Newby And Johnson - I Want To Give You My Everything

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just heard for the first time today off a list and immediately purchased. How come I've never heard this before. What a tune. Does anyone play it out?

Cheers Warren 'Crossover's Champion' Boogaloo

Check out great version on Carl Douglas Kung fu fighting LP also

Social source share

Just heard for the first time today off a list and immediately purchased. How come I've never heard this before. What a tune. Does anyone play it out?

Where have you been ? An old bloke like you should know this or the other side at least :lol::thumbsup:

anyone else want a copy ? pm me :rolleyes:

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Got re-issued in the 70's on 20th Cent. and for some reason they re-titled the artists as "Candy and The Sweets"??, I know Sean Robbins was hamering that cut a lot. a year or two back

steve

Social source share

Got re-issued in the 70's on 20th Cent. and for some reason they re-titled the artists as "Candy and The Sweets"??, I know Sean Robbins was hamering that cut a lot. a year or two back

steve

the candy and the sweets is a) a different version and B) an earlier version I think. It's definitely a different version though.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

It's a classic double sider!

Been around forever and was a pretty big hit on issue.

Gained a release in the UK too!

The flip "Sweet Happiness" was a HUGE club sound, early 70's, oopt North.

:rolleyes:

Sean

Correct as always Sean and was released on UK Mercury 45 and has been around forever.

Social source share

the candy and the sweets is a) a different version and B) an earlier version I think. It's definitely a different version though.

hi Boba, just played the refosoul 20th Cent. version on here and it mirrors my Mercury cut, would love to hear the earlyer sounding cut if you got it around as I'm not aware of that one :thumbup:

thanx

steve

Social source share

Where have you been ? An old bloke like you should know this or the other side at least :lol::shades:

anyone else want a copy ? pm me :thumbup:

You're right Dave. I need to get out more. :g:

Made the hairs stick out on the back of my head when I heard this and has just shot to the top of my 'Cheap as chips' list. Every home should have one.

Social source share

hi Boba, just played the refosoul 20th Cent. version on here and it mirrors my Mercury cut, would love to hear the earlyer sounding cut if you got it around as I'm not aware of that one :thumbup:

thanx

steve

i will play my copies and check if i'm wrong, i apologize in advance if i'm wrong

Social source share

You're right Dave. I need to get out more. :thumbup:

Made the hairs stick out on the back of my head when I heard this and has just shot to the top of my 'Cheap as chips' list. Every home should have one.

Yeah Warren,like Sean said on the back of Sweet Happiness.You need to flip over the cheapies more often pal. :shades: .

Social source share

You're right Dave. I need to get out more. :shades:

My homes had one for about 35 years & doesn't need one anymore :thumbup: C'mon who wants one?

Social source share

Think it was either Dave T or Robin S who used to play it a bit in the 80's.

Coax Lenny Dopson out of his semi-retirement and it will probably get a spin, it is often in his play list.

TUNE.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

It's a classic double sider!

Been around forever and was a pretty big hit on issue.

Gained a release in the UK too!

The flip "Sweet Happiness" was a HUGE club sound, early 70's, oopt North.

:ohmy:

Sean

Correct - though it was more of a "youth club spin" than anything 'round our way, as it was readily available at the time of release. What's more it actually came out TWICE (with the same catalogue number), as UK Mercury flipped it over to make "Sweet Happiness" the A-Side after Northern record buyers picked up on it.

So ironically, "I Want To Give You My Everything" was originally the official A-Side anyway!

What goes around, comes around.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

:) SHAME,SHAME AND THRICE SHAME ON YOU. actually its as you are aware now always been out there 2 great sides try and get yourself a UK Demo as although rare not to pricey ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

THERE WAS ALSO A VERSION THAT CAME OUT ON UK JAM LABEL AS WELL. BUT NAME ESCAPES ME. THATS FOUR DIFFERENT ONES. ANYMORE????? CARL DOUGLAS BEST VERSION FOR ME

DAVE

SUNDAY CHILL OUT. 7TH JUNE. HORSE AND GROOM PUB. EAST LAITH GATE. DONCASTER. WITH GUESTS RUSS STEELE AND DON KITCHEN + REGULAR SPINNERS BRI AND DAVE PINCHES,JOE LAKIN MICK WADDINGTON, MANKY AND HOWARD

Social source share

THERE WAS ALSO A VERSION THAT CAME OUT ON UK JAM LABEL AS WELL. BUT NAME ESCAPES ME. THATS FOUR DIFFERENT ONES. ANYMORE????? CARL DOUGLAS BEST VERSION FOR ME

DAVE

Really Dave??

