Gold Stickers

this question may have been asked before but.. where do the gold "mr chips" stickers actually come from as a number of my 45s have them.the last one on a tamla w/d goin to a go go,which i purchased from a seller in delaware .also has anyone seen one on a non-soul 45 with one on.try removing one at your peril :thumbsup: its dug in like an alabama tick!!!!!. diddy.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

this question may have been asked before but.. where do the gold "mr chips" stickers actually come from as a number of my 45s have them.the last one on a tamla w/d goin to a go go,which i purchased from a seller in delaware .also has anyone seen one on a non-soul 45 with one on.try removing one at your peril :thumbsup: its dug in like an alabama tick!!!!!. diddy.

"Mr. Chips" was Harry Chipetz. I think - and I do stand to be corrected here - that he was involved with Universal Distributors in Philadelphia and that he sent out promo copies of forthcoming releases to Universal's wholesale customers, with his personalised stickers on them.

I'm pretty sure that's the story, but I don't mind if someone copes on here and tells me I'm wrong! :D

PS - just found this online!

Harry Chipetz began his career as a salesman for Scott Gross Company and later with Cosnat Distributing Company in Philadelphia. Later he joined with Bernie Lowe and Dick Clark to open his own distribution company, Chips Distributing. From there, Chipetz went on to become General Manager for Cameo/Parkway Records, and in 1967 he worked for Madara/White productions, where he remained until 1969.

In 1970 Harry Chipetz joined Sigma Sound Studios as General Manager/Vice President until he retired in 1982. His career in the Philadelphia music industry would last for 40 years. He was liked by many local Philadelphia artists and remains today one of the great contributors to music and the sound of Philadelphia..

...so I'm a little bit wrong, then....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

just found another one in my box jewel akens.. slice of the pie , and its a demo,so are all stickers on demos?

Not necessarily - I have a Vito and the Salutations "I'd Best Be Going" stocker with a "Chips" sticker on it. I guess it was a matter of whatever was sent to Chips as promotional stock, rather than 100% actual demos...

Social source share

The Chips stickers were indeed a promotional tool for Chips Distributors. The gold stickers were primarily designed to be stuck on promo items so as to form a 'relationship' between the plugger and the DJ. ie. Whenever the DJ played the record he would relate to the Chips 'plugger' he got it from.

Weldon McDougall claims to have 'invented' the gold stickers when he was working at Chips. His name certainly appears on a whole load of records from all over the Eastern States that went through Chips.

When Weldon went to work for Motown he continued the practice of 'stickering' on Promos and hence lots of Motown Demos also bear the gold sticker.

I have a whole roll of unused Chips stickers as a piece of memorabilia. Sad eh? :lol:

Social source share

Guest Eridu

also has anyone seen one on a non-soul 45 with one on?

I've got a garage record with a Chips sticker... Hey Gyp by the 3 1/2 on Cameo

Social source share

Guest veep1296

The Chips stickers were indeed a promotional tool for Chips Distributors. The gold stickers were primarily designed to be stuck on promo items so as to form a 'relationship' between the plugger and the DJ. ie. Whenever the DJ played the record he would relate to the Chips 'plugger' he got it from.

Weldon McDougall claims to have 'invented' the gold stickers when he was working at Chips. His name certainly appears on a whole load of records from all over the Eastern States that went through Chips.

When Weldon went to work for Motown he continued the practice of 'stickering' on Promos and hence lots of Motown Demos also bear the gold sticker.

I have a whole roll of unused Chips stickers as a piece of memorabilia. Sad eh? :thumbup:

Remember Dave??

As well as East Coast 45s I have a couple of Mirwood WDJs with Weldons "Chips" stickers on that he was plugging Mirettes & Jackie Lee "Temptation.."

DF

Social source share

Remember Dave??

As well as East Coast 45s I have a couple of Mirwood WDJs with Weldons "Chips" stickers on that he was plugging Mirettes & Jackie Lee "Temptation.."

DF

His stickers appear all over the place eh? I think if West Coast labels sent stuff for National distribution they'd inevitably end up going through Chips/Jamie Guyden/ and the like. Funnily enough Mirwood is the only label I've found with Weldon's stickers on them. Apart from Motown of course.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!