How Many Known Copies Of Arthur Willis?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 November 2016 at 12:05, chalky said:

Rod Shard had it first as far as I know and sold it Butch in the 90s.

Andy got the one that came from Barry James and was going to Ian Cunliffe originally.

Brian Wakelin from Blackpool found the copy in Blackpool. That went to Sam.

Correct Chalky

Mark had it at his disposal to play years before I got it ... As you said in a later post, and I'll interpret your words, he has so many great records so where would he have found the time to introduce it ... He didn't really need to add it to his playlist as it was more than good enough already

andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can think of lots of things to spend this kind of money on , but this awful racket sure ain't one of them , I assume that Master Manship chucked in a big box of Kleenex in with the 45 as the new owner will be needing one and not just for wiping away the tears when his next bank statement arrives ..... !

I'd rather add 1062.2 ten quid tunes to my box than this single 45 ... :rolleyes:

FFS.thumb.PNG.a6cc8cb068ad6d63ef60ac9dd6295675.PNG

Edited by WoodButcher
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

53 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

He could have had a copy in much better condition for a lot less so not so fortunate methinks.

Sure, the condition could be bettered but where will this spare copy be found cheaply? The buyer is fortunate to have the money and be in a position to make the purchase. Ultimately though, it is an achievement to own records like this.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/02/2019 at 09:49, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Manship played it at Ashby on Sunday.

Just to add to the label listing. A bit more country music...

Mars 1.jpg

Mars 2.jpg

There are only four Soul/Funk 45s on the label. Everything else they released is country and bluegrass. 

Edited by Agent45
Social source share

11 hours ago, Agent45 said:

So anyway, we're up to what - five copies now?

There was at least four copies by 2009, been the same again at least since then.  One from States recently, this one from John which is apparently a new one to the market.  Be nearer double figure IMO if not more. 

3 hours ago, LiamGP said:

Must ask my contact in the Carolinas, who is forever finding stuff in thrift stores, to keep an eye out for this one.

Plenty already looking and looked.

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

6 copies now I know of and who owns them, 4 in the UK. Dont know where last nights copy is going to, maybe back to the States. If it stays in the UK its 5 copies then in the UK. 2 of them whole 6 came from the same source (in the States). This auction copy I believe was also recently found in the States (different source than the aforementioned 2).

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Marc Forrest said:

6 copies now I know of and who owns them, 4 in the UK. Dont know where last nights copy is going to, maybe back to the States. If it stays in the UK its 5 copies then in the UK. 2 of them whole 6 came from the same source (in the States). This auction copy I believe was also recently found in the States (different source than the aforementioned 2).

kev higham just got one this week too..cheaper and in better shape.. just goes to show tho condition not that important when dealing in northern soul rarities

Social source share

The one Steve Jeffries had, is that the 2016 ebay sale copy or another?  Didn’t he have Sam’s for sale too?

As well as Kev’s recent copy there was another from the States a couplemof weeks ago, plus JM’s, that is three just recently. 

Just now, corbett80 said:

Are we talking about Arthur Willis - as in released in around '75? I would of thought it was a late 60's record?

Amazed if it's from 75!

J

I think the other releases immediately round it are 1972 according to 45cat etc

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, corbett80 said:

Are we talking about Arthur Willis - as in released in around '75? I would of thought it was a late 60's record?

Amazed if it's from 75!

J

2 minutes ago, chalky said:

The one Steve Jeffries had, is that the 2016 ebay sale copy or another?  Didn’t he have Sam’s for sale too?

As well as Kev’s recent copy there was another from the States a couplemof weeks ago, plus JM’s, that is three just recently. 

I think the other releases immediately round it are 1962

its a stereo 45 so id say around 1970..i`d be surprised at 1975.. but not early mid 60s for sure

Social source share

24 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

its a stereo 45 so id say around 1970..i`d be surprised at 1975.. but not early mid 60s for sure

When you look at the full output of the label, particularly the four Soul/Funk records on the label, and consider the studio in Smyrna where it where it was recorded, all in their totality, you'll put this closer to 1975 than 1970. Either way, absolutely, 100% not a 60s record.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Agent45 said:

When you look at the full output of the label, particularly the four Soul/Funk records on the label, and consider the studio in Smyrna where it where it was recorded, all in their totality, you'll put this closer to 1975 than 1970. Either way, absolutely, 100% not a 60s record.

see above post it may even be 72...not 75 tho..but yeh 100% not a 60s record

how did this label survive.. must have been trading 10 years on very low sales

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

2 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

the stan z cole 45 is a comedy record  ..the november 1972 being the release date.. its on MLT 2064.. The releases all seem to fall in line.. i would estimate 1970 or even 71 for athur willis

R-10902461-1507966061-7647.jpeg.jpg

You may have a point, but I'm not entirely sure Carl Queen worked in sequential order.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Didn't Ricky Andrews sell to Carl or vice Versa (my old brain has this stored and I can't remember exactly)

Rickey Andrews answered an ad in the paper to record at Perfection Sound, with whom Carl Queen was affiliated at the time. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

51 minutes ago, chalky said:

I think the other releases immediately round it are 1972 according to 45cat etc

The one Steve Jeffries had and which resides now with Kevin was Soul Sams copy. 6 copies all together.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

agent dudes original post is 10 years old steve...  been thru ebay over a dozen times plus also a small find around 2011

yes, and they came from Ricky himself if I remember correct. Alongside his Next Time version on that yellow label.. No Arthur Willis there and then though..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

agent dudes original post is 10 years old steve...  been thru ebay over a dozen times plus also a small find around 2011

Been through ebay over a dozen times??? Are you counting bootlegs too? I've also seen no evidence of a small find around 2011, only rumor.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Agent45 said:

Been through ebay over a dozen times??? Are you counting bootlegs too? I've also seen no evidence of a small find around 2011, only rumor.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=mars+la+tour&x=22&y=7

this shows a few things from the label... no arthur willis even tho its been thru ebay at least twice..but a few rickey in there..the ones towards the bottom came from the artist.. i wonder if stevie winwood ever got to hear it

Edited by dave pinch
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, dave pinch said:

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=mars+la+tour&x=22&y=7

this shows a few things from the label... no arthur willis even tho its been thru ebay at least twice..but a few rickey in there..the ones towards the bottom came from the artist.. i wonder if stevie winwood ever got to hear it

There was one legit AW that went through eBay from the Birmingham dealer. I didn't realize you were talking about Rickey Andrews though hence my questions and confusion.

Social source share

28 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

of course it has chalky.. but it was lps in the main.. 45s tended to be made in stereo  from around 1968/69 with major labels leading the way

They were making Stereo 45's in the late 50's/ early 60's. The concept never caught on and did become more widespread in the late 60's -

flamingos.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Agent45 said:

There was one legit AW that went through eBay from the Birmingham dealer. I didn't realize you were talking about Rickey Andrews though hence my questions and confusion.

yeh stevie G`s answer to your much older post.. i would agree with chalky tho.. theres probably 10 arthur willis been found..but of course there`s bound to be a few more out there waiting to be..bloody big place you got over there

• Up vote 1
Social source share

54 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

see above post it may even be 72...not 75 tho..but yeh 100% not a 60s record

how did this label survive.. must have been trading 10 years on very low sales

14 minutes ago, the yank said:

They were making Stereo 45's in the late 50's/ early 60's. The concept never caught on and did become more widespread in the late 60's -

flamingos.jpg

I always thought the Arthur Willis was circa 68/69 rather than a 70s recording. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!