Robin Hood Soul Club

Guest Bellyfullosoul

Guest Bellyfullosoul

Another fantastic soul night at the humble 'ood tongue.gif .

The night started well with Ray on the decks spinning some tamla, big hits and rare soul. The dancing, lead off as usual by Billy Backdrop, started a little slower than normal. It seemed that a few regulars had gone to visit other clubs, but we soon made up for it. The floor had filled nicely by the time Den hit the decks with a tour deforce of oldies and favourites that got the old shed shaking to the rafters. Ray did his long awaited second spot that slowed things up for the old uns to catch their breath and then built it right up to fever pitch. Soul time and Edwins time really tore it up when Den returned, Sean and the other Ray treated us to some fantastic floor work alongside Ray and Billy Backdrop (does that man ever, I mean EVER get tired? :D ). When things started to calm down the floor remained packed. A few left early but as the last few seconds played out the floor still seemed full to me. At the end only one person wasn't dancing. I won't name and shame but Martin you know who you are :lol::rolleyes::lol: . Authentic grooves, just like the old days :shades: . The atmosphere was friendly with the emphasis on fun and the laughter never stopped. Just for the record Den, I WAS peeking at the decks but I just wanted to see if the next record would be a slow one :shhh: I haven't danced to exhaustion for ages but Ray and Den, you did it :D:D . With spins so good you dance more than you should :Dlaugh.gif:Dlaugh.gif:D It took an age to get to the door with all the hugs and handshakes :P . At the 'ood the friends never end :D .

I just can't wait for the next one but then I don't have too because Den, Ray and Billy Backdrop are all spinnin' at Forest Town Welfare tomorrow night. Don't you dare miss it!!!!

PS It's rumoured that a local legend will be demonstrating the funky chicken :D:D:D Any one know who it is?

Thanks guys

Robbie

• Replies 7
  • Views 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Another fantastic soul night at the humble 'ood tongue.gif .

The night started well with Ray on the decks spinning some tamla, big hits and rare soul. The dancing, lead off as usual by Billy Backdrop, started a little slower than normal. It seemed that a few regulars had gone to visit other clubs, but we soon made up for it. The floor had filled nicely by the time Den hit the decks with a tour deforce of oldies and favourites that got the old shed shaking to the rafters. Ray did his long awaited second spot that slowed things up for the old uns to catch their breath and then built it right up to fever pitch. Soul time and Edwins time really tore it up when Den returned, Sean and the other Ray treated us to some fantastic floor work alongside Ray and Billy Backdrop (does that man ever, I mean EVER get tired? :thumbup: ). When things started to calm down the floor remained packed. A few left early but as the last few seconds played out the floor still seemed full to me. At the end only one person wasn't dancing. I won't name and shame but Martin you know who you are :thumbup::huh::thumbup: . Authentic grooves, just like the old days :sleep3: . The atmosphere was friendly with the emphasis on fun and the laughter never stopped. Just for the record Den, I WAS peeking at the decks but I just wanted to see if the next record would be a slow one :D I haven't danced to exhaustion for ages but Ray and Den, you did it :wicked::lol: . With spins so good you dance more than you should :lol::D:lol:laugh.gif:lol: It took an age to get to the door with all the hugs and handshakes :no: . At the 'ood the friends never end biggrin.gif .

I just can't wait for the next one but then I don't have too because Den, Ray and Billy Backdrop are all spinnin' at Forest Town Welfare tomorrow night. Don't you dare miss it!!!!

PS It's rumoured that a local legend will be demonstrating the funky chicken :P:D:D Any one know who it is?

Thanks guys

Robbie

Well said Rob and thank you for your comments this little club of ours is showing that soul is not dead. I'm limited on what to play, because I have over 2000 northern soul records, and I take about 300+ to Robin Hood Soul Club. I believe if you go home with a couple of sore feet and a wet shirt or two you've had a good night. The music played at both Robin and Forest Town is based on the theme around Oldies. Both Ray and I love to spin Motown but I leave that side to him, it goes down very nicely at the start of the evening turning the club classics on to warm up the dance floor to give me a chance to play some R&B stompers. Finishing the night with some slow ones, I will be retiring soon so before I hang up the vinyl, I'm making the most of what I like to do and that is making our soul club happy :huh:

Thanks again Rob

Dendog

Guest laura-lou

Dennis you are not allowed to retire! :lol:

You have done so much for this area on the soul scene and helped so many people, it would not be the same without you Den Dog.

Dennis you are not allowed to retire! :rolleyes:

You have done so much for this area on the soul scene and helped so many people, it would not be the same without you Den Dog.

"Thanks babe you are sweet" I have done nothing but enjoyed the ride, meeting some great people and gained lots of friends along the way, lost a few but gained more.

Love you

dendog

Edited by Dendog

Sorry Gary and I missed the last couple of do's due to work ....not visiting other clubs Rob

Plus John and Carol missin on holiday

This is the first time Ive logged on in nearly a month

Dennis I'm sorry to hear you think you're past it mate :D

I know we all have non soul related lives and issues that others dont see (unless you got facebook ) :thumbsup:

PS is your vinyl for sale ......PMSL Jus kiddin bud :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you all at the next hood or out and about ...

Den you're not past it yet ...just give up the bloody day job :lol:

Sorry Gary and I missed the last couple of do's due to work ....not visiting other clubs Rob

Plus John and Carol missin on holiday

This is the first time Ive logged on in nearly a month

Dennis I'm sorry to hear you think you're past it mate :rolleyes:

I know we all have non soul related lives and issues that others dont see (unless you got facebook ) :rolleyes:

PS is your vinyl for sale ......PMSL Jus kiddin bud :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing you all at the next hood or out and about ...

Den you're not past it yet ...just give up the bloody day job :thumbup:

Thanks Mandy

Rays n Mary has been bending my ear all week regarding my retirement from spinning vinyl. They have said if I stop spinning, Ray would hang up his dancing shoes and that will never happen, and that he will die on the dance floor, and that I should die on the decks. He said retirement is out of the question even if he had to drag me. The nice thing Ray n Mary said that the Robin Hood is our club and if I stop going they would, then the Shed behind the Pub Called the Robin Hood would be no more "I cant let that happen" so I will suspend my retirement for now. I wish to thank all that phoned and sent emails you are all kind

Ray n Mary thank you

"Bribery worked"