Winner. It always sounded very cabaret act to these ears. Probably sacrilege, but what the hell.

One of the tunes I've listed to be played when I pop my clogs! All time classic of classics. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't know about that - I've never actually heard it played out in the 30 or so years since I first heard it on that Sold On Soul compilation. Hooked me first time I ever heard it.

Always played as the last record at Rugby Soul Club allnighters, and the floor is still full with the lights on !

Social source share

Guest s0ul45

It's 'shimples' for me. An awesome piece of soul music. If you don't appreciate this, it could be you're on the wrong site.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

It's 'shimples' for me. An awesome piece of soul music. If you don't appreciate this, it could be you're on the wrong site.

Although not a Northern record as such back in the early 70s because of the tempo this has always been appreciated on the scene as a class record in the northern ballad sense. Sounds kinda wrong and for me hard to put into words but it was tracks like this that seperated me, and others of my ilk, from the majority of 16 year olds back then. We could appreciate sounds like "The Drifter" and that other great ballad "Walter Jackson - Its an Uphill Climb to the Bottom" whereas most folks were buying The Sweet, Mud, Alvin Stardust, Bay City Rollers etc etc.

Social source share

Love it. Always have and always will. Lots of scootering memories associated with it for me too.

Kylee I'll have to put you over my knee and spank your sequinned knickers with a mint copy of the Carstairs until you see sense laugh.gif Can't see any other use for it, unless Pete S needs a coaster for his coffee obviously.

Social source share

Still got my U/A USA demo, had it most of my Northern Soul journey, had the Shrine thing years ago which went but 'The Drifter' towers over that as does 'It's A Sad Thing' which I also still hold in my collection, 'The Drifter' as soon as it starts just takes me to another place, there are many good records which do this but there are few that really nail the mood and the way we sometimes feel, listen to the words, the emotion, the passion, pain it's one of THE greatest performances of all time on vinyl because that's what is is a performance, it's been said before that to sing about pain and heartache you must have lived it first hand and Ray Pollard judging by this stunning record most certainly did or put it another way there are Soul singers who claim to be and there are singers who simply are pure Soul genius.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Love it. Always have and always will. Lots of scootering memories associated with it for me too.

Kylee I'll have to put you over my knee and spank your sequinned knickers with a mint copy of the Carstairs until you see sense :) Can't see any other use for it, unless Pete S needs a coaster for his coffee obviously.

I also said that I didn't like it tongue.gif:lol:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

What, not even from me?

Mike I get this all the time because I don't like The Carstairs - I've even had abusive PM's just for not liking the Carstairs :thumbsup:

I love The Drifter, I think it's an exceptional record - but if other people don't, I can't force them to like it, and it makes no difference to me whether they like it or not.

p.s. Mischief, trust me on this, the Long John Baldry version is actually rarer than the Ray Pollard version, nowhere near as good but very, very hard to find. I've had 4 Pollard issues and one demo over the years, just the one Baldry issue.

Ignore this

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

:( Hi Pete

what would manship rate this genuine and i am not f**king about EMI Disc i found many years ago in London B side is blank thats how you can tell if you did not know such things but i no you do!!PS I HAVE ADDED THE FLUFF ARTICLE AS IT REALY BELONGS HERE, DONT YOU THINK? :) DAVE KIL

post-13241-1242586999_thumb.jpg

post-13241-1242603989_thumb.jpg

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

boxing.gif Hi Pete

what would manship rate this genuine and i am not f**king about EMI Disc i found many years ago in London B side is blank thats how you can tell if you did not know such things but i no you do!! ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

I used to have the Emidisc of the other side!!!

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Kylee I'll have to put you over my knee and spank your sequinned knickers with a mint copy of the Carstairs until you see sense laugh.gif Can't see any other use for it, unless Pete S needs a coaster for his coffee obviously.

laugh.gif

I actually like the Carstairs. :D

I do think Ray Pollards vocals are amazing i just don't like the song. Never have never will. :D

Social source share

Still got my U/A USA demo, had it most of my Northern Soul journey, had the Shrine thing years ago which went but 'The Drifter' towers over that as does 'It's A Sad Thing' which I also still hold in my collection, 'The Drifter' as soon as it starts just takes me to another place, there are many good records which do this but there are few that really nail the mood and the way we sometimes feel, listen to the words, the emotion, the passion, pain it's one of THE greatest performances of all time on vinyl because that's what is is a performance, it's been said before that to sing about pain and heartache you must have lived it first hand and Ray Pollard judging by this stunning record most certainly did or put it another way there are Soul singers who claim to be and there are singers who simply are pure Soul genius.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thanks Mark

For posting just what i wanted to say...

To hear that tune in the early hours of the morning surrounded by the children of the night.... My heart... My soul... My life...

xx

Social source share

Thanks Mark

For posting just what i wanted to say...

To hear that tune in the early hours of the morning surrounded by the children of the night.... My heart... My soul... My life...

xx

I know it's sacrilige and I will get slaughtered for saying it but I actually prefer the Long John Baldry version

Right gloves on :boxing::boxing:

Social source share

Ray Pollard "The Drifter"

I will always associate this tune with my good old mate Stefan who passed away already 10 years ago now and defo much much too soon. He wanted me to play his favourite three 45s at his funeral. So I had them on a tape and was sitting with that tape and a recorder behind the organ while the pastor was doing the ceremony and played his three tunes in the chapel just the way he wanted it.

The last last song was the "Drifter"and it kept on playing while the cuffin was brought out to get buried. RIP Stefan my old mate.

Social source share

Ray Pollard "The Drifter"

I will always associate this tune with my good old mate Stefan who passed away already 10 years ago now and defo much much too soon. He wanted me to play his favourite three 45s at his funeral. So I had them on a tape and was sitting with that tape and a recorder behind the organ while the pastor was doing the ceremony and played his three tunes in the chapel just the way he wanted it.

The last last song was the "Drifter"and it kept on playing while the cuffin was brought out to get buried. RIP Stefan my old mate.

Its moments like this that we take with us on in our life of soul Marc.....

Only heard the other version a couple of years ago, sounded fantastic out loud in the Hideaway and a very nice surprise to me... Not a bad effort at all but just don't stab me in the heart like the Ray Pollard version...

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

got to agree with longy .i allso prefare long johns version :rolleyes: so much that am after it now but its proving very dificult :lol:

You can get it on the LP - Spotlight on Long John Baldry ( which is what actually have it on ) which also includes - Leave him and let me love you - another Ray Pollard tune, Stop her on sight which is absolutely bloody awful and a not too bad version of Fever

ATB

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert