Strange World Of Northern Soul

Guest baronsofsoul

Guest baronsofsoul

just watched strange world of northern soul and was just wondering the people interveiwed were commenting on the different sounds.The sound of the wheel, mecca,torch,wigan,ritz,cleethorpes and stafford seems they all had there own sounds that they broke onto the scene.As a brand new pin on the scene i was wondering if anyone could tell me whether there are any venues around today that play there music in the gene of these indivisual clubs or is it all mixed and jumbled up now.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

just watched strange world of northern soul and was just wondering the people interveiwed were commenting on the different sounds.The sound of the wheel, mecca,torch,wigan,ritz,cleethorpes and stafford seems they all had there own sounds that they broke onto the scene.As a brand new pin on the scene i was wondering if anyone could tell me whether there are any venues around today that play there music in the gene of these indivisual clubs or is it all mixed and jumbled up now.

Since most of the clubs featured in the documentary are now closed or demolished it's up to you to choose your venues to suit your tastes as most will play a good mix of oldies, rare and underplayed in some form or other. Then you have the venues that will include the more modern tunes in their playlists. All depends on what you are gonna like since you say you are new to the scene. Suggest you pick a couple of gigs in your area to test the water. The Twisted Wheel has since reopened in Manchester, are you near enough to try that one?? Just look in the events calendar, it's got all you need to know. Wherever you go mate just enjoy the mucic and the scene for what it is, AWESOMEand FRIENDLY. Stay soulful, Tony T BONE. OZ. Spreading The Faith Down Under.

Social source share

Guest baronsofsoul

Since most of the clubs featured in the documentary are now closed or demolished it's up to you to choose your venues to suit your tastes as most will play a good mix of oldies, rare and underplayed in some form or other. Then you have the venues that will include the more modern tunes in their playlists. All depends on what you are gonna like since you say you are new to the scene. Suggest you pick a couple of gigs in your area to test the water. The Twisted Wheel has since reopened in Manchester, are you near enough to try that one?? Just look in the events calendar, it's got all you need to know. Wherever you go mate just enjoy the mucic and the scene for what it is, AWESOMEand FRIENDLY. Stay soulful, Tony T BONE. OZ. Spreading The Faith Down Under.

cheers mate listened and danced to your spots at six hills months ago and shed igloo recently you play the more uptempo stuff i like just wondered whether there was anywhere i could go that say plays the ritz sound far as i'm aware only mr pipers venue advertised in this sort of gene [wigan] will be dancing to your next spot whenever your here next ktf

Social source share

cheers mate listened and danced to your spots at six hills months ago and shed igloo recently you play the more uptempo stuff i like just wondered whether there was anywhere i could go that say plays the ritz sound far as i'm aware only mr pipers venue advertised in this sort of gene [wigan] will be dancing to your next spot whenever your here next ktf

twisted wheel manchester only plays sounds that were origonally playe d at the wheel before it closed in 1971.

look on events for dates well worth going if you like old sixties soul and there is a friendly atmostphere with all ages atending from 18 to sixty plus all having a great time

spike chesterfield

Social source share

Barry has regular Ritz reunion alniters at Prestwich. Next one probably August but I might be wrong.

Best I can suggest. :D

Jayne.x

Social source share

Brian Wakelin runs a Mecca Reunion every year in Blackpool, gets 500+ in. (Aug/Sept time)

Social source share

Guest baronsofsoul

Brian Wakelin runs a Mecca Reunion every year in Blackpool, gets 500+ in. (Aug/Sept time)

thanks thats great news will try and get to all of those :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert