The Sonatas

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's on Hotline I think, the New Orleans label with Donna King, Geri Hall, etc. on it. At least I think it's the same. Not sure on price but I think it is quite a lot. Pounds along nicely.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Any info,

usual stuff.label,price ,cat number ,scan,sound file etc

anything appreciated

the gasher

link

Big sound for Gregory McOirish (© Pete Smith) at The Dome. You used to be able to buy this at £70 a copy down Berwick Street in London a few years ago. One night at the Capitol there were 5 DJs and four copies of the Sonatas behind the decks. Don't you hate when all the DJs want to play the same record? sleep3.gif Not sure how much nowadays. Last one I saw was £300 but that was a while ago.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Follow up to this, believe McOirish sold his for £1,500. That was mint, most other copies have an annoying background hiss. I think it was originally played at the 100 Club.

It is on that Hotline label too.

Social source share

I think it was originally played at the 100 Club.

Not sure where it was originally played, but if it helps to place it in time, I remember it appearing as a kind of 'hot feature' record on Pete Crampton's selling-up list in 1985. Pete was closely involved with the 'Stafford Mafia' at the time, so we may be looking there for its early plays. Anyone confirm?

All the best,

Nick

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Not sure where it was originally played, but if it helps to place it in time, I remember it appearing as a kind of 'hot feature' record on Pete Crampton's selling-up list in 1985.  Pete was closely involved with the 'Stafford Mafia' at the time, so we may be looking there for its early plays.  Anyone confirm?

All the best,

Nick

link

Ah now that wouldn't be a surprise.

Social source share

It's on Hotline I think, the New Orleans label with Donna King, Geri Hall, etc. on it. At least I think it's the same. Not sure on price but I think it is quite a lot. Pounds along nicely.

link

Yes it is the same Hotline - yellow with green type I seem to remember, although it is a while since I've seen one..... I think one went trough ebay with just the one bid, start was £1000 I think, I also heard Greg sold his for £1500 sleep3.gif

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Mr Tyler is correct got my copy of the Sonnatas from Berwick st for a few quid,Greg wanted it so did some trades with him.

Went on to be big capitol soul club tuneeeeeeeeee.

Al H sleep3.gif

Social source share

Not sure where it was originally played, but if it helps to place it in time, I remember it appearing as a kind of 'hot feature' record on Pete Crampton's selling-up list in 1985.  Pete was closely involved with the 'Stafford Mafia' at the time, so we may be looking there for its early plays.  Anyone confirm?

All the best,

Nick

link

I'm pretty sure it was played at Stafford. If it was on a Pete Crampton sales list it would have been. He was one of the "backroom boys" who made it worth the trip down from Scotland.

Derek

Social source share

I'm pretty sure it was played at Stafford.  If it was on a Pete Crampton sales list it would have been. He was one of the "backroom boys" who made it worth the trip down from Scotland.

Derek

link

Was told it was a Stafford spin whilst doing some research :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!