Can you remember who it's by - I'm not aware of one...

You're not confusing it with that version of Ron Keith - "Can't live without you" done on Jam by the Jesters?

:huh:

I thought I was greedy having Carl Douglas on UK Pye and US 20th Century (demo)!!

But back on topic - I also have the Newby & Johnson UK 1st issue which has "I want to give you..." as the A side. I can still remember it getting re-issued and reading the review in B&S which mentioned the 'flip' side being popular 'up north' :huh:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, like others on here I've known this since the very early 70's and have a 1st issue UK on Mercury, two great tracks with top quality production values too...I have been told a number of times that it is actually ASHFORD AND SIMPSON, which seems quite feasible given their penchant for realeasing records under aliases. Vocally it also sounds like them and I dont know of any other NEWBY AND JHNSON releases or photos or am I off the mark here? Can anybody confirm?

Social source share

Yeah, like others on here I've known this since the very early 70's and have a 1st issue UK on Mercury, two great tracks with top quality production values too...I have been told a number of times that it is actually ASHFORD AND SIMPSON, which seems quite feasible given their penchant for realeasing records under aliases. Vocally it also sounds like them and I dont know of any other NEWBY AND JOHNSON releases or photos or am I off the mark here? Can anybody confirm?
Social source share

Yeah, like others on here I've known this since the very early 70's and have a 1st issue UK on Mercury, two great tracks with top quality production values too...I have been told a number of times that it is actually ASHFORD AND SIMPSON, which seems quite feasible given their penchant for realeasing records under aliases. Vocally it also sounds like them and I dont know of any other NEWBY AND JHNSON releases or photos or am I off the mark here? Can anybody confirm?

I thought that it was Diane Newby, never worked out who the Johnson was though!

Social source share

Really Dave??

Can you remember who it's by - I'm not aware of one...

You're not confusing it with that version of Ron Keith - "Can't live without you" done on Jam by the Jesters?

g.gif

NO JOHN, TYRONE & CARR I WANT TO BE YOUR EVERYTHING B/W I`M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU UK JAM 7

I`M GUESSING THE FLIP IS A VERSION OF AL GREEN. CAME OUT IN 1972 :rolleyes:

Social source share

Thats interesting Jerry, ok, be nice if somebody could identify the guy then!

Social source share

Thats interesting Jerry, ok, be nice if somebody could identify the guy then!

Just got my copy in the post and gotta say both sides are fantastic tunes. Really should get played a lot more imo. Had'nt a clue about the singers so will just enjoy the record for what it is...awesome. Stay soulful. Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

I believe they are Diane Newby and Willie Johnson who is NOT same singer in Savannah, Goergia (on Cat/Drive/Future Stars, etc.) but I think he is the same singer of Willie Johnson, a lead singer, of The Del-Royals who left 2 singles on Mercury.

Social source share

I believe they are Diane Newby and Willie Johnson who is NOT same singer in Savannah, Goergia (on Cat/Drive/Future Stars, etc.) but I think he is the same singer of Willie Johnson, a lead singer, of The Del-Royals who left 2 singles on Mercury.

Makes sense, thanks for that - nice to know that the info about Diane Newby seems to be correct - amazing how a snippet of trivia gleaned at some unearthly hour in a distant galaxy (or niter) sticks in the brain :D

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Makes sense, thanks for that - nice to know that the info about Diane Newby seems to be correct - amazing how a snippet of trivia gleaned at some unearthly hour in a distant galaxy (or niter) sticks in the brain :lol:

Yeah and there's me been wondering who they really were for over 30 years!

Social source share

This was on my cheapies list last week for £5.

it's still there.

Except now due to overwhelming demand, it's still £5.

Nice tho to see a soul record being discussed at length on a thread for it's sheer quality, rather than it's value.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!