United Sounds Of Soul

What a great night and congrats to Kev, Martin and Sharon for pulling this together.

................and was it really sensible of me to get the barman to re-open the bar at about 2.30 or share a very spicey greasy kebab at that un godly hour :thumbup::D

More later when my brain re-aligns itself into the correct position within my cranium :thumbup:

QoFxx

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Martyn,Kev & Sharon

Well done all.

A bit of a trek from sunny Hull but well worth it,had a great night.Top mix of music,all dj's should be congratulated on excellent sets with Pete Hullatt just shading it for me.Pity we had to leave just as Carl & Maria were getting into full swing but the mind was willing but the body was weak :thumbup:

Loved the venue,has great potential & look forward to the next one.............when's that please?

Just a quick thanks you to the other six I travelled down with.............my sides are still aching from laughing.

Cheers

Martyn

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant and did I mention brilliant... :D

When USOS was at Holmes Chapel I always said it was a soul nite worth travelling to but then the nice people moved it nearer just for me... :thumbup:

As I walked in, I just knew it was going to be a great nite, you are always guaranteed spot on music, so that bit was already covered.

The next was the lay out, again perfect, even the smokers could just run in the door to the floor if the tune grabbed them but my fave part was the extra dance floor that was hidden round the corner...I could dance like I would in my own kitchen (quote from Shirley) but then I had my own DJ too... :(

Then when you leave the dance floor all sweaty and ungracious, you could go the back corridor so no one could see you... :lol:

The company, as ever, was outstanding...just a perfect combination of bodies from all over...

It's strange that when I mentioned to Dean and Kenny that the girls were out in force and would they like to join us, they declined... :thumbup:

To the lovely ladies on the door, sorry if we were a lttle OTT when we frst arrived but we were desperate for your job... :D

We had to leave earlier than we'd planned but my feet were so sore from dancing, I could hardly walk anyway.

Thanks to ALL involved... :lol:

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Guest Mrs Simsy

Top top night! :lol:

The laughs started when me & Denise were picked up & stopped after we were dropped home! :(

Music was great all night, danced until i could dance no more. Massive thanks to Des for the credit crunch busting record deal! :thumbup:

Sharon, Kev & Martin-well done for putting on such a brilliant soul night!

Lovely to see everyone, had some laughs with Jumping Joan (or was it Denise? :D ) at the bar, had a giggle with the smokers & told Mr Weston a secret! :thumbup::D

Thanks to Sharon for being a great friend, Sian for driving us there & back & Liane for navigating! :lol:

Pictures to follow later!x

Guest Cariad

really enjoyed, jaws still aching from laughing so much..............

Think my comment of..........it's like taking the kids to the park :thumbup: .......................... very apt indeed when out with Sian, neice & kylee yes.gif

Would have loved to have danced more, but back a bit dodgey at mo, didn't say before hand as didn't want to put a damper on the evening, but hadn't been able to walk on Friday. What little dancing I did, I thoroughly enjoyed, and it was very entertaining watching the 'kids' blow off steam............afterall it is still half-term!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

A couple of weeks off for me now till Rugby, might just have to book myself in for a swedish massage..................only when it's the tall adonis, as he is the most qualified of course :D the things I put myself through so that I can sit on the door for Sian............. think there must be a sainthood or such due for me as I'm so self sacrificing it even amazes me :D:(:lol::lol:

Guest Spinning Vinyl

Fabulous night, great quality soul tunes all the way, Shame I was late arriving but got there thats the main thing! Well done to Sharon, Kev n Martyn for all your hard work, its been a trial with all your venue changes n everything but youve SOULdiered on and seem to have found the element which makes a good night :thumbup: Great venue, great people and goodtimes had.

Ten out of Ten

:thumbup:

OK, the brain is nearly back in it's rightful place so lets see if I can string more than a couple of sentences together.

We arrived at about 7.15, thankfully the cup final didn't go into extra time so we weren't late. Kev and Martin were setting up so after the usual exchanging of pleasantries and the constant sound of me saying "what time does the bar open" I went to get changed Lou and Woody decided to come and chat to me while I was getting dressed :D:D Lou kindly providing some well needed vodka I went downstairs to kick off the proceedings.

To say that this venue has a strict OVO policy is no joke Martin then scrutinised my play box to make sure there were no iffy issues or boots :(:lol: ...................only joking, he took me on my word that all was kosher in my little box of tricks :thumbup: Big thanks to Martin Kev & Sharon for asking me to play at this great established night and I can only say it was an honour.

Knowing the DJs that were following me I felt very humble with my offerings

Monday Morning Man - Trudi

Stop Shoving Me Around - Delicates

I'm So Lucky - The Facinations

Don't Rush Me Baby - Pearlean Gray

All of A Sudden My Hear Sings - Jean DuShon

32nd Love Affair - Friday Brown

What Should I Do - Little Ann

Just Keep On Loving Me - The Halos

If You're Gonna Love Me - Chi Chi

Love - Gladys

You Let Him Get Away - Liz Verdi

When I'm In Your Arms- Terri Bryant

I've Got The Skill - Jackie Ross

I Dont Wanna Lose Him - Gigi & The Charmaines

Hand Of Fate - The Babies

So Afraid - The Opals

Play Girl - Pat Hodges

In The Nick Of Time - Toni Lamarr

You Succeeded - Sandra Phillips

Good-By Cruel Love - Linda Griner

I Don't Want To Cry - Pearlean Gray

Recovery - Fontella Bass

Call On Me - The Persionettes

I'll Be There - The Gemms

Colin followed me, first time I had heard him DJ on his own, only ever get to hear him when he is double decking at Prestatyn with some dodgy bloke from Bedford :lol: but I did warn him he may be best staying away from female vocals for the first few records as people were probably all girlied out after my set and probably be in desperate need of some of that bloke stuff laugh.gif

All the DJs really did hit the spot kept the floor moving and those of us who were there in the wee small hours were treated to some top toons from Carl And Maria and not forgetting Kev who really does have some quality records and I for one would love to hear him playing out more :thumbup: ...................oh and the dodgy bloke from Bedford played some great stuff as well tongue.gif

I really like this venue, plenty of space to dance, nice area for record dealers, friendly co-operative bar staff and reasonable prices. The hotel rooms were small but clean and tidy and served the purpose and all the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

Was great to see everyone especially two of my favourite peeps in the whole wide world, Lou & Woody. I know Sharon, last year I only saw you once and I have seen you about 4 times already this year and it's still only May, you will be fed up of the sight of me by August and thank you for the flying saucers, finished the second packet off with my bacon and eggs this morning laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hope to see you all soon............

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie

OK, the brain is nearly back in it's rightful place so lets see if I can string more than a couple of sentences together.

We arrived at about 7.15, thankfully the cup final didn't go into extra time so we weren't late. Kev and Martin were setting up so after the usual exchanging of pleasantries and the constant sound of me saying "what time does the bar open" I went to get changed Lou and Woody decided to come and chat to me while I was getting dressed :D:D Lou kindly providing some well needed vodka I went downstairs to kick off the proceedings.

To say that this venue has a strict OVO policy is no joke Martin then scrutinised my play box to make sure there were no iffy issues or boots :(:lol: ...................only joking, he took me on my word that all was kosher in my little box of tricks :thumbup: Big thanks to Martin Kev & Sharon for asking me to play at this great established night and I can only say it was an honour.

Knowing the DJs that were following me I feel very humbled by my offerings

Monday Morning Man - Trudi

Stop Shoving Me Around - Delicates

I'm So Lucky - The Facinations

Don't Rush Me Baby - Pearlean Gray

All of A Sudden My Hear Sings - Jean DuShon

32nd Love Affair - Friday Brown

What Should I Do - Little Ann

Just Keep On Loving Me - The Halos

If You're Gonna Love Me - Chi Chi

Love - Gladys

You Let Him Get Away - Liz Verdi

When I'm In Your Arms- Terri Bryant

I've Got The Skill - Jackie Ross

I Dont Wanna Lose Him - Gigi & The Charmaines

Hand Of Fate - The Babies

So Afraid - The Opals

Play Girl - Pat Hodges

In The Nick Of Time - Toni Lamarr

You Succeeded - Sandra Phillips

Good-By Cruel Love - Linda Griner

I Don't Want To Cry - Pearlean Gray

Recovery - Fontella Bass

Call On Me - The Persionettes

I'll Be There - The Gemms

Colin followed me, first time I had heard him DJ on his own, only ever get to hear him when he is double decking at Prestatyn with some dodgy bloke from Bedford :lol: but I did warn him he may be best staying away from female vocals for the first few records as people were probably all girlied out after my set and probably needed some bloke stuff wink.gif

All the DJs really did hit the spot kept the floor moving and those of us who were there in the wee small hours were treated to some top toons from Carl And Maria and not forgetting Kev who really does have some quality records and I for one would love to hear him playing out more :thumbup: ...................oh and the dodgy bloke from Bedford played some great stuff as well tongue.gif

I really like this venue, plenty of space to dance, nice area for record dealers, friendly co-operative bar staff and reasonable prices. The hotel rooms were small but clean and tidy and served the purpose and all the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

Was great to see everyone especially two of my favourite peeps in the whole wide world, Lou & Woody. I know Sharon, last year I only saw you once and I have seen you about 4 times already this year and it's still only May, you will be fed up of the sight of me by August and thank you for the flying saucers, finished the second packet off with my bacon and eggs this morning laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hope to see you all soon............

QoFxx

Great spot Chrissie and a real pleasure to meet you, loads of fun!!! I particularly liked the Friday Brown, great record!!!

Another fantastic night at what has become (for the time being anyway) the travelling soul show. AKA - United Sounds of Soul.

Nights like last night really don't come any better, a very appreciative crowd, great music and glorious sunshine!

All the Dj's played great sets from start to finish and I even got a chance to look at Carl and Maria Willingham's play boxes. Wow!!! Everyone thinks they have got one or two nice tunes, however those two play boxes were stunning, just to have the opportunity to see the rarity and quality of them was a privilege indeed. Fred & the Turbines, Wow!

Anyway here is what I played last night in no particular order.

Lee Fields - Take me back - Angle 3

Fantasions - Unnecessary tears - Satellite

Frederick Hymes III - Time ain't gonna do me no favour - Fab vegas

Cookie Scott - I don't care - Orr

Skip Jackson - I'm on to you girl - Dot-Mar

Spiedels - Dream girl - Providence

Flairs - You got to steal it - Rap

Ster-phonics - Don't leave me - Mas-tok

Claude Huey - Why would you blow it - Galaxy

Major Harris - Call me tomorrow - Okeh

Athens Rogues - She could love me - Stop

Clarence Jackson - If it don't fit don't force it - Valtone

Charles Thomas - The man with the golden touch - Loma

Gary Dean - You can say - Young

Parliaments - Heart Trouble - Golden World

Masqueraders - Do you love me baby - Wand

Invitations - Watch out little girl - MGM

Isonics - Sugar - Kammy

Ruby - Deceived - Gold Token

Paul Sindab - I was a fool - Knox

Arabians - Please take a chance on me - Le-mans

Willie & the Magnificents - Funky 8 Corners - All platinum

Temptones - Girl I love you - Arctic

Thank you to all especially Kev, Sharon and Martin for a terrific night!!!

Edited by Tony Foster

Great spot Chrissie and a real pleasure to meet you, loads of fun!!! I particularly liked the Friday Brown, great record!!!

Thank you.

Great set, love the Ruby track.

I love to see play lists from events I was at cos I can never remember who played what.........it all becomes somewhat of a blurrrrr :thumbup::thumbup: so i go through them and it all comes flooding back :D

QoFxx

Guest Mrs Simsy

Thank you.

Great set, love the Ruby track.

I love to see play lists from events I was at cos I can never remember who played what.........it all becomes somewhat of a blurrrrr :thumbup::D so i go through them and it all comes flooding back :(

QoFxx

It was a great set! :D Thought all the DJs played a blinder last night! :lol:

Pictures are up & i'm off t'pub to recuperate.

See you at the next one. :thumbup:

Guest SoulRenaissance

What a great night and congrats to Kev, Martin and Sharon for pulling this together.

................and was it really sensible of me to get the barman to re-open the bar at about 2.30 or share a very spicey greasy kebab at that un godly hour :lol:no.gif

More later when my brain re-aligns itself into the correct position within my cranium :rolleyes:

QoFxx

Another chapter in the history of the United Sound of Soul is written, with things going better than expected. Whatever we find to improve on for the next one, is outdone by the things that were good about the night. I suppose we can never rest on our laurels, to make sure this is the top rated event of it's kind in the world!

You can't beat enthusiasm, and it's what all of you attending these events in the main have. Especially the travellers from miles away. Like those from down South who were regulars from the Lea Manor days, or our 'new friends' from Yorkshire and up north, you're a great bunch.

But special mention also must go to the dj's, enthusiasm is infectious which spreads out to all assembled. And a job well done. Don't know what you lot thought, but one of Soul Sam's best spots for me in a long while mixing the styles to perfection? I'm sure he'll mention us in despatches, with him waxing about what an enjoyable pleasure it was to be djing for the crowd present when i was helping him with his gear.

It goes without saying many of the locals have been true to their word, and have given the move to the West Midlands a good hardcore of support.

The next event you may be pleased to hear takes place on Sat. 18th July, with dj's as follows: Steve Guanori, John Farrell, Jordi, Des Parker, Harpo, and yours truly. Should be a fantastic night musically covering the generes of rare soul. As not only have these guys got some of the rarest soul records made, they've also got some of the best around.

"United Sound of Soul, where we make all your dreams come true"

Thanks to my partners in crime Kevin and Sharon, who put a lot of time and leg work in bringing these nights to you with more than a little help from you lot. Thanks.

Martyn

well what can i say, fookin loved it, thought the tunes were amazing, the atmosphere superb and the company second to none, tis a great venue too,all dancefloor,was great to chat to fellow soul sourcers,well done to all those involved in organising this event, none of yr same old same old here,all the djs did a superb job in my opinion, some of them tunes were orgasmic ! ps, if u do look at kylees photos im not really bo diddley, im jason :rolleyes:

well what can i say, fookin loved it, thought the tunes were amazing, the atmosphere superb and the company second to none, tis a great venue too,all dancefloor,was great to chat to fellow soul sourcers,well done to all those involved in organising this event, none of yr same old same old here,all the djs did a superb job in my opinion, some of them tunes were orgasmic ! ps, if u do look at kylees photos im not really bo diddley, im jason smile.gif

:rolleyes::lol: thats what she meant!

Guest ktf mal

Great nite as usual...............

Arrived late due to smash on M1...and were stuck for about 45 minutes with Everton fans all over the motorway ( pissed and dancing on top of van roofs showing there bits ) :thumbup::shhh:

Anyway back to the night.........

nice place, nice people, nice music, loved the dance floor where i could hide :)

Thank's Kevin, Sharon, and Martyn

can i go bed now :wicked:

mal ( if you look at kylee photo's i'm the good looking one :lol: the ladys will know what i mean ) :lol::lol:

Another chapter in the history of the United Sound of Soul is written, with things going better than expected. Whatever we find to improve on for the next one, is outdone by the things that were good about the night. I suppose we can never rest on our laurels, to make sure this is the top rated event of it's kind in the world!

You can't beat enthusiasm, and it's what all of you attending these events in the main have. Especially the travellers from miles away. Like those from down South who were regulars from the Lea Manor days, or our 'new friends' from Yorkshire and up north, you're a great bunch.

But special mention also must go to the dj's, enthusiasm is infectious which spreads out to all assembled. And a job well done. Don't know what you lot thought, but one of Soul Sam's best spots for me in a long while mixing the styles to perfection? I'm sure he'll mention us in despatches, with him waxing about what an enjoyable pleasure it was to be djing for the crowd present when i was helping him with his gear.

It goes without saying many of the locals have been true to their word, and have given the move to the West Midlands a good hardcore of support.

The next event you may be pleased to hear takes place on Sat. 18th July, with dj's as follows: Steve Guanori, John Farrell, Jordi, Des Parker, Harpo, and yours truly. Should be a fantastic night musically covering the generes of rare soul. As not only have these guys got some of the rarest soul records made, they've also got some of the best around.

Thanks to my partners in crime Kevin and Sharon, who put a lot of time and leg work in bringing these nights to you with more than a little help from you lot. Thanks.

Martyn

What can I say thats not been said. A brill nite where the sounds and all attending are of the best of the best imho. This nite doesn't need any hype it speaks for itself... as a traveller I have attended venues that are not well attended (a lot over the past year), This nite is well attended.....not only that but having moved venue 3 times and a jump from Cheshire to Staffs the regulars followed, That speaks volumes on the sort of nite these guys put on. Try it out and be impressed like we are every time. well worth the 150 or so mile round trip.

Best Kimbo n Lisa.

Another chapter in the history of the United Sound of Soul is written, with things going better than expected. Whatever we find to improve on for the next one, is outdone by the things that were good about the night. I suppose we can never rest on our laurels, to make sure this is the top rated event of it's kind in the world! Too True Martyn We must keep up our side of the bargain, and just hope that the soul fans do so too... Too help us acheive our goal, Providing a good nite of good music for like minded people

You can't beat enthusiasm, and it's what all of you attending these events in the main have. Especially the travellers from miles away. Like those from down South who were regulars from the Lea Manor days, or our 'new friends' from Yorkshire and up north, you're a great bunch. People also traveled down from Preston and Glasgow

But special mention also must go to the dj's, enthusiasm is infectious which spreads out to all assembled. And a job well done. Don't know what you lot thought, but one of Soul Sam's best spots for me in a long while mixing the styles to perfection? I'm sure he'll mention us in despatches, with him waxing about what an enjoyable pleasure it was to be djing for the crowd present when i was helping him with his gear.(?? :ohmy: )

Martyn

Edited by munchkin

Another fantastic night at USOS. Dare I say the best one yet :D

I think losing the AP Club in Holmes Chapel was the best thing that could have happened to this night as it has gone from strength to strength.

Not going to single out any DJ because every one of them played an equal role in making Saturday night the great success it was.

And the fact that we were still up and dancing at 3.30am says it all!

Well done guys thumbup.gif

Edited by jumpinjoan

Another fantastic night at USOS. Dare I say the best one yet :lol:

I think losing the AP Club in Holmes Chapel was the best thing that could have happened to this night as it has gone from strength to strength.

Must agree with you there joan, really nervous about saturdays move but there was no need, great to see you and the boss there, and what about mr Jones unbelieveable to see him and so made up he looks well...

Cant really add anything that hasnt been said already, top night, top people and top music :lol:

Oh and the the night being in the hotel is spot on, a bit of extra time, plenty of beer with no worries about driving home and asleep 5 mins after the last record is played :lol:

Roll on the next one ( when is it BTW? )

Guest BigPaul

Nice to see some great playlists from the event

Quality tunes!

Paul it was the absolute Bollox mate :D

The music was sublime, knowledgable crowd (cept me) well up for it :unsure:

Didnt hear first spot as we were travelling, top stuff though :)

Jack Lord :D followed by Fosters Lager beer.gif and the youngster Soul Sam (thanx for Matt Lucas and The Parliaments) wink.gif

Enjoyed Gary Holymans spot sum nice modern stuff new to my ears :ohmy: four at the end a little more recognisable,would

be nice to see a playlist :yes:

Then at 2 Carl and Maria took to the Decks,bonus or what. Absolute quality :ohmy: Kev finished the night off, great stuff

mate :) Like to thank yourself, Sharon and Martin for making it possible.

The venue i liked, good dancefloor, plenty of room for punters and record dealers alike. Not fussed on the Kitchen door

onto the dancefloor though and the constant stream of our colonial friends using it as a thoroughfare :ohmy: Mind you it did

have its compensations, a dusky young maiden almost fell into my arms on one occasion :D

Superb night, whens the next one :D

Best

Paul

Guest BigPaul

ANOTHER TOP NIGHT FOR USOS,ALL THE D'JS RIGHT ON THE MONEY.SAM'S SPOT WAS A BLINDER MIXING IT BRILLIANTLY.THESE NIGHTS ARE TO BE CHERISHED,THEY JUST SEEM TO GET BETTER AND BETTER.LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

Thats what i wanted to say Woody :ohmy:

But just found meself coming out with the same old Bollox: :unsure:

Edited by BigPaul
Guest SoulRenaissance

gary hollyman played a great album track but i cant remember what it was ! anybody know what it was, sort of crossovery moderney thingy i think !

It was the New Sounds "I don't wanna lose you" i think? P-vine album track.

Martyn

Guest SoulRenaissance

Another fantastic night at USOS. Dare I say the best one yet :ohmy:

Not going to single out any DJ because every one of them played an equal role in making Saturday night the great success it was.

And the fact that we were still up and dancing at 3.30am says it all!

Well done guys :unsure:

Don't we always say the last one was the best one, which shows how good they really are? And do you always get the feeling that the next one is going to be even better?

We all seem to thinking along the same lines, maybe were psychic?

I can only echo the thoughts on the AP club. So many great nights there, but now seems so distant. God moves in mysterious ways? Thank god that's what i say.

Martyn

blinding nite well done guys and gals, wont single anyone out, because they all blended to-gether so beautifully, quality all the way from start to finish,something for every soul fan there on the night..I really enjoyed me-self, and gave the danceflor a bit of gip :)

although I can not remember going to bed, or the time, :ohmy: long live u.s.o.s. for nites like this absolutely make it all worth while,in fact I most likely live for it, and that my friends is true, its such hard work and I,m always so very in-pressed with the line-ups, and the next one has one of my most favorite DJ,s on the line up!! nowt more to be said, I only ever say the truth, but just a quickie..chrissie, you did so well, and you should be so proud of yourself :D pity no one had the camara when martyns trousers came down :D

Guest SoulRenaissance

please pm me if anyones selling this album

Good to see you too, can't remember the last time though? But always think of the early days when i first started promoting so long ago, everytime i see 'ya. And look where it's led me?

Hard LP to get. Used to see them years ago, but not anymore.

Martyn

Guest SoulRenaissance

blinding nite well done guys and gals, wont single anyone out, because they all blended to-gether so beautifully, quality all the way from start to finish,something for every soul fan there on the night..I really enjoyed me-self, and gave the danceflor a bit of gip laugh.gif

although I can not remember going to bed, or the time, :thumbup: long live u.s.o.s. for nites like this absolutely make it all worth while,in fact I most likely live for it, and that my friends is true, its such hard work and I,m always so very in-pressed with the line-ups, and the next one has one of my most favorite DJ,s on the line up!! nowt more to be said, I only ever say the truth, but just a quickie..chrissie, you did so well, and you should be so proud of yourself :lol: pity no one had the camara when martyns trousers came down :wicked:

That'd be an exclusive Lou. But now Annie's left us, it's up to someone else to take over.

Martyn

Good to see you too, can't remember the last time though? But always think of the early days when i first started promoting so long ago, everytime i see 'ya. And look where it's led me?

Hard LP to get. Used to see them years ago, but not anymore.

Martyn

the one with Robert Tanner diff mix on isn't it?

About time I posted on here, I'd just like to thank all dj's for their great sets can't single anyone out as enjoyed stuff from everyone plus we had the extra sets at the end by Carl & Maria then Kev took over so basically it was United Sound of Soul and then some. A big thanks to everyone that came to support us, peeps from all over the place not gonna name everyone as we had quite a few new faces in plus the regulars. Looks like everyone liked the room so we'll be returning there in July.

Looking forward to another great night and once again thanks to everyone your support is really appreciated.

Sharon

P.s Website has now been updated with July's details

Guest SoulRenaissance

the one with Robert Tanner diff mix on isn't it?

I think so? Original label US Turbo, pretty hard. Reissue Japanese P-Vine, hard to get.

Think I heard Robert Tanner was the lead vocalist?

Martyn

Source Advert