Your Top Record Ever! One Desert Island Disc

• Replies 171
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thought long and hard about this as I suspect most have but finally decided on Bettye Swann......... Make me Yours.

It's got everything and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up each time I hear it!!!!!

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Bloody hell that was brave (although I have to admit to having a soft spot for it myself).

Admitting that on here must surely be as tough as standing in your lounge at home as a misunderstood teenager, looking your mum and dad straight in the eye and saying "Mum, Dad, I've got something to tell you".

Ahh yes, but how many, as soon as they read the post immediately sang the chorus in their mind.......I know I did !

Social source share

Ahh yes, but how many, as soon as they read the post immediately sang the chorus in their mind.......I know I did !

:D:thumbup::)

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Carstairs - It really hurts Pete Smith

Wigan at its best thumbup.gif

MY MATE AT THE NITERS USED TO SAY THE CARSTAIRS WAS "TOO SLOW" TO DANCE TO?

AND I WOULD ALSO LIKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO APOLOGISE TO PETE FOR CALLING HIM "MAD". SORRY PETE, I DIDN'T MEAN MAD I MEANT BONKERS! :yes:

IT'S NOT REALLY FAIR TO CHOSE ONE RECORD, AS THEY CHANGE THROUGH TIME:

"WHEN YOUR LONESOME"

"MEAN IT BABY"

"CRYING OVER YOU"

"BELIEVE IT OR NOT"

"I CAN'T SEE HIM AGAIN"

"WHERE I'M NOT WANTED"

"IF THATS WHAT YOU WANTED"....... smile.gif

Social source share

crackin up - roy hamilton, just a pity theres not a version by elvis

as for non soul u2-one

non soul lp bat out of hell

Bat Out of hell was produced or mixed by Todd Rundgren who played on some tracks and co-wrote some.

The Title Bat out of hell -came from a song in the Album by Todd rundgrens Utopia(Adventurers in Utopia) "Shot in the dark"

Last verse last line - Mama took off like a "Bat out of Hell"

Just some useless musical information that I need my arse kicking for! :yes:

Social source share

Bat Out of hell was produced or mixed by Todd Rundgren who played on some tracks and co-wrote some.

The Title Bat out of hell -came from a song in the Album by Todd rundgrens Utopia(Adventurers in Utopia) "Shot in the dark"

Just some useless musical information that I need my arse kicking for! :yes:

Not as much as Gary does for suggesting it laugh.gif

Social source share

Despite what it says in my profile (Never had a love so good-Charles Johnson), I think the one record that would keep my spirits up on a desert island would be "I love her so much it hurts - The Majestics", a fantastic intro and upbeat tune that you just couldn't help to feel lifted by.

Social source share

Guest BIG H

FAVORITE NORTHERN IS TOWANDA BARNES - YOU DONT MEAN IT, SHE JUST SINGS THE F**K OUT THAT SONG

FAVORITE SOUTHERN SOUL TOUSSAINT McCALL - NOTHING TAKES THE PLACE OF YOU........ DEEP AS SLEEP

Social source share

Trippin' On Your Love - The Staple Singers.

Even though I've played this track to death over the years, when I haven't played it for a while then put it on again it floors me every time. Mavis' finest hour...

Martin.

top choice bud :D

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

Just some useless musical information that I need my arse kicking for! :D

i always thought that mr loaf was a replacement artist & the lp( bat out of hell) was originally to be released by jim steinman , i had another lp by js that was not dissimilar to bat out of hell, by js cant remember the title though

or was it just a urban myth

gaz

Social source share

Guest sandi

Not fair :thumbsup: , so many to choose from and all of them favorites for varying reasons.

So l'm afraid l'd have to settle for listening to non and just sing my head off everyday.

Social source share

Guest Ranger

This week

Walter Jackson - It's an Uphill Climb To The Bottom. Just oozes emotion

Next week could be totally different.

Kev

Social source share

I know it says one track, but I honestly cannot separate Frankie Beverley if Thats What You Wanted, and Love, Love, Love. Bobby Hebb

Motown is Stevie Wonder's version of I Hear a Symphony.

I can't even admit to myself which is the best.

Social source share

OK - I'm bored of these "I can't pick a top ten" comments - blah, blah, blah :lol:

Please just choose your all time ever (and forever) top 1 (that's ONE) record.

No evasion, obfuscation, procrastination, or indecisiveness please.

ONE TOP RECORD EACH AND THAT'S IT - ONE VISIT ONLY PLEASE, SO GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT!

OK mine is:

Jackey Beavers - Love That Never Grows Old (Revilot)

Cheers

Richard :lol:

:unsure: BOBBY TAYLOR & THE VANCOUVERS;;; Its GROWING. (do you no there original name?) now ders a blog. BURT. :D

Social source share

post-11211-1241293209.gif

Have to say I think that's a pretty cool reason!

Cheers :D

Richard

:unsure: AH NON SOUL; AC/DC;;;Bad Boy Boogie....AWESOME.

:lol: TOOTS&MAYTELLS.;;54.46 WOZ MY NUMBER..The dogs bollercowes.

THE DOORS;;;Roadhouse Blues...say nomore

play loads ov um in me cellar.PROPPA..X

Social source share

I'll go for one the best double siders - Young Brothers - What's Your Game / Baby then I can flip it over :D:unsure::lol:

Yes!!!

WHAT a record..........

Last heard this in Gloucester somewhere, just before it flooded I think

Didn't think this 45 existed anywhere where someone would actually play it..

Goose pimples now thinking about it

Anyone want to trade their copy :lol:

Social source share

I'll go for one the best double siders - Young Brothers - What's Your Game / Baby then I can flip it over :D:unsure::lol:

Yes!!!

WHAT a record..........

Last heard this in Gloucester somewhere, just before it flooded I think

Didn't think this 45 existed anywhere where someone would actually play it..

Goose pimples now thinking about it

Anyone want to trade their copy :lol:

if you heard it at glos all blues was me sold it now though :lol:

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

OK - I'm bored of these "I can't pick a top ten" comments - blah, blah, blah :unsure:

Please just choose your all time ever (and forever) top 1 (that's ONE) record.

No evasion, obfuscation, procrastination, or indecisiveness please.

ONE TOP RECORD EACH AND THAT'S IT - ONE VISIT ONLY PLEASE, SO GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT!

OK mine is:

Jackey Beavers - Love That Never Grows Old (Revilot)

Cheers

Richard :D

Northern -way too many to choose but-one that i like at the moment is mmmmmmmm let me see errrrrrrr

(scratch of chin errrrrrrr) lets go for The Ambers on Verve bouncy uptempo joyous dancable harmonies catchy yep The Ambers I Love You Baby

Best non soul Black-Wonderful Life

DJ

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I'd like to be on the same desert island as the people who chose Eddie Parker please.

And then I can have Oscar Wright 'Fell in Love'

Social source share

like a rolling stone - bob dylan

This old heart of mine - Isley Bros [ the record that got me into this feckin glorious mess ]

pete lyster

This Old Heart Of Mine was probably the record that got me into it as well - first heard it in the King Mark disco in Newquay in 1968 on holiday and I was hooked, line and sinker - them fellas cost me a small fortune! I could have bought me a castle with the money i've spent since then! If youre like me you change your mind as the years go on - I remember creaming myself over the Invitations and getting blown away at the Catacombs by That Beatin' Rythmn but if I had to choose it'd probably be The Marvelettes I'll Keep Holding On - has this got the shortest intro ever?!!

Social source share

Guest isis

The Creations "A Dream" - Zodiac...but then anything written, sung, produced, arranged or even breathed on by Fred Bridges is the Bassets assets. yes.gif

Social source share

No hesitation on my fave......Tony Galla "In Love". The lyrics, for me, really sum up how it feels to be in love. "I don't know where I'm going, don't know what I'm gonna do............etc.

Great record to dance to to top it off.

I just hope once I turn up at this desert island I can find a turntable!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert