Foreign Language Northern

Foreign language Northern

Foreign slant

Let's Go Down To the Real Nitty Gritty how many foreign language Northernsoul tracks are there?

I understand that Motown released a few for French, Italian and Spanish markets, is this true?

Are there cover versions in a different tongue and can we hear them?

How many originally released none English language is there?

I know a German track "mien lebling ist wunderbar" sorry if this is the wrong title and spelling? It was always played on the scooter scene in Germany and I remember "Down Town" sang in German (not Northern I know)

">
Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Surely the greatest foreign language Northern Soul artist of them all ...

Italy's answer to Geno Washington ...

Here he is ... Mr Rocky Roberts !!!

Good call. Also like the Wess & The Airedales track "I'll Never Turn My Back On You". Sung in English, but an Italian recording.

Incidentally, Wess went on to represent Italy as part of a duet in the 1975 Eurovision Song Contest!

Social source share

I have Jimmy Radcliffe "Long After Tonight Is All Over" sung by Jimmy in Italian!

Also (incredibly) have the Temptations singing in Italian "The Way You Do The Things You Do" on Italian TM 45.

Both came with free garlic bread!

:D

Sean

Take it you don't have the original slices of garlic bread any more then Sean? :lol:

Social source share

I have Jimmy Radcliffe "Long After Tonight Is All Over" sung by Jimmy in Italian!

Also (incredibly) have the Temptations singing in Italian "The Way You Do The Things You Do" on Italian TM 45.

Both came with free garlic bread!

:D

Sean

GARLIC - BREAD - What together your joking aren't you, what next CHEESE - CAKE ?

Social source share

I'm sure Alan Walls had an acetate of Long after tonights all over by Jimmy Radcliffe in Italian or Spanish, on the back of Loves gonna get you by Mary Love (or whoever it was really supposed to be...)

My copy is the original Bell Sound acetate, with "The Forgotten Man" on the flipside (also sung in Italian).

Sean

Social source share

The italian version of Jimmy Radcliffe came out in Italy on a jukebox 7", there's a scan of it posted somewhere on Soul Source.

Motown released foreign versions of their bigger hits all over the world. I recall seeing spanish, french, italian and german versions done by Four Tops, Supremes, Temps, etc. The rarest and by far most collectable german releases are Temps "Mein girl" (my girl) (worth about 250 quid) and Marvin Gaye "Wie schoen das ist" (How sweet it is) (about 75 quid). The flipside to Marvin Gaye "Sympatica" is a german only release, written and produced by a german composer.

But on the Northern Soul side of things the only non-english track I recall is the Tielmann Brothers "Viel zu spaet" which is a german cover of Bobby Goldsboro "Too late". Certainly not Soul by any means but at least of some sort of relevance to Northern.

Social source share

there are many many italian version:

Panic is On (a che serve soffrire)

Walk With A Winner (e va, se hai deciso)

I Ain't Gonna Cry No More (mai pi¹ ti cercher²)

Long after tonight is all over (stavolta no)

um um um um um um (same title)

Love potion n°9 (Non ho dormito mai)

Give and take (sono nero)

Beggin' (Prega)

Baby, now That i've found you (baby ¨ un'abitudine)

Tell mama (lei m'ama)

Rocky Roberts,Herbie Goins, Wess, Little Tony, not sung version but original Soul and RnB tunes.

I remember also a Lp from 1987: "Nero Italiano" with the best Motown italian version (available now on cd) - including you keep me hangin' - on chi mi aiuter 

Social source share

Rocky Roberts,Herbie Goins, Wess, Little Tony, not sung version but original Soul and RnB tunes.

I remember also a Lp from 1987: "Nero Italiano" with the best Motown italian version (available now on cd) - including you keep me hangin' - on chi mi aiuter 

Would love to hear those! RefoSoul anyone? Who were the artists?

Once saw Herbie Goins live at the Cattolica mod rally. He was living in Rome at the time

Social source share

Long after tonight is all over (stavolta no)

um um um um um um (same title)

Love potion n°9 (Non ho dormito mai)

Give and take (sono nero)

Beggin' (Prega)

Baby, now That i've found you (baby ¨ un'abitudine)

Tell mama (lei m'ama)

Didn't Dean Courtney sing in spanish too?... :D

Jayne.x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert