Where's The Best Weeknder?

• Replies 65
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

depends on what you class as a weekender...

Do you want allnighters, or are you happy with 2 o'clock finishes.

Do you want Fri - Sun (or even thurs) or just a Fri night/Sat night (/Sun afternoon).

There's loads of "weekenders" that are, in my opinion, two expensive soul nights by the sea.

Social source share

depends on what you class as a weekender...

Do you want allnighters, or are you happy with 2 o'clock finishes.

Do you want Fri - Sun (or even thurs) or just a Fri night/Sat night (/Sun afternoon).

There's loads of "weekenders" that are, in my opinion, two expensive soul nights by the sea.

Morecambe Weekender - May 29th - 30th & 31st.

3 x 12 hour All Dayers - 1.00pm 'til 1.00am each day.

Brilliant atmosphere.

Totally across the board music policy.

Cost - TOTALLY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

three inexpensive soul days/nights by the sea.

Social source share

Brilliant atmosphere.

Beat me to it Andy.

Probably also the friendliest weekender as well along with the Wakefield City Soul Club weekender that I am just recovering from (also free).

Would also add Brid to the list, only £20 & without doubt the best weekender venue in the UK (IMO).

Social source share

Haven't been to every weekender but l reckon Whitby with

all it's charm would take some beating! thumbup.gif

Got back from Bamberg (Germany) yesterday (2nd consecutive year for me) I've travelled quite a lot, and must say that if its 'charm' you're after Bamberg would beat Whitby hands down (imho).It has world heritage status and is consequently literally stuffed full of charm

Ive done Rimini (the Northern not mod week-ender) and Prestatyn as well, never managed Cleethorpes but have heard good reports re music and quality of accomodation. For me personally, with the high cost of petrol in the U.K/crabby weather, European week-enders have generally been much more enjoyable ( though the Euro against the pound has negated this somewhat of late).

I'd like to try Madrid,the one in Perpignan (South of France) and the mod week-ender in Rimini, and Cleethorpes if someone could guarantee good weather?!? :lol:

Social source share

Got back from Bamberg (Germany) yesterday (2nd consecutive year for me) I've travelled quite a lot, and must say that if its 'charm' you're after Bamberg would beat Whitby hands down (imho).It has world heritage status and is consequently literally stuffed full of charm

Ive done Rimini (the Northern not mod week-ender) and Prestatyn as well, never managed Cleethorpes but have heard good reports re music and quality of accomodation. For me personally, with the high cost of petrol in the U.K/crabby weather, European week-enders have generally been much more enjoyable ( though the Euro against the pound has negated this somewhat of late).

I'd like to try Madrid,the one in Perpignan (South of France) and the mod week-ender in Rimini, and Cleethorpes if someone could guarantee good weather?!? :lol:

You don't want much do you laugh.gif

Glad to see Bamberg was the business..

x

Social source share

Brilliant atmosphere.

I'm hoping this may coincide with Northampton Town's first visit to Morecombe next season! :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

AUSTRALIA , of course ...

Ooh i'd like to go to a weekender there. :unsure:

I've only ever been to Cleethorpes but that's brilliant for atmosphere! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ooh i'd like to go to a weekender there. yes.gif

I've only ever been to Cleethorpes but that's brilliant for atmosphere! :D

I have been to the Oz weekender Kylee, they do look after you big time, make you feel welcome and Vodka is pretty cheap too :unsure: , you would have a blast...

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Told ya before....save your pennies & come on down.

Personally been away from the Uk for so long now, would love to get to Prestatyn... a few went over last year & had a ball.

KTF

Baz

Ooh i'd like to go to a weekender there. :unsure:

I've only ever been to Cleethorpes but that's brilliant for atmosphere! biggrin.gif

Social source share

hi ,best weekender ever, village soul cortavecchja italy , john and vicky

Good call, but maybe 3rd choice for me.

Used to be cleethorpes for me everytime but the Hilton weekender at Blackpool now wins hands down.

Soulvations Newquay weekender was very good last month too. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I have been to the Oz weekender Kylee, they do look after you big time, make you feel welcome and Vodka is pretty cheap too :thumbsup: , you would have a blast...

:thumbup:

Told ya before....save your pennies & come on down.

Personally been away from the Uk for so long now, would love to get to Prestatyn... a few went over last year & had a ball.

KTF

Baz

Hmm, where abouts is it in 2010? :lol::g:

I've heard lots of good things about Prestatyn, i know that they have fab live acts. Will have to spend next year travelling to weekenders all over the world by the looks of things! laugh.gif

Social source share

Brilliant atmosphere.

Have got to agree, have been to the last 2 and ov all the weekenders over the year, this is the one i most look forward to.

its like one big family party great music and even better are the people who make this such a brilliant weekend, and as you say its all FREE

But i would like to say that the day starts in the york 1pm - 2.00am friday 10am till 2.00pm sat then moves to smokeys 1.00pm - 1.30am then sunday its 10am till 1am back in the york :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Only been to 3 different weekenders.

Cleethorpes, Prestatyn and Blackpool.

For me the best is Cleethorpes. Prestatyn runs it close. Its bigger, but the early dates mean it can be a little um,,,testing in the chalets if half the electricity cards didnt work.

Blackpool was a total waste of space. A complete write off. I did give it a second chance when the London guys were shoved on at stupid o'clock when 88% of the crowd had gone to bed. It still wasnt any better, and the broken dancefloor that needed continual repair was the perfect metaphore for just how poor a weekender it was.

The only plus was the system used for buying drinks. Like in Argos. I thought that was pretty good ;-)

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Blackpool was a total waste of space. A complete write off. I did give it a second chance when the London guys were shoved on at stupid o'clock when 88% of the crowd had gone to bed. It still wasnt any better, and the broken dancefloor that needed continual repair was the perfect metaphore for just how poor a weekender it was.

The only plus was the system used for buying drinks. Like in Argos. I thought that was pretty good ;-)

Totally agree Mikey, what a great idea that was for the bar, others take note, no arguments on who was in front of you, pity about the Cala Gran, I quite liked it tbh but agree the floor was an absolute joke and the best of it is they still didn't do anything about it year after year, it was safer dancing on the carpet!

Lenny wink.gif

Social source share

You don't want much do you laugh.gif

Glad to see Bamberg was the business..

x

2 words Steve....HIGH MAINTENANCE :no: Anyway,surely Ady could sort the sunshine out for me? :wicked:

Edited by Delasoul
Social source share

Haven't been to every weekender but l reckon Whitby with

all it's charm would take some beating! thumbup.gif

:wicked: for a really short weekender theres nothing better than the twisted wheel manchester this sun 3 till 8 every fortnight try it folks you wont regret it

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it really does depend what you're looking for ...for me i've done cleethorpes and didn't like the saturday night at all , done prestatyn 5 times and only really enjoyed the first 2 so for me the best weekender was Roots of Rhythm ..... all my mates were there , the music was right up my alley and the atmosphere was like a family

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Have got to agree, have been to the last 2 and ov all the weekenders over the year, this is the one i most look forward to.

its like one big family party great music and even better are the people who make this such a brilliant weekend, and as you say its all FREE

But i would like to say that the day starts in the york 1pm - 2.00am friday 10am till 2.00pm sat then moves to smokeys 1.00pm - 1.30am then sunday its 10am till 1am back in the york biggrin.gif

[/ quote]

I agree.. without doubt the North Lancs weekender is like a big family party...it comes complete with a fantastic sprung dancefloor in Smokeys too.

This year for the first time there is going to be a top of the range bespoke sound system in Smokeys...provided by the Soulful Dance guys...driven up the M6....rigged...and a sound engineer thrown in for good measure too.

I've lost count how many top dj's there are now, giving their time for free.

The whole weekend is built on kindness and generosity.

Edited by souldancer
Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Had a few at our house i tell ya............ rolleyes.gif ok its cleethorpes and prestatyn for us............ :wicked:

Social source share

hope a few of you can make morecambe im really looking forward to it obviously

new website revamp launch soon from jason mills

www.seasidesoul.co.uk for more news and it will take you to the festival website

smokeys run by another sean oconnor yes thats right :lol:

heres their website

https://www.oconnorspub.co.uk/index.php?pag...ul-music-nights

https://www.oconnorspub.co.uk/index.php?mac...nt01returnid=39

mick dennisons york hotel website is here too

https://www.yorkhotelmorecambe.co.uk/home.html

blatant plug for a new soul show

starpoint radio 700pm till 900pm monday may 11th for more news on the weekender and two hours of soul music from the past present and the future

www.starpointradio.com

cheers sean

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Australian National in 2010 will be in Sydney, New South Wales, Oct or Nov

2011 Melbourne, Victoria

2012 Adelaide, South Australia

2013 Perth, Western Australia

2014 Brisbane or Gold Coast, Queensland

KTF

Baz

:lol:

Hmm, where abouts is it in 2010? :lol::lol:

Edited by bazabod_downunder
Social source share

HELP!!! Anyone out there that loves Whitby??!! :lol:

whitbys fine so are most of the weekenders mentioned.Dont forget this is ss and most members on here have strong ties to certain events [me included]so the only way to find out for yourself is visit as many as you can :lol: .

Social source share

I agree.. without doubt the North Lancs weekender is like a big family party...it comes complete with a fantastic sprung dancefloor in Smokeys too.

This year for the first time there is going to be a top of the range bespoke sound system in Smokeys...provided by the Soulful Dance guys...driven up the M6....rigged...and a sound engineer thrown in for good measure too.

I've lost count how many top dj's there are now, giving their time for free.

The whole weekend is built on kindness and generosity.

Social source share

HELP!!! Anyone out there that loves Whitby??!! :thumbup:

I loved Whitby, It was one of my favourites, I went to the first 4 or 5 I think, it's a super venue and a great town.

The fact they don't have niters works great because there is so much to do during the day in the town.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Cleethorpes is the one for me, but were trying (12 of us) Bridlington for the first time this year after hearing great report's, and after last year and the constant price rises we are giving Whitby a miss.

I still like Prestatyn as it's a good get together, but the numbers of people attending are decreasing rapidly.

Wally.

Social source share

Cleethorpes is the one for me, but were trying (12 of us) Bridlington for the first time this year after hearing great report's, and after last year and the constant price rises we are giving Whitby a miss.

I still like Prestatyn as it's a good get together, but the numbers of people attending are decreasing rapidly.

Wally.

Hope you enjoy it Wally :thumbup:

Rob

Social source share

Wally.

I'm tempted to try Bridlington this year, never been there yet.

Also having to consider swopping Cleethorpes for the Download "Monsters of Rock" Donnington weekender.... :thumbup::thumbup:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!