Gene Townsel-im Walkin Away

NEV

Hi de hi campers

Forgive me for being inquisitive today but ,i always assumed Gene Townsel -im walkin away ,was LP only

"Time wounds all heals" lp to be precise

Can anyone tell me different ,i do know crazy beat re-isssued it as a 45

Only i saw this on ebay ,put it in my watched items...totally forgot about it and whilst deleting my finished items ,i saw it

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Adrian

Nev, I thought the same, 45 was the crazy beat only, but this is from Gene Townsel's site

"So if you had ever wondered why the album is rare then it is so because very few were pressed because it was not supposed to sell!!! To this day, Gene still hasn't got a copy, though he does still have the master tapes. Strangely enough Dobre did release "I'm Walking Away" and "There's No Use Hiding" on 45. These releases were actually chosen by Gene and he is proud that his 2 "picks" are the 2 tracks, which have been played on the rare soul scene over the years."

Not sure why that one on ebay was US Balance Town, that appears to be a company which was set up by Gene himself.

Edited by Adrian
Social source share

Gene has acquired international recognition as a vocal performer of note. He has performed on the stages of Acapulco, Tokyo, Bangkok, Singapore, Aruba, Curacao and Buenos Aires, to name a few, as well as major U. S. cities. To date, he has two albums to his credit, "Time Wounds All Heels" and "The 23rd Psalm", the latter containing the highly acclaimed title song that while being performed at the 1984 National Baptist Convention musical in Los Angeles, received a standing ovation by some 6,000 listeners. His writing has also found success in the musical theater where he wrote, produced, directed and orchestrated the musical "The Tie That Binds". His 70s album "Time Wounds All Heels", has over the decades become a collectors item in the United Kingdom, and has spawned a re-release of two of the most popular cuts as a single. As a much sough after choral conductor Gene also founded the FIRST NATIONAL WORKSHOP ON CHURCH MUSIC for the CHRISTIAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

taken from MY-space no mention of the singles coming out before the crazy beat ones,

the one on ebay just looks a bit new to me?

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

SAW THE ONE ON EBAY AND I THOUGHT IT HAD A BIT OF A 'OUT OF THE PAST' LOOK ABOUT IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT huh.gif .

WHAT A GREAT ALBUM THO' EH?

HOW MUCH DID THE SINGLE GO FOR ?

JIM :D

$177

It's on the link Jim :)

Social source share

I took half the stock of the LP and Bill Shannon had the other half that was on offer, which came from Gene Townsel's Gospel shop I think, back in the early 90s.

To my knowledge it was a virtually unknown album even then, and was selling for £20 to £30 at the 1st Southport weekender if I remember correctly. It sold like hot cakes at the time and remember not being able to restock despite several attempts. Shipped a box load to Japan who were mental for it and availability ran dry and the price has risen steadily since then.

I did keep a couple back and forgot about them till about 8 years ago when I refound them and sold for £50 each, if I knew then what I ........ etc etc.

There was no mention of any 45 at that time and indeed it seems unlikely that the 2 most popular tracks from the LP just happen to be on a 45, so I would say it came out a lot later after the 2 tracks became popular. The LP didnt sell well in the USA hence there was a stock from Gene available.

If Gene brought this one out and owns the master then theres no problem even though its years later, its a chicken and egg syndrome.....cashing in he may be, if thats the case, but hey!!! he wrote, produced and sung the LP so good luck to him.

An absolute peach of an album and one of my all time fave LPs, sheer emotion and quality abound.

Dave Halsall

Social source share

Crumbs, thats alot of money for a single that (may or not) be kosher, still, we've all had a bit of that action in the past.

My copy came from the 'land of the rising sun' for about 20 quid! I must have had a lucky day, I don't get many :lol: .

I know we've all said it before but theres no adequate rhyme or reason why these things have not sold in the States on initial release, it's a masterpiece.

Anyway

Jim :unsure:

Social source share

To my knowledge it was a virtually unknown album even then, and was selling for £20 to £30 at the 1st Southport weekender if I remember correctly. It sold like hot cakes at the time and remember not being able to restock despite several attempts. Shipped a box load to Japan who were mental for it and availability ran dry and the price has risen steadily since then.

There was no mention of any 45 at that time and indeed it seems unlikely that the 2 most popular tracks from the LP just happen to be on a 45, so I would say it came out a lot later after the 2 tracks became popular. The LP didnt sell well in the USA hence there was a stock from Gene available.

Dave Halsall

Time Is Right had quite a few I seem to remember, they also used to sell at Southport, I agree about the 45, too much of a coincidence, although as you say if re-issued by Gene makes it as kosher as anything surely.

Great LP, one I never picked up as always at that time you thought I'll get that next time..........

Social source share

Gene has acquired international recognition as a vocal performer of note. He has performed on the stages of Acapulco, Tokyo, Bangkok, Singapore, Aruba, Curacao and Buenos Aires, to name a few, as well as major U. S. cities. To date, he has two albums to his credit, "Time Wounds All Heels" and "The 23rd Psalm", the latter containing the highly acclaimed title song that while being performed at the 1984 National Baptist Convention musical in Los Angeles, received a standing ovation by some 6,000 listeners. His writing has also found success in the musical theater where he wrote, produced, directed and orchestrated the musical "The Tie That Binds". His 70s album "Time Wounds All Heels", has over the decades become a collectors item in the United Kingdom, and has spawned a re-release of two of the most popular cuts as a single. As a much sough after choral conductor Gene also founded the FIRST NATIONAL WORKSHOP ON CHURCH MUSIC for the CHRISTIAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

taken from MY-space no mention of the singles coming out before the crazy beat ones,

the one on ebay just looks a bit new to me?

mark

I've always wondered why Genes name appears on Don Thomas Come on Train credits, now I see its a gospel connection.

I've seen a cd of Time Wounds all Heals on New Balance which I thought (at the time) to be a jap release

Great Toons thats agreed

Scott

Social source share

I've always wondered why Genes name appears on Don Thomas Come on Train credits, now I see its a gospel connection.

I've seen a cd of Time Wounds all Heals on New Balance which I thought (at the time) to be a jap release

Great Toons thats agreed

Scott

img-resized.png Reduced 84%

Social source share

I took half the stock of the LP and Bill Shannon had the other half that was on offer, which came from Gene Townsel's Gospel shop I think, back in the early 90s.

Yeah I got my copy from you Dave many moons ago

Pat

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

I got the album about 7/8 ish years back, when it was still relatively cheap.

But the only mention of a 45 I know of was when (I think it was) Glyn Thornhill did a piece on Gene in Manifesto (?)

Never heard about the existance of a '45' since then - until now :thumbsup:

Anyone wanna by the LP? Original of course.

Martyn

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Just sold on ebay at $787.00 US ...

Visual grade: VG, faint label wear  ... 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70s-Soul-45-Gene-Townsel-There-039-s-No-Use-Hiding-Balance-Town-mp3-/311948900293?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=NjaUeuRAbp%2FKjYBMCerTuSL5l9k%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

70s Soul 45 - Gene Townsel - There's No Use Hiding - Balance Town 

70s-Soul-45-Gene-Townsel-There-039-s-No-Use-Hiding-Balance-Town-mp3

Ended: 11 Sep, 2017 00:29:22 AEST
Winning bid: US $787.00
21 bids ]

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Hate to rain on the parade but the above 45 on Balance Town is a bootleg  - That is fact came straight from Gene Townsel . When I made contact with him a few years back he was  adamant he never gave permission for this 45 , and was actively trying to locate who was behind the release.

FYI he is now a gospel minister and records ' secular 'music only. I approached him with regard to releasing a few of the tracks but to no avail he has left his old life behind and saw no point in reissuing his 70 's tracks  ....

Social source share

On 15/05/2009 at 11:57, NEV said:

Hi de hi campers

Forgive me for being inquisitive today but ,i always assumed Gene Townsel -im walkin away ,was LP only

"Time wounds all heals" lp to be precise

Can anyone tell me different ,i do know crazy beat re-isssued it as a 45

Only i saw this on ebay ,put it in my watched items...totally forgot about it and whilst deleting my finished items ,i saw it

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Years ago I heard the Andy Davies had the Dobre 45??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!