Dealers Dodgy Packaging

reading about pete s saying about his broken record yesterday sent with no cardboard stiffeners, thought to myself ive been lucky not to suffer the same fate with the amount of records i buy,then low and behold yesterday mr postie walks up my path with a thin 45 cardboard mailer containg 8 red & white uk motown demos from a shop in london :shhh: and not a cardboard stiffener in sight :shades: when i opened the package fearing the worst to my relief the records were still in order pheww, but how bad is that he might just as well sent them in a paper envelope

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

had two wrapped in just a piece of wall-paper once,

had another in just a bit of bubble wrap,

had another in a 12" by 12" box filled in with poly sea shells and it was cracked,

had 6 from the us once and thr guy wrote all the names and prices on the back and wrote $1 each on the import sticker and nobody at mount pleasant noticed thank goodness,

Social source share

About 4 or 5 years ago I won a copy of Moses Smith - Girl Across The Street on Ebay and the seller happened to be fairly local so they said they would deliver it by hand.

A couple of days later I came home to find the record on the doormat with no sleeve! :shades:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I think Pete still holds the record for dodgy packing for the one that came wrapped in the manky prison dressing-gown, if I remember correctly! :shades:

Social source share

Bought a copy of Willie & Mighty Magnificents "Check it baby" described as NM, came in a huge box wrapped in bubble wrap, all good so far, but the 45 inside all of that was both ridiculously warped and had a deep cigarette burn literally in the playing surface - what made it classic is the seller then claimed "it must have happened en route"!! laugh.gif Um, nice try mate, luckily for me they did refund and needless to say promptly saw them relist it as NM, some people...

Social source share

Had one seller over seas who I have had to pay $10 post & pack to on a single track, and all they did was spend $4 on post and bung the 45 in a jiffy without a sleeve..

and he got arsy when I neg'd him...

I was lucky the 45 got to me in good shape, but what a SH*** !!!

Mal :mellow:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I had a record (LP) off of a chap on Ebay 2-3 years ago where it was taking ages and ages, and no record arrived.

I kept e-mailing him asking for the status of the record and received no reply.

Finally, the record arrived.

It arrived in a USED, greasy pizza box! I was absolutely disgusted. I don't even recall any packaging in there, but the record did manage to arrive one piece.

Ugh!

Social source share

I had a record (LP) off of a chap on Ebay 2-3 years ago where it was taking ages and ages, and no record arrived.

I kept e-mailing him asking for the status of the record and received no reply.

Finally, the record arrived.

It arrived in a USED, greasy pizza box! I was absolutely disgusted. I don't even recall any packaging in there, but the record did manage to arrive one piece.

Ugh!

MMMMM was there any leftovers laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest newone

then again ive had records which have been mummified in brown tape, takes half an hour to open

how about worst or daftest buyer worst buyer would be the guy who buys two 78s from me then requests that i keep them until he is in my area and will pick them up, three weeks later he e mails me asking for me to leave them in my garden as he is working in gatwick and he will call and collect i am 30 miles away cost more in petrol than postage??? daftest guy buys record of me from e bay leaves neg feedback record is broken e mail back saying these things happen in the post etc sorry, he e mails back saying it cant have happened in the post as its not all in the mailer, whats missing i ask, the bit in the middle he tells me, i explain american records dont have middles, to which he replies i should have said it in description.

Social source share

how about worst or daftest buyer worst buyer would be the guy who buys two 78s from me then requests that i keep them until he is in my area and will pick them up, three weeks later he e mails me asking for me to leave them in my garden as he is working in gatwick and he will call and collect i am 30 miles away cost more in petrol than postage??? daftest guy buys record of me from e bay leaves neg feedback record is broken e mail back saying these things happen in the post etc sorry, he e mails back saying it cant have happened in the post as its not all in the mailer, whats missing i ask, the bit in the middle he tells me, i explain american records dont have middles, to which he replies i should have said it in description.

laugh.giflaugh.gif:lol: ha that is a funny one

Social source share

I had someone leave me a neutral for the (USA) record not having a centre and me not mentioning it, so you're not alone!

Social source share

had a good experience a few years ago

bought 3 records off a U.S dealer sam e solo, and 2 cheap oldies

paid about 22 dollars

when they arrived was a note in box saying

as the sam e solo was a demo copy and i hadnt told you

ive added another record free

cynthia and imaginations on blue rock

to say i was well pleased was an understatement

Edited by keithw
Social source share

I reckon about one in ten of the records from the states are badly/bizarrely packed.

Jiffy bags with no stiffeners are the most common and nearly all the records turning up like this are broken. Some prat in Chicago (runs a record shop) sent a 45 with no stiffeners in an LP mailer and then came on here slagging me off and reckoned a 5% breakage rate was OK!

The strangest packing was a 6 by 6 by 4 cardboard box containing a 45 across the diagonal, packed in those polystyrene bits, sent by Pythagorus records :unsure::huh:

The most recent was a Paul Sindab on Powertree that was in a (new) pizza box, wrapped in newspaper, shrink-wrapped to one side of the box. When I complained about the risk the dolt had taken with the record he said he didn't know what a record mailer was.

I explained that a record mailer is for mailing rare, expensive, 45 rpm records internationally and a pizza box is designed to get hot fast food no more than 5 miles across town. He claimed people had thanked him for packaging the records well, so I explained the notion of irony to him.

Weirdly, all the records that are sent normal postage always turn up. The only ones that go missing are those that are tracked to the departure point in the country of origin and then not tracked until signed for in the destination country. I suspect a record collecting postie/customs officer at the point of entry to the UK. :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert