Edward Hamilton, Baby Don't You Weep

Suinoz

Anyone know if Edward Hamilton, baby don't you weep was ever repressed as a lookalike copy on Mary Jane. I have one that looks 'too new' to be an original. Can't find anything in J.M's books about it so any help from the experts appreciated, thanks. Sue. OZ.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anyone know if Edward Hamilton, baby don't you weep was ever repressed as a lookalike copy on Mary Jane. I have one that looks 'too new' to be an original. Can't find anything in J.M's books about it so any help from the experts appreciated, thanks. Sue. OZ.

There's a look-a-like repress with black-white coloured label, original is red-white-blue

regards from Aachen / Germany

Lazy

Social source share

REF.

EDWARD HAMILTON - MARY JANE

If anyone out there owns or has access to this coloured label bootleg, I'm offering a reward of £30 website credit to loan a copy and document it. Returned to you registered mail. PM me if you have one and can send me a copy.

john

Social source share

REF.

EDWARD HAMILTON - MARY JANE

If anyone out there owns or has access to this coloured label bootleg, I'm offering a reward of £30 website credit to loan a copy and document it. Returned to you registered mail. PM me if you have one and can send me a copy.

john

John - there was one went through eBay on 15 April. I contacted the seller and they said it didn't have the Nashville Matrix stamp.

Here's a pic - Mike Terry credit.

It got 16 bids and went for £104. It was clearly stated as a re-issue.

Seller valleyofsouls

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-1240816922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

John - there was one went through eBay on 15 April. I contacted the seller and they said it didn't have the Nashville Matrix stamp.

Here's a pic - Mike Terry credit.

It got 16 bids and went for £104. It was clearly stated as a re-issue.

Seller valleyofsouls

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

thanks but i need to have it in my hands to document all the matrix details and positions + scan out of sleeve, someone must be able to provide a copy. I can't remember having one.. any ideas on when it was pressed, recent times?

John

Social source share

Beejayzus, we did this whole thing about 2 weeks ago, the valleyofsouls copy was sold by Mick Smith by the way, and for those still incredulous about it's existence - I would liketo reiterrate that at least 3 of us on here have had one or held one.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Beejayzus, we did this whole thing about 2 weeks ago, the valleyofsouls copy was sold by Mick Smith by the way, and for those still incredulous about it's existence - I would liketo reiterrate that at least 3 of us on here have had one or held one.

Pete et al-----this is my fave record of all time---as i understand it--in 1977 i had the black and white bootleg as its all i cud afford---- about 3 yrs later i obtained ths-e coloured copy(with no mention of Mike Terry on the label)--i then heard about the 2nd. issue which came out in Detroit about 6 months after the first one and is completely legal!!

I have had all 3 and can confirm the one bearing "Mike Terry,s name is a lot brighter in colour and does indeed look "newer"

To re-iterate the only boot/illegal re-issue i believe is the black and white one from about 1978(when it was "big" at Wigan).

I certainly hope so as i know a few people like me--who have paid £100 or more for the "Mike Terry" one.

All this is only my opinion of an ACE record!!

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Pete et al-----this is my fave record of all time---as i understand it--in 1977 i had the black and white bootleg as its all i cud afford---- about 3 yrs later i obtained ths-e coloured copy(with no mention of Mike Terry on the label)--i then heard about the 2nd. issue which came out in Detroit about 6 months after the first one and is completely legal!!

I have had all 3 and can confirm the one bearing "Mike Terry,s name is a lot brighter in colour and does indeed look "newer"

To re-iterate the only boot/illegal re-issue i believe is the black and white one from about 1978(when it was "big" at Wigan).

I certainly hope so as i know a few people like me--who have paid £100 or more for the "Mike Terry" one.

Tony Coleby

It certainly looks the part Tony but it's got no Nashville matrix stamp and it's on very flexible vinyl - the coloured label boot I mean.

Social source share

Tony Coleby

Tony,

With or without the Mike Terry credit both were pressed from exactly the same masterplate (i have both variations in stock at the moment) both have the Nashville matrix etc. etc. What I need is this coloured (Pete S. says flexi vinyl press) that's a 2nd. press.

So if anyone has a copy with a coloured label WITHOUT the Nashville matrix I really would like to see it. Not just a scan, i need it in my hands so's i can document the matrix and vinyl type etc.

The Carrie 45s by Edward Hamilton were pressed and repressed on several occasions, no reason why the Mary Jane one wasn't, I've just not had a copy in the last decade or in memory. I would like to document all the details, so if anyone has one my £30 offer to loan it for 24 hours is still good...

John

Social source share

Tony,

With or without the Mike Terry credit both were pressed from exactly the same masterplate (i have both variations in stock at the moment) both have the Nashville matrix etc. etc. What I need is this coloured (Pete S. says flexi vinyl press) that's a 2nd. press.

So if anyone has a copy with a coloured label WITHOUT the Nashville matrix I really would like to see it. Not just a scan, i need it in my hands so's i can document the matrix and vinyl type etc.

The Carrie 45s by Edward Hamilton were pressed and repressed on several occasions, no reason why the Mary Jane one wasn't, I've just not had a copy in the last decade or in memory. I would like to document all the details, so if anyone has one my £30 offer to loan it for 24 hours is still good...

John

have a mate up here, who not on the site, who has one of these john, i`ll contact him tonight and tell him to ring you REGARDS HARRY :thumbup:

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Apologies for raising this one again but I'm looking for a definitive position on originality and rarity - if possible.

There were two copies of Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't You Weep - Mary Jane for sale as of Wednesday this week. The first on JM's auction and the second on Brownie's site.

In Brownies description it states "Nashville stamped original and presented in its rarest form with the Mike Terry credit.."

ie "A Mike Terry Arr." on the label

In JM's auction copy the description states: "NOTE this copy is not only "perfect" it is also the rarely seen label variation with the "Mike Terry" crediting omitted.."

From the above post JM states that both originals come from the same masterplate so in which description is the more accurate in terms of the assertion of rarity.

As for originality I'm assuming that both designs are defined as original from the Nashville stamp given the existence of a coloured counterfeit.

So as far as desirability is concerned the copy without the Mike Terry credit with a Nashville stamp seems to be the one to have as it's a non-counterfeited stamped original design..

Comments for / against or to further clarify are very welcome!

Social source share

I've seen both legit versions with & without Mike Terry credit (with Nashville Matrix), but never without NM. Was there really a coloured facsimile boot with no stamp (presses in the '70s)? If so, it must have had very few pressed up.

The first time I saw it I couldn't believe it, it was as late as 2007 I think, I actually had an original in my box and the chap showed me his copy and asked me what I thought about it, I had the real one in one hand and the counterfeit in the other - I was just shocked that I'd never seen it before. This is the one I described in the previous thread which John Manship didn't know about. Then someone else said they had one - then someone else - then Mick Smith sold one - so they have either been pressed in the 70's and not let onto the market fully, or they were much later pressings. it does 100% exist though.

Social source share

The first time I saw it I couldn't believe it, it was as late as 2007 I think, I actually had an original in my box and the chap showed me his copy and asked me what I thought about it, I had the real one in one hand and the counterfeit in the other - I was just shocked that I'd never seen it before. This is the one I described in the previous thread which John Manship didn't know about. Then someone else said they had one - then someone else - then Mick Smith sold one - so they have either been pressed in the 70's and not let onto the market fully, or they were much later pressings. it does 100% exist though.

Is there a chance that Lou Beatty had it re-pressed in the '70s to take advantage of NS sales?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

• 8 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!