Boomerang - Canal Tavern, Thorne - 16 May 2009

I made the long journey from London up to Boomerang at the Canal Tavern in Thorne, Yorkshire. And it was worth it (and the exhausted way I'm feeling now).

Boomerang is my favourite club, it plays the right combination of 60s and 70s soul for me, even a couple of records last night that skirted R&B (the proper stuff). The latter I've got on good authority from Rbman (Martin A).

I travelled up with Steve G who was one of the guest DJs and who kindly did the driving, a very enjoyable journey there and back. We left my house at about 5.40 pm, picked up Martin at Welwyn Garden City and were at the Canal Tavern just gone 8 pm. Now that's a quick journey isn't it?

Steve was one of the guests as I've already said, the other one was Malayka. I'd not heard her DJ before and I enjoyed her sets, nearly all she played was new to me, and that's is something I want when I go to a soul night, nice to hear tracks you know for the dance floor, but new material (or at least not the same old records) is what keeps the real interest going, or it does for me. In fact I'd say the majority of what I heard last night wasn't familiar to me.

Steve did 2 good sets and kept the dance floor going in his last set, and of course Arthur did the business as usual. Not forgetting Maria, some nice tunes and thanks for Karmello Brooks, aren't I predictable?

Possibly numbers were slightly down, and it took a little time for the dance floor to get going but the atmosphere was as good as usual. It was great to see loads of friends there, good to meet up and chat.

Karen and Maria have a great club up there, long may it continue. Now looking forward to the alldayer.

For any of my friends interested I did have my sandwiches on the way home, lol. I needed them as I collapsed into bed at just before 4.30 am, no wonder I'm looking forward to an early night (what a lightweight!).

• Replies 32
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mick Donnelly

First time for us at Thorne .. we expected a good night and got one. Some really nice music played by all the dj's and a fair few coming in through the doors resulting in pretty good atmosphere.

We will be back for sure

First time for us at Thorne .. we expected a good night and got one. Some really nice music played by all the dj's and a fair few coming in through the doors resulting in pretty good atmosphere.

We will be back for sure

Good to see you there Mick.

I really enjoyed the evening.....loads of new sounds to me...especially enjoyed Malayka's second set and interesting to hear Maria spinning a few R&B style tunes ohmy.gif .

Thanks Steve Guarnori for driving.

Guest ktf mal

Well what can i say..............great night....great music....great people.....

New sounds to me too.........i must get out more.

Loved all the dj sets.......

I'm still a bit shattered from all that driving (170 miles ) but it was worth it....

Next time i will bring my lady friend and get a room smile.gif

All i can say is.......................

TUNE biggrin.gif

ktf mal

Quick note to say really enjoyed the evening; it felt like a small Bamberg reunion at one point.

Thanks to Rob H for driving up, it was his turn and the six hour round journey was well worth, first time for me to the Canal Tavern, Rob's lost count of how many times he went before, think we'll be going again tho :thumbup:

Many thanks to those who made it to Boomerang on Saturday. Really nice people there and great spots from our guests Steve Guarnori, Malayka and Arthur (---playlists soon please :lol: ).

This one wasn't a packer (May never is, we've now realised!) and many decided just to listen early on, but everyone seemed to have a good time judging by the smiles and comments. About 80 through the door + plus djs/guests, so a bit easier to take lots of pics ...which I'll add to the website in the next few days).

As always, all feedback is appreciated - and thanks again

and interesting to hear Maria spinning a few R&B style tunes :thumbup: .

Obviously our defintions of R&B might vary a little bit :hypo:

I wasn't going to post up my own playlist this time, but I'm now keen to learn which of these you meant:

SET 1

Dale Darby - Let's Got It Together (Westgate)

J. Jocko - I'm Getting' Over (Kuma Sutra)

Love, Peace & Happiness - Strip Me Naked (RCA)

The Jones Brothers - Good Old Days (AVI)

The Fabulous Apollos - The One Alone (Valtone)

The Dynamics - Whenever I'm Without You (Top Ten)

Inell Young - What Do You See In Her (Libra)

Margie Joseph - I Can't Move No Mountains (Atlantic)

Bonnie Blanchard & Andy Aaron - You're the Only One (C.R.S.)

Jean Battle - I've Got To Come In (Clintone)

Peggy Weston - Night Bird (Juldane)

Peace Love & Happiness - Ain't Nothing But A Love Thang (Abab)

SET 2

Tony Drake - Suddenly (Brunswick)

The Nicky Newarkers - Woman (Mercury)

Ujima - I'm Not Ready (Epic)

Second Re$surrection - You Done Let Daylight Catch You (Stanson)

Vee Gees - Talkin (Jump Off)

Eula Cooper - Try (Tragar)

Tommy & the Derby's - Don't Play the Role (Swing)

Jimmy Castor - It's OK (Jetset)

The Attractions - Burn Up Some Road (Back To My Baby) (De-To)

Karmello Brooks - Tell Me, Baby (Milestone)

Tyrone McCollum - I Don't Want To Cry (Hawk)

Betty Wilson and The 4 Bars - I'm Yours (Dayco)

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby (Cat)

Guy Allen - Changes (Allen Bros.)

Marjorie Singletree - Never Let Go (Unissued C/U)

Spider Turner - I've Got To Get Myself Together (Before I Lose My Mind) (Good Time)

The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone (Look-Out)

m

ps. I've updated the next date in my footer and accomodation should be booked early - as the 9 hour summer special has been 120+ with rooms going early

Always a good night at 'The Tavern' and this one despite the slow start was no exception, great spots from everyone and dance floor very busy last 2 hours or so. Some of the tunes even got Russ(oldsoulman) on the floor or was that something else responsible for that :lol: , anyway a good night was had by all and here's to the next one in August.

Top tunes on the night for us - Ernest Baker, Archie Hodge, Barbara Mason, Vee Gees, Sam Dees and Doc Peabody plus lots new to us. (playlists from others please)

Thanks to Karen and Maria and see you soon

Paul & Sue :thumbup::hypo:

Edited by PS-Soul

"Obviously our defintions of R&B might vary a little bit :rolleyes: "

Don't worry Maria it was a bit of a leg pull.... :lol:

...but these could be the start of something.

Always a good night at 'The Tavern' and this one despite the slow start was no exception, great spots from everyone and dance floor very busy last 2 hours or so. Some of the tunes even got Russ(oldsoulman) on the floor or was that something else responsible for that :thumbup: , anyway a good night was had by all and here's to the next one in August.

Top tunes on the night for us - Ernest Baker, Archie Hodge, Barbara Mason, Vee Gees, Sam Dees and Doc Peabody plus lots new to us. (playlists from others please)

Thanks to Karen and Maria and see you soon

Paul & Sue :rolleyes::lol:

Had a great night , excellent music as usual.

I had to get up to herby brown & sex

(the beer did help though) thumbup.gif:thumbup:

Russ

p.s. many thanks to Mark & Lorraine for doing the driving.

Edited by oldsoulman

Yeah really enjoyed this, friendly and open minded crowd - a crowd that were a pleasure to DJ to - if that's the right expression. Was well pleased with the dancefloor reaction too and all 3 of us enjoyed it. Great to play Sam Dees "Funny" to a nearly full dancefloor. :rolleyes:

Don't worry Maria it was a bit of a leg pull.... :lol:

...but these could be the start of something.

Not quite the start mate :lol: - you would have loved my nosebleeder sets back home a decade ago and I used to argue against 70s or midtempo being played at our nights - just ask MrPountain! (The bar sets you caught at Stow-a-way Soul in London a few years back have confused you. Certain hard-edge northern, still gets my juices flowing) .....Now pleeeeeeeease stop teasing me every time you hear the odd dip into an old box - you know I bite! :)

Boomerang promotes a mix of quality soul music, focusing on the 60s & 70s. I'm afraid an RnB dj would never appeal to our tastes - and we run this night for a selfish reason too: - that the kind of soul music we girls love, gets played nearer to home than most places we go to hear it.

I would hate anyone reading feedback to turn up expecting to hear something else, as I've been let down by venues before and it's so very disappointing. That's actually the main reason playlists appear on the website - to save some the petrol money, and allowing us to relax and work on the fun bits :lol: .

I've now chased our guest dj's for playlists, so I'm hoping they will be kind enough to post them up after their day job one evening this week.

m

ps. we forgot to hand out the usual sweet treats, so we'll make sure the next one is a real P A R T Y!

Not quite the start mate :thumbsup: - you would have loved my nosebleeder sets back home a decade ago and I used to argue against 70s or midtempo being played at our nights - just ask MrPountain! (The bar sets you caught at Stow-a-way Soul in London a few years back have confused you. Certain hard-edge northern, still gets my juices flowing) .....Now pleeeeeeeease stop teasing me every time you hear the odd dip into an old box - you know I bite! :P

Boomerang promotes a mix of quality soul music, focusing on the 60s & 70s. I'm afraid an RnB dj would never appeal to our tastes - and we run this night for a selfish reason too: - that the kind of soul music we girls love, gets played nearer to home than most places we go to hear it.

I would hate anyone reading feedback to turn up expecting to hear something else, as I've been let down by venues before and it's so very disappointing. That's actually the main reason playlists appear on the website - to save some the petrol money, and allowing us to relax and work on the fun bits :lol: .

I've now chased our guest dj's for playlists, so I'm hoping they will be kind enough to post them up after their day job one evening this week.

m

ps. we forgot to hand out the usual sweet treats, so we'll make sure the next one is a real P A R T Y!

Well done to the 2 ladies in charge always a great nite musically and socially.i enjoyed all the music throughout the nite,certainly 2 capable guests on the nite .keep em coming...

Excellent night again.Congratulations to Karen and Maria for getting it right.The people,music and atmosphere are top notch.You may worry and fret but there really is no need.Everybody loves it at Boomerang,so keep up the good work.There is a clutch of great soul nights going at the moment that keep everything ticking over nicely.

Boomerang

Silks

Attic

Nantwich - upstairs

Worcester rowing club

Soul in 2009 not doing too badly is it?

Trev

Guest peter burke

Excellent night again.Congratulations to Karen and Maria for getting it right.The people,music and atmosphere are top notch.You may worry and fret but there really is no need.Everybody loves it at Boomerang,so keep up the good work.There is a clutch of great soul nights going at the moment that keep everything ticking over nicely.

Boomerang

Silks

Attic

Nantwich - upstairs

Worcester rowing club

Soul in 2009 not doing too badly is it?

Trev

Totally agree Trev.

Hope to see you Saturday at Silks.

atb Pete

Nice to see lots of new faces & of course all the old ones :P at the Tavern last sat, here are the bits i got to play.

Set 1

Eric Mercury and the Soul Searchers - Lonely Girl [sac]

The Magicians - Love, Let's Try It Again [Villa]

The Volumes - I've Never Been So In Love [Garu]

Soul For Sale - Let Me Love You [Geronimo]

Flame 'n' King - Open Up Your Eyes [C/U]

Ernest Baker - "Alone Again" [blue Soul]

Rising Sun - Good Loving [Kingston]

Donald Thomas - Calling Me Home [PMRC]

J.P. Robinson - Our Day Is Here [blue Candle]

Ivan Neville - Dance Your Blues Away [Cookie]

Set 2

Wee - Try Me [Owl]

The Natural Four - I Thought You Were Mine [boola Boola]

Al Gardner - Sweet Baby [sepia]

The Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together [Garrison]

Charles Mintz - Running Back [up Look]

LaRom Baker - You're the Best Thing [The Record Company]

Towana & The Total Destruction - Wear Your Natural, Baby [Romark]

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair [sepia]

Ice - "Reality" [ice]

Esther Grant - Here I Am [unissued C/U]

The Nu-Rons - All Of My Life [Nu-Ron]

The Camaro's - We're Not Too Young (To Fall In Love) [Dar Cha]

Herby Brown (with Randy Mather - Sax) - One More Broken Heart [blue Ash]

Eloise Laws - Love Factory [Music Merchant]

Archie Hodge - I Really Want To See You Girl [Narco]

7 Miles Per Hour Band - Playing Your Game [Music City]

Best, Arthur.

Guest Adam G

It was good night and considering there was so much on close by the numbers were fine I thought . At the (much to early) finish the minibus to travellodge was a godsend. Cliff Steel liked it so much he stayed on and went round again.

Adam

Had a great night listening to great music. This place allways steps up to the mark. All the DJ's performed well on the night, a few curved ball choon's thrown in also for good measure. :lol:

Cliff did indeed return to the Tavern for a second time although I put that down to the fact that he doesn't know if he's coming or going.

See some of you guy's Saturday at Silk

I made the long journey from London up to Boomerang at the Canal Tavern in Thorne, Yorkshire. And it was worth it (and the exhausted way I'm feeling now).

Boomerang is my favourite club, it plays the right combination of 60s and 70s soul for me, even a couple of records last night that skirted R&B (the proper stuff). The latter I've got on good authority from Rbman (Martin A).

I travelled up with Steve G who was one of the guest DJs and who kindly did the driving, a very enjoyable journey there and back. We left my house at about 5.40 pm, picked up Martin at Welwyn Garden City and were at the Canal Tavern just gone 8 pm. Now that's a quick journey isn't it?

Steve was one of the guests as I've already said, the other one was Malayka. I'd not heard her DJ before and I enjoyed her sets, nearly all she played was new to me, and that's is something I want when I go to a soul night, nice to hear tracks you know for the dance floor, but new material (or at least not the same old records) is what keeps the real interest going, or it does for me. In fact I'd say the majority of what I heard last night wasn't familiar to me.

Steve did 2 good sets and kept the dance floor going in his last set, and of course Arthur did the business as usual. Not forgetting Maria, some nice tunes and thanks for Karmello Brooks, aren't I predictable?

Possibly numbers were slightly down, and it took a little time for the dance floor to get going but the atmosphere was as good as usual. It was great to see loads of friends there, good to meet up and chat.

Karen and Maria have a great club up there, long may it continue. Now looking forward to the alldayer.

For any of my friends interested I did have my sandwiches on the way home, lol. I needed them as I collapsed into bed at just before 4.30 am, no wonder I'm looking forward to an early night (what a lightweight!).

Superb night ! Great crowd, Great sounds..........................Thorne hits the target everytime.

...Oh dear...I know I am a bit late...nevertheless i just wanted to say thank you to Maria & Karen for letting me play "my babies" & for their hospitality! It was a great night, I enjoyed it very, very much!

Malayka

Ps. Maria: playlist is on it's way...

Edited by malayka

A top night as always with a top notch music policy, right across the board, but always quality..... :thumbsup: ....

..............so many great tunes played by all the DJs, but you know you're in good company when you get a decent dance floor to tunes like Love, Peace & Happiness - Strip Me Naked... :thumbsup: .......

.....Elaine was in top form in bad company, not that she needs any encouragement, but Elaine and Sumbucca is a brilliant mix... :lol:

.....all this, and a top value for money minibus back to the hotel, and then back to Thorne, and then back to the hotel..... :thumbup:

OK late I know, here's my first set......second set to follow laters

Jeannie & Darlings "How can you mistreat the one you love"

Homer Banks "Sweetie Pie"

joe King "I don't want to lose you"

Tommy Tate What's the matter"

Bobby Byrd "lost in the crowd"

Eddie hololoway "poor boy"

Black Sweat "How Long"

? "Hands of time"

Detroit Sounds of friction "you're leaving me"

Dreamflight "Time"

Johnny Williams "has love lost integrity"

Frenk eddie "Love has never passed me by"

Steve

..............so many great tunes played by all the DJs, but you know you're in good company when you get a decent dance floor to tunes like Love, Peace & Happiness - Strip Me Naked... :rolleyes: .......

Bloody hell, would have paid my entrance money twice over to dance to this, not the kind of record you hear out at all now, big kudos to whoever played it!!

Right cmon girlies, when is the next one, I am going to book everything up now!

Guest peter burke

Bloody hell, would have paid my entrance money twice over to dance to this, not the kind of record you hear out at all now, big kudos to whoever played it!!

Right cmon girlies, when is the next one, I am going to book everything up now!

Hi Jock,

We do hope you can make the next one,

SATUDAY 1ST AUGUST 2009, 4PM START !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will be having more reasons to party than ever,

SOUL SAMS XX BIRTHDAY :yes:

VAL AND DAVE BOX 40TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY :D

TRACEYS XX BIRTHDAY thumbsup.gif

MY 50TH IN AUGUST :D

with DJS FOR THIS EXTRAVAGANSA BEING -

SOUL SAM MARCO SANTUCCI ARTHUR FENN WITH RESIDENT MARIA O

HOW CAN ANYONE RESIST? :)

SEE YOU THERE,

LOVE TO YOU AND DIANE,

KAREN AND PETE XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Jock,

We do hope you can make the next one,

SATUDAY 1ST AUGUST 2009, 4PM START !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will be having more reasons to party than ever,

SOUL SAMS XX BIRTHDAY :lol:

VAL AND DAVE BOX 40TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY :lol:

TRACEYS XX BIRTHDAY :)

MY 50TH IN AUGUST :lol:

with DJS FOR THIS EXTRAVAGANSA BEING -

SOUL SAM MARCO SANTUCCI ARTHUR FENN WITH RESIDENT MARIA O

HOW CAN ANYONE RESIST? :lol:

SEE YOU THERE,

LOVE TO YOU AND DIANE,

KAREN AND PETE XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My rooms booked :huh:

Forgot to do a write up - but just thought I'd better confirm that me and Michael had a brilliant night!

Malayka was superb, why she was nervous and offering to pay folks to dance I'll never know :lol:

Can't remember a great deal now...

All thats left to say is thanks for the present ladies and Ady XXXX

My rooms booked :thumbup:

Forgot to do a write up - but just thought I'd better confirm that me and Michael had a brilliant night!

Malayka was superb, why she was nervous and offering to pay folks to dance I'll never know :lol:

Can't remember a great deal now...

All thats left to say is thanks for the present ladies and Ady XXXX

Thank you Kirsty :rolleyes: ...just to let you know; noone did accept my offer ph34r.gif ..

Can't wait for the next one!!!!

malayka