Bedford - Saturday 2 May 2009

I had a great time last night at Molly's new do in Bedford, the second one. I picked Steve G up in Cheshunt and we drove to Potters Bar where Karen kindly took over the driving. After what seemed quite a short journey, we were talking, we arrived in Bedford and eventually found a parking spot, it was busy there.

We had a short walk to the night club where the soul night was taking place. Molly was outside chatting to other soulies, after exchanging greetings we went up the stairs (quite a few of them) and entered the club. The bar is on the left as you enter and there is a large dance area with a wooden floor in front and to the side of the stage where the decks are situated.

Andy Kempster (Hitchin, Groovesville) was on the decks and played some good 60s, the type of tunes I enjoy, you know, the ones that have got a tune.

Steve G followed for 45 minutes and tempted me onto the dance floor with tracks like Sha La La.

Carl Fortnum took over from Steve and brought back memories of the Capitol Soul Club at the Dome. He played the Dells' Make Sure and followed it up with a track that sounded familiar, sort of early sound, might be a doowop group trying to make a soul record. Can anyone remember what it was?

Molly took over and played a good mix including a couple of my favourites, Karmello Brooks' Tell Me Baby and Ruby's Feminine Ingenuity (my request). He came up to date with Neo's Smile, Soul Brothers featuring Joi Cardwell's Let It Go and Kirk Franklin's Looking For You.

Steve took over for an hour and kept the floor busy, thanks for playing another of my requests, the current biggie Tommy & The Derby's Don't Play The Role. He also played Ernetine Eady's Let's Talk It Over, following with Yvonne Baker's You Didn't Say A Word, announcing that they were actually the same lady, I didn't know that even if everyone else does. Steve finished with the Japanese version of You Know How To Love Me.

Then it was Carl again who started with some 70s tracks, then going on to the 60s and again recalling happy nights at Tufnell Park.

At 2.30 Molly took over and played a slightly more Modern set after his early plays like Bonnie Herman and Marian Stewart. Anyone at a soul night who's not on the scene wouldn't understand, but we planned to leave, I went to the Gents and as I came out Molly was playing the Exportations' I Want You, just had to get out there and dance. The next one was Luther's Don't Wanna Be A Fool, it was Karen's turn to get out there, and then Molly announced that the next one was the last one. It was Sandra Wright's wonderful I'll Come Running Back, superlative soul music. That was it, but as an extra Molly played a version of Any Day Now, it was by Elvis Presley, b side of In The Ghetto, and it was a good version, imo anyway.

Time to depart, the police were out on the streets of Bedford, actually don't envy that side of their job. We got back to Potters Bar in double quick time, I run Steve back to Cheshunt, drove home and collapsed into bed, 5 am, and I was really tired. I didn't realise we'd had a power cut while I was out, and when I woke up the clock showed 11.30, got up to make coffee and then found it was 9.30. No wonder I'm a bit tired as I type this.

Hi to everyone who I talked to last night, what a friendly crowd; great to see Toby with a smile on his face again, good on you son.

It was a true across the board evening. Thanks to Molly and all the DJs. I'm looking forward to the next one in September with Soul Sam and Andy Dyson.

• Replies 5
  • Views 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest glyn-w

had a great time, good music from all the dj`s, had to go earlyer than expected so all those that i dident say bye to...bye bye lol..