Tommy Neal Goin To A Happening Vocalion Boot ?

Guest Damien

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Damien

Right on both accounts, UK issue pressed for the Belgian scene. big center hole and photostat label.

Thanks for the info !

Cheers

Damien

Social source share

I do know they definately weren't licenced from Popcorn Wiley.

I don't know whether they were licenced from Popcorn Wylie though.

:lol::D:D:lol::thumbup:

Ok you got me :D

In my defence I was eating curried fish at the time and didn't give the post my full attention.

Now what's your excuse for spelling definitely wrong, smartarse? :thumbup::thumbup::yes::)

Social source share

:rolleyes: hi soulies on my volcalion it says 1968 recorded by vault records los,angeles/ vogue records ltd made in england :lol:

Popcorn licenced it in good faith to Vault in LA - agreed deal with them and sent tapes off but insists he never got the advance against royalties payment that was agreed.

When he found out years later that Vault has licenced it to Vocalion he was not happy and to make it worse label copy for Vocalion says it was recorded by Vault Records which of course it wasn't - Popcorn recorded it for his own company in Detroit.

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

Popcorn licenced it in good faith to Vault in LA - agreed deal with them and sent tapes off but insists he never got the advance against royalties payment that was agreed.

When he found out years later that Vault has licenced it to Vocalion he was not happy and to make it worse label copy for Vocalion says it was recorded by Vault Records which of course it wasn't - Popcorn recorded it for his own company in Detroit.

so when exactly was the vocalion issue made.

am i ready this correctly there is the vovalion issue that is not technically an official issue as Popcorn didnt agree to vocalion or didnt know and a boot of the vovalion for the belgian market

Social source share

Guest john s

so when exactly was the vocalion issue made.

am i ready this correctly there is the vovalion issue that is not technically an official issue as Popcorn didnt agree to vocalion or didnt know and a boot of the vovalion for the belgian market

Vocalion issue is from 1968.

If Popcorn Wylie never got the royalties payment from Vault, you could say that the Vault issues are bootlegs too.

I would imagine that any contract he had with Vault would include licensing to other territories (i.e. Vogue/Vocalion for the UK) as this should be in everyone's best interest - but if they didn't bother paying him for any of it, it's all a bit academic anyway.

At least the 'Belgian' issue is a clear-cut bootleg... :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 years later...

By all accounts, Vault Records were a dodgy outfit.

The label bosses bought the Chambers Bros contract from ABC in 1965 (I know not why ABC signed the group & then sold the contract on to Vault but they did). The group's ABC contract was for 3 records (45's / LP's ?) & had stipulated royalty payments designated.

Vault went on to release 5 LP's by them, plus numerous 45's & put their tracks on some compilation albums.

They then licensed the group's tracks for release overseas (as per Tommy Neal & Popcorn Wylie).

In all the time the group were on Vault (including residuals for later selling on of tracks for reissue), they never received one (thin) dime from Vault !!!

Social source share

Vocalion had been around forever; from 1916 - 1940. IThe name was reactivated by Vogue (France) in 1963. They licensed a stack of tracks from Duke / Peacock / Back Beat / Sure Shot from the infamous Don Robey in texas (questionable whether most of his artists ever got their proper dues). Tracks included a pile of Bobby Bland, OV Wright, Junior Parker etc.

They found a lot of interest in Europe (inc UK) from Soul fans in their material and looked for other tracks via Fat Fish (Leon Haywood) Everest (Jimmy Holiday) Galaxy (Rodger Collins) Vault (Tommy Neal). their biggest hit was probably the Olympics ' I Wish i Could Shimmy' with two of the other big sellers being Rodger Collins 'She's Looking Good' and 'Tommy Neal ' Going To A Happening', (both massive Twisted Wheel tunes) which as far as they (Vogue / Vocalion) were concerned were fully and properly licensed with dues paid in full.

The Collins and Neal 45's were in every respectable UK Soul collection through the late 60's and early 70's (mine included) and their legitimacy was never in question.

Then (I think around 5 years ago) a Belgian counterfeit appeared of Tommy Neal. It was a facsimile (albeit poorly printed - - - piss poor actually) of the UK 'Legit' issue and pressed without the centre.

It's easy to spot when you see it, clearly a non-UK pressing (see below).

But the other stuff is (IMO) about as desirable as authentic UK Soul collecting gets (especially the Red Demo's).

Have had a Red copy of Rodger Collins for decades but never been able to snag a Red Tommy Neal... yet!

Cash waiting folks :wink:

:thumbsup:

Sean

Just a thought - Benji suggests the Boot was UK pressed for the Belgian scene. This is probably the case, but all copies I've seen have been sold from Belgium (hence I've described it as the 'Belgian Boot') and it certainly doesn't look like a UK pressing.

Have shown the Belgian Boot (cheap, nasty, horrible), the UK issue in sleeve (perfect!) the missing piece in my collection, the very desirable UK Red Demo and the UK 45 issue with its centre knocked out (we used to do this to try and make em look like 'imports'... LOL).

post-4120-0-01385300-1333156856_thumb.jp

post-4120-0-04609500-1333156875_thumb.jp

post-4120-0-49509800-1333156892_thumb.jp

post-4120-0-03643300-1333156903_thumb.jp

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!