Sussex Soul Club, Patching Sat May 2nd

Guest newman

Guest newman

A big thank you to everyone who came along and supported us on Saturday evening. Considering it was a busy Bank Holiday weekend and in the current economic climate it was another fantastic turn out, regular faces and quite a number of first timers were treated to a soul extravaganza straight out of the top drawer!

Steve Clancy's return to the decks after a long absence was pure quality, it will be a loss to the scene if he leaves it as long again before he puts needle to vinyl!

Steve Csordas's knowledge for what the floor wants and his enthusiasm behind the decks is second to none & it didn't take him long to find the volume knob on our new amp lol!

Linda Seddon kept the floor moving with choice oldies and up to date tunes expertly put together. It was just left to Steve and myself to keep the things simmering and load a few bullets for the big guns!!

It was the best night we've had so far at this venue, its growing in popularity with a welcoming friendly atmosphere and cracking music being played by dj's from all over the UK.

Pictures and playlists to follow, audible playlists can also be found on the Sussex Soul Club website along with past and future event info.

Thank you again

Graham, Steve & Christie.

NEXT EVENT "D-DAY" SATURDAY JUNE 6th

With guest dj's

Dawn Carman, Leicester - hot off the decks at Prestatyn where she was voted best up and coming dj.

Chris Thorley, Farnborough - his reputation on the scene precedes him and I for one am really looking forward to hearing him spinning some tunes again after illness, hope you're back to full fitness Chris!

Resident dj's

Steve McMahon - London, Worthing, Brighton & New York (The Gypsy Jock!)

Newman - Derby

MISS THIS ONE AT YOUR PERIL!!!

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Everyone seems to love this place and it's easy to see why. Nice, friendly atmosphere in very quaint set up. Great floor and sound system with always a great spectrum of sounds.

Don't change anything!

Cheers, Paddy :unsure:

What I particularly love about doing this venue is having an opportunity to listen to some supreme collections played out by top-notch DJs, that just happen to be good friends :D That's the most rewarding part of it, combined with the knowledge that people have travel such distances to attend - it's all very humbling. I agree totally with Graham's comments above about the night & am very chuffed to have been part of such a great evening. It was great on many levels; to see Linda rockin the crowd with her set was just brilliant, Steve Clancy's long overdue return to the decks was heart-warming. Just watching the way he enjoyed himself while dropping one gem after another was worth it's weight in gold - this man lives & breathes soul. And finally, Steve Csordas - the quintessential professional, Steve has such a treasure chest of a record box and knows how to use it. He knocked our socks off [literally] with his selections & energy & used the system to it's max wicked.gif ..very naughty but just the way I like it.

So, once again a HUGE thanks to all involved & all who travelled to make it such a pleasure. My sets were:

7:30 ~ 8:00

Sunfire - Step In The Light

Valentinos - I Can Understand It

George Soule - Get Involved

Jerry Butler - Chalk It Up

David Ruffin - Rode By your Place

Jimmy Ruffin - Tell Me What You Want

Patti Jo - Make Me Believe In You

The Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl

The Vibrations - Gonna Get Along Without You

Bobby Hebb - You Want To Change Me

Doug Banks - I Just Kept On Dancing

10:00 ~ 10:30

The Parliaments - Time

Darrow Fletcher - My Young Misery

Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure

Imperial Wonders - You Live Only Once

Marvin Holmes & Justice - You Better Keep Her

Numonics - Forever & A Day

GQ - Make My Dream A Reality

Luther - Don't Wanna Be A Fool

21st Century Ltd - Your Smallest Wish

Edited by deeve

Fantastic night again with some great sounds played - can't wait for the next instalment.

Cheers Manus

Cheers for your support, Manus - next one should be crackin' also - I've heard nowt but praise for Dawn from Graham & Chris as we all know is a legend. Will be tweakin' the system especially for this one & who knows, maybe my BIG delivery will be here by then :unsure:

Best,

Steve.

Guest Simon

Jimmy Ruffin - Tell Me What You Want

Fantastic tune, i've been nearly tempted to play this out once or twice, great to see it on a playlist!

Simon :thumbsup:

Another fantatstic night at Sussex Soul, I love the venue and the crowd and a pleasure to be asked to DJ again at this event, here is what I played on Saturday:

1st set 8pm

B.T.B - Do it To 'em

Chocolate Boys - Voltaire Pier

Soul Brothers Six - Some Kind of Wonderful

Gene Chandler & Barbara Acklin - From The Teacher To The preacher

Brooks & Jerry - I Got What It Takes (Part 1)

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart

Jr. Walker & The Allstars - I Ain't going Nowhere

Isley Brothers - Tell Me It's just A Rumour Baby

The Platters - Sweet Sweet Lovin'

The Belles - Don't Pretend

Barbara Acklin - Love Makes a Woman

2nd set 10-30pm

Mel Torme - Comin Home Baby

Julien Covey - A Little bit Hurt

Jr. Walker & The Allstars - Tune Up

The Isley Brothers - Take Some Time Out For Love

The Sapphires - Gotta Have your Love

Robert Parker - Let's Go Baby

Frank Butler & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted

The Vibrations - Cause Your Mine

Jimmy Fraser - Of Hopes & Dreams and Tombstones

Hank Jacobs - Elijah Rockin' With soul

Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground

Johnnie Taylor - Blues In The Night

Looking forward to next event on Saturday 6th June!!

Linda

Guest newman

Some great feedback yet again! People really do need to come along to this venue to experience what a cracking night it is for themselves thumbup.gif I looked down from the decks more than once on Saturday night to see just about everyone in the place up dancing, even getting carried away myself leaving the decks for a quick shuffle :wicked:

until Steve gave me a stark reminder the record had nearly finished and I hadn't even cued the next one up! :thumbup:

Anyway my playlist, I think in the right order but as I said earlier I did get a little carried away! :no:

8:30 - 9:00

Susan Barrett - What's It Gonna Be

Kiki Dee - On A Magic Carpet Ride

Gene Chandler - I Can Take Of Myself

Gladys Knight & The Pips - No One Could Love You More

Lynn Varnado - Wash And Wear Love

Edwin Starr - My Weakness Is You

Ike & Tina Turner - Dust My Broom

Sister Sledge - Love Don't You Go Through No Changes On Me

Eloise Laws - Love Factory

11:00 - 11:30

Del Larks - Job Opening

Clydie King - 'Bout Love

Spooky & Sue - I've Got The Need

The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow

Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle

Holland-Dozier - New Breed Kinda Woman

Four Below Zero - My Baby's Got E.S.P

Wil Collins & Willpower - Anything I Can Do

Glayd's Knight & The Pips - Baby, Baby Don't Waste My Time

Edited by newman
Guest BintofSoul

BintofSoul sisters had a fabulous night :lol: . Great venue, great people, great atmosphere and great music! Lovely to see Manus, Ginger Dave, Mick, Denis, Pat. Paddy and all othe other soulies, who I don't know by name, all having a great time :lol: . Really looking forward to the 6th June.

Nicki & Tracey

XXXX

Had a fabulous night, forgot what a great vibe soul nights create having not been to one for a fair few years now... Making new friends was the icing on the cake!

Many thanks to Christie and Graham for their hospitality on the night, thank you for sharing your home. :lol:

Also huge thanks to Steve McMahon and Graham ....for providing tunes that were uplifting for me and brought back some fantastic musical memories of Wigan, Stroud, Peterborough and Yate for me!!! :lol:

Last but not least to hear Mr Steve Clancy back on the decks was indeed a joy to the ears and soul! However I am biased of course...knowing him as I do rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to future events!

Michelle

Fabulous night!

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, after 15 years of wilderness it was great to play again.

A very friendly crowd who really know their SOUL you can play anything of quality here.

A cracking venue, great sound system.

I loved that people bought picnics along with booze, created a real (soul) family atmoshere.

Many thanks Steve Mcmahon for dusting me off!

Big, big shout to Christie & Graham for putting us up, perfect hosts.

Would love to play again. In the meantime my playlists went something like this:-

JESSIE FISHER - YOU'RE NOT LOVING A BEGINNER

LEN JEWELL - ELEVATOR SONG

EULA COOPER - LET OUR LOVE GROW HIGHER

JERRY WASHINGTON - DON'T WASTE MY TIME

MIXED EMOTIONS - GOLD OF MY LIFE

ANDERSON BROTHERS - I CAN SEE HIM LOVING YOU

LIFE - TELL ME WHY

EDDIE BILLUPS - SHAKE OF THAT DREAM

EXPORTATIONS - I WANT YOU

PATRINELL STATEN - LITTLE LOVE AFFAIR

AL KENT - WAY YOU'VE BEEN ACTING LATELEY

SILKY HARGREAVES - KEEP LOVING ME ( LIKE YOU DO)

DARROW FLETCHER - WHAT GOOD AM I WITHOUT YOU

MR. CALDWELL - LOVE BANDIT

GARLAND GREEN - ANGEL BABY

CHOICE OF COLOR - YOUR LOVE

MELVIN MOORE - ALL OF A SUDDEN

ERNIE JONSON - BIG MAN CRY

PATRICK HENRY - LOVING U

WILLIE DARRINGTON - NEVER SHOULD HAVE WALKED AWAY

Cheers,

Lord Steven Clancy

xxxx

Many thanks Steve Mcmahon for dusting me off!

Told you it's just like riding a bike, specially if you're a Lance Armstrong!

Best part of night for me was when Dave was warming you up like a prizefighter boxing.gif

:thumbup: Well done your Lordship, we want you back ASAP !! :thumbup:

NB: Just uploaded the full playlists to our website [link in signature] - mp3s will follow shortly :ohmy:

Edited by deeve
Guest newman

Thank you both - Lord C & Michelle - for your compliments & coming down to dj for us, it was a pleasure. I think Steve M has forwarded future dates of our events for you to check against your calendar but you don't have to be playing you're more than welcome anytime.

Guest newman

"Also huge thanks to Steve McMahon and Graham ....for providing tunes that were uplifting for me and brought back some fantastic musical memories of Wigan, Stroud, Peterborough and Yate for me!!! :ohmy: "

Edited by newman