Walls Of Heartache, Sat June 25th, Walthamstow

Guest andys165

Guest andys165

Walthamstow's monthly classic soul/northern night opens its doors once more. As ever, you will find us at the Cavern, 524 Forest Road, Walthamstow, London, E17.

8.30-1am just £4 on the door. Everybody welcome to our friendly night of dancing, great sounds and some cool 60s film footage on the big screens.

Your genial hosts, Andy & Dave, play classic soul, Motown, Northern, rnb with guest, Taunton's finest, Mr Gary Crossing.

We'd love to see you. Check out our flyer in the gallery.

www.wallsofheartache.co.uk

"E17 rocks"

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to it already guys.

Any chance of some playlists from last month - there were one or two things that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Hope to see a few more beer towels this month too!

Also - Andy is that a reissue you are playing on that toy record player? Tut tut.

Eddie

Guest andys165

Eddie

I'll get on the case with those playlists for you, yes.

That's no reissue you dolt. That's an original Pinky & Perky DJ promo copy of 'Bacon Street' on the Hamala Motown label. How rare do you want it?

Andy

Any other pig related soul tracks gratefully received.

Looking forward to it already guys.

Any chance of some playlists from last month - there were one or two things that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Hope to see a few more beer towels this month too!

Also - Andy is that a reissue you are playing on that toy record player? Tut tut.

Eddie

link

Eddie - will post the ones I remember up on Friday

Dave

Guest andys165

As promised - and I'll do this a few weeks earlier next month - here is my second spot playlist from last month's Walls Of Heartache to give you an idea of what you can expect on Sat 25th if you head our way.

NF Porter 'If I Could Only Be Sure'

Barbara Acklin 'Just Ain't No Love'

PP Arnold 'Am I Still Dreaming'

Rita & Tiaras 'Gone With The Wind'

Impressions 'You've Been Cheatin''

Bobby Bland 'Shoes'

Mary Love 'You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet'

Mamie Galore 'It Ain't Necessary'

Sam&Dave 'Wrap It Up'

Lou Lawton 'Nik Nak Paddy Wack'

Frankie valli 'The Night'

Jr. Walker 'Shake & Fingerpop'

Bettye Swann 'The Heartache Is Gone'

Monitors 'Don't Put Off Til Tomorrow'

Billy Preston 'Midnight Hour'

Andy

www.wallsofheartache.co.uk (though the news section's still out of date)

Ah yes - it was Rita & her Tiaras - blinding tune that one. What a great intro and chorus. Repeat of that one next week please gentlemen?

Eddie

Guest Andy Kempster

Walthamstow's monthly classic soul/northern night opens its doors once more. As ever, you will find us at the Cavern, 524 Forest Road, Walthamstow, London, E17.

8.30-1am just £4 on the door. Everybody welcome to our friendly night of dancing, great sounds and some cool 60s film footage on the big screens.

Your genial hosts, Andy & Dave, play classic soul, Motown, Northern, rnb with guest, Taunton's finest, Mr Gary Crossing.

"E17 rocks"

link

i'm looking forward to it, a welcome relief half through a stressful house move

The plays that I recall:

Junior Lewis - Raise Your Hand

JJ Barnes - To an Early Grave

Fontella Bass - I need to be Loved

Artie Christopher - Stoned Soul

Christy Allen - Walk Tall Like a Man

The Blendells - La La La La La

The Tempests - I Cried for You

The Autographs - I Can Do It

Tommy Hunt - Loving on the Losing Side

Big Maybelle - How Does it Feel Now

The Elgins - Put Yourself in my Place

Carolyn Crawford - I'll Come Running

Lorraine Silver - Lost Summer Love

Betty Everett - The Shoe Doesn't Fit

Major Lance - The Beat

Candy & the Kisses - The 81

Donnie Elbert - A Little Piece of Leather

Tami Lynn - I'm Going to Run Away from You

The Fascinations - Girls are Out to Get You

Edwin Starr - Stop Her on Site

The Yum Yums - Gonna be a Big Thing

Kim Weston - Looking for the Right Guy

i'm looking forward to it, a welcome relief half through a stressful house move

link

Andy, thanks for the support - come and find us when you get in, its allways nice to talk to fellow soul-sourcers (feel free to bring flyers for Hitchin)

Dave

Edited by dkd
Guest andys165

We're very pleased to say that our good friend Gary Crossing will be heading up from Taunton to guest this Saturday night at WOH.

Gary did our opening night back in Jan and is known for his liking of keeping the dance floor busy. he is also known for ironing his shoelaces, but we won't hold that against him.

See you all Saturday evening - don't forget we have our first member's meat raffle so bring your membership cards - and let's hope it's a bit cooler by then.

Andy

Ah yes - it was Rita & her Tiaras - blinding tune that one. What a great intro and chorus. Repeat of that one next week please gentlemen?

Eddie

link

Eddie - as we both have copies and it is a favorite of my wife's I would say there is a good chance of hearinf it at sometime of the evening.

Dave

Excellent news Dave - looking forward to it.

I seem to recall that this month's guest, Gary Crossing, did an excellent spot at your opening night. I even recall hearing a touch of Spencer Davis Group, unless I've gone mad.

I have my membership card and wuill be signing in on arrival.

What prizes are up for grabs in the draw - besides the meat that is?

Also: Can I request 'Nowhere To Run' by Martha Reeves at some point as well as Rita & her Tiaras

Eddie

Excellent news Dave - looking forward to it.

I seem to recall that this month's guest, Gary Crossing, did an excellent spot at your opening night. I even recall hearing a touch of Spencer Davis Group, unless I've gone mad.

I have my membership card and wuill be signing in on arrival.

What prizes are up for grabs in the draw - besides the meat that is?

Also: Can I request 'Nowhere To Run' by Martha Reeves at some point as well as Rita & her Tiaras

Eddie

link

Eddie - I seem to recall Gary did a Soul, Motown with a bit of Northern set last time he was with us and that it was Steven Street, who guested in February, who sneaked the Spencer Davis Group in under our radar.

I will pass your request on to Gary in respect of Martha Reeves.

As to the prizes, well they are a mixture of CD's and vinyl (45's and 33's) that two lucky winners will be able to choose from. We are hoping to add a bit more variety for July.

Dave

Just like to say I came to your 'do' for the first time in May and had a really good time. As just a 'casual' Soul/Northern fan I really enjoyed the mix of music and the people.

Really looking forward to Saturday.

Only just discovered Soul-Source too, following a recommendation given to me by someone at your place, so making my first ever posting!

Keep up the good work.

Edited by RonD
Guest andys165

Ron

yes Gary has been known to earn a crust with his quill and a pile of vinyl/CDs. He's currently residing in Taunton but jumps at the chance to head this way with his bulging records bag.

Welcome to Soul Source and say 'hello' to me and dave on Saturday. Did you get a membership last month? If not, ask the ladies on the door and they'll sort it. You don't need it to get in, but it lets you enter the draw for prizes etc.

Andy

Ron

yes Gary has been known to earn a crust with his quill and a pile of vinyl/CDs. He's currently residing in Taunton but jumps at the chance to head this way with his bulging records bag.

Welcome to Soul Source and say 'hello' to me and dave on Saturday. Did you get a membership last month? If not, ask the ladies on the door and they'll sort it. You don't need it to get in, but it lets you enter the draw for prizes etc.

Andy

link

Thanks Andy I will sort out the membership on Saturday.

I'm glad I was right on Gary Crossing, was it the Record Mirror he wrote for in the 80's? I'm pretty sure thats where I remember the name.

Guest andys165

Just got back from Berwick Stret in London's famous Soho. Mr CD has a huge box of northern soul singles going for £2.50 each including a couple of decent tracks from the Jades and the Cashmeres.

Also got a text from our guest DJ tomorrow night, Gary Crossing, saying his trip from Taunton has been delayed because his street is currently under a foot of water at the moment. Just in time for Glastonbury eh - come to Walls Of Heartache instead. You know it makes sense.

We look forward to welcoming you tomorrow.

Andy

"E17 rocks"

link

Sorry if I've missed earlier thread - but who's the picture - genial host Andy or Dave ?

NB Walthamstow been recently voted best in London for teenagers - what about for our 'slightly' older age group?

Guest andys165

Slightly older is fine by us, Caister Girl. We find the teenagers tend to be sick in the toilets.

By the way - Walls Of Heartache makes a very sensible warm up for the 100 Club. The tube goes direct from Walthamstow Central to Oxford Cirucus in about 20 minutes so you could come to us first and head into town later.

Just thought we'd let you northerners know that.

map on www.wallsofheartache.co.uk

Hope to see you tomorrow night after 8.30pm

Andy

Thanks Andy I will sort out the membership on Saturday.

I'm glad I was right on Gary Crossing, was it the Record Mirror he wrote for in the 80's? I'm pretty sure thats where I remember the name.

link

Ron - Gary wrote for the Record Mirror and then went on to write for the Big Issue

Dave :thumbsup:

Sorry if I've missed earlier thread - but who's the picture - genial host Andy or Dave ?

NB Walthamstow been recently voