Best Bassline

....I'm entering the 'What's your favourite lentil' territory here but anyhow:

I fell you'd have to go some way to beat The Montclairs - 'Hung Up On Your Love'

20 years ahead of it's time and still stands up.

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

....I'm entering the 'What's your favourite lentil' territory here but anyhow:

I fell you'd have to go some way to beat The Montclairs - 'Hung Up On Your Love'

20 years ahead of it's time and still stands up.

The basslines provided by Bernard Edwards on " Good Times " and " I Want Your Love " , for Chic ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Do you know the story behind 'Freak Out' malc?

I seem to recall that " Freak Out " in the chant of " Le Freak " , replaced " F**k Off " , and it was the favoured phrase of Studio 54 owner Steve Rubell , when he vetted the people in the queue - " you can come in , but you can f**k off " ......

Am I right ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

I seem to recall that " Freak Out " in the chant of " Le Freak " , replaced " F**k Off " , and it was the favoured phrase of Studio 54 owner Steve Rubell , when he vetted the people in the queue - " you can come in , but you can f**k off " ......

Am I right ?

Malc Burton

In one!! :rolleyes:

422.jpg

Social source share

I loved your succint and full answer Malc.

You so knew you were right - I couldn't have squeezed a privet-leaf into the arse of your answer there mate> ha ha

Another insight into the song ......

" Le Freak " - or "' F**k Off " was originally written by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers as a protest song , who wanted it to be the anthem for everybody who gets p****d off by something in life .

I have never seen one , but there is supposedly a US 12" white label of the original studio cut for / of " FO " .

Until 1990 , " Le Freak " was the biggest selling 45 for atlantic in the States .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Another insight into the song ......

" Le Freak " - or "' F**k Off " was originally written by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers as a protest song , who wanted it to be the anthem for everybody who gets p****d off by something in life .

I have never seen one , but there is supposedly a US 12" white label of the original studio cut for / of " FO " .

Until 1990 , " Le Freak " was the biggest selling 45 for atlantic in the States .

Malc Burton

Imagine going Billboard # 1 and getting hoofed out of Studio 54.

f*** Right Off!!

I have an interview with Nile that one of me mates did with him a few months back, Emma - she does the Clubbing page on the Bin Dippers Echo - if you'd like to hear it Malc?

Social source share

Imagine going Billboard # 1 and getting hoofed out of Studio 54.

f*** Right Off!!

I have an interview with Nile that one of me mates did with him a few months back, Emma - she does the Clubbing page on the Bin Dippers Echo - if you'd like to hear it Malc?

PM me with an attachment if you will - burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk :rolleyes:

We had better stop discussing " other " records that were / are available Barrington , or the Soul Police will be knocking on our respctive doors ........

Let me return to the context of answering your original question , that of the best bassline on a " soul " record :

It has possibly / probably anything that James Jameson left his " signature " on .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

PM me with an attachment if you will - burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk :rolleyes:

We had better stop discussing " other " records that were / are available Barrington , or the Soul Police will be knocking on our respctive doors ........

Malc Burton

I have secured Gordon Jackson's ashes off ov Ebay from a marginal retro shite cop shop site www.deadupstairsdownstairsbutlers.com so I have full MI5 coverance - Gavin has been assigned to my case - don't worry, no comebacks from the old SP mate.

Social source share

I have secured Gordon Jackson's ashes off ov Ebay from a marginal retro shite cop shop site www.deadupstairsdownstairsbutlers.com so I have full MI5 coverance - Gavin has been assigned to my case - don't worry, no comebacks from the old SP mate.

It is 8 AM Barry - what are you doing up at this time ? You are usually under the duvet , following a night of palate cleansing .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

It is 8 AM Barry - what are you doing up at this time ? You are usually under the duvet , following a night of palate cleansing .......

Malc Burton

You've met the wife then?

Malc, I hate to tell you this but....you know those dreams you have when their is an intense cold eyed balding gimped-up fecker staring at you from the end of your bed-stead.

Well....it's actually me.

I sleep in your airing cupboard.

Social source share

Malc, I hate to tell you this but....you know those dreams you have when their is an intense cold eyed balding gimped-up fecker staring at you from the end of your bed-stead.

I think you will find it is 'there' and not 'their' Barry :rolleyes:

Larry Williams - Ask For One Good Reason - Okeh

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

I never tire of listening to the bass line in John Bowie's - You're gonna miss a good thing baby.

Ali

Social source share

Anything by the one and only James Jamerson.

The word Genius is used too often about a lot of people.

This man personified it !

No one can come close.

No one will.

BERNADETTE, GET READY, LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART, AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING, WHAT'S GOING ON, GIRL (WHY YOU WANNA MAKE ME BLUE), HOW LONG HAS THAT EVENING TRAIN BEEN GONE, AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH (Both Versions !!) THIS OLD HEART OF MINE...................

post-9122-1241349005_thumb.jpg

post-9122-1241349005_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Can anyone clear this up? Had a feeling that Carol Kaye played bass on "Bernadette" by the Four Tops and on the bass hits section of her carolkaye .com website she lists " I Can't Help Myself, Bernadette etc. - 4 Tops" as tracks she played on. Apart from playing approximately 10,000 sessions I was also amazed to know she'd played guitar on "La Bamba". Rhythm or that fantastic lead? Anyone?

Social source share

Can anyone clear this up? Had a feeling that Carol Kaye played bass on "Bernadette" by the Four Tops and on the bass hits section of her carolkaye .com website she lists " I Can't Help Myself, Bernadette etc. - 4 Tops" as tracks she played on. Apart from playing approximately 10,000 sessions I was also amazed to know she'd played guitar on "La Bamba". Rhythm or that fantastic lead? Anyone?

Carol Kaye did not play on any hit versions of Motown songs released on any of the Motown Labels. And this topic has been done to death elsewhere. Dr. Alan Slutsky refutes her claims here.

I enclose the killer point.

3) The West Coast Connection-Carol maintains that a great deal of Motown's output was being cut on the West Coast in Los Angeles.

That is true, but don't forget that Motown also had acts like Tony Martin, James Darren, and Soupy Sales signed to their label. There were also various Broadway and Las Vegas style orchestrated albums produced like the the Temptations in a Mellow Mood and The Four Tops on Broadway, not to mention the constant demand for filler material on albums. There was plenty of work to go around and Detroit could not possibly handle all of it. Frank Wilson who produced hits for Motown in both Detroit and Los Angeles supports Carol's claim that she worked numerous sessions for the company. However, he qualifies it by stating, "They used her a lot but not on the hard core R&B stuff. That stuff came out of Detroit. They didn't like her sound for R&B because she played with a pick. It didn't have that fat round sound that Jamerson got with his fingers."

Now if you can't tell the difference between a bass played with a pick and string plucked by a finger you should not be on here raising the question

Carole Kaye is a great musician and has played on 100s of hits many of which I own. I do have her playing on a What does it take but it's by The Fifth Dimension.

Can we get back on topic and I'll cite

Social source share

Now if you can't tell the difference between a bass played with a pick and string plucked by a finger you should not be on here raising the question

Felonious - your attitude stinks. I'm just asking a question. A simple referral to another thread that covers this ground would have been enough. But condescension? Get over yourself...

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Best Bassline ever on any track any genre is 'Graham Central Station - Earthquake' Larry Graham Pure F U N K

On the Soul scene i'd plump for 'Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby'

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

-The Brothers - were you ready for that- aint bad

Miroslav Vituous - New York city

But Stetsasonic - Talking all that jazz - Is pretty neat IMO

I think the Stetsasonic nicks heavily from Donald Byrd's Dominoes and then there's a sample of it on the b-side.

For me it's I'm cumin home in the mornin - Lou Pride and What's it Gonna Be - dusty, beginnings - Astrud Gilberto

Social source share

James Jamerson on the Velvelettes 'A Bird In The Hand'. As much as i don't like Carol Kaye's claims she plays on many motown hits, she does play on DILY by Frank Wilson, and that comes from Frank himself!

But does she claim to play on it? No she only claims to play on the hits.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Not an answer to the OP, but I've always loved the way the bassist on Fontella Bass' 'Rescue Me' manages to hold down a nice steady groove, and then fecks it up on the outro when he tries to show off....

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Two bass line faves would be James Carr - That's What I Want To Know & Gene Middleton - You Can Get It Now.

Social source share

Carol Kaye did not play on any hit versions of Motown songs released on any of the Motown Labels. And this topic has been done to death elsewhere. Dr. Alan Slutsky refutes her claims here.

I enclose the killer point.

Carole Kaye is a great musician and has played on 100s of hits many of which I own. I do have her playing on a What does it take but it's by The Fifth Dimension.

Can we get back on topic and I'll cite

:D what an attitude!. I'll guess you were having a bad day or the mention of Carole Kaye touches a nerve.

Anyway I'm in the Sam Dees camp I think.

Jayne.

Social source share

Bobby Patterson: I'm in love with you

Patterson Twins: Gonna find a true love (Lp Version)

Wah Wah Watson: Together (whatever)

The Whole Dawn Family: Seven minutes of funk

These four Soul (Funk) tracks have fantastic basslines! :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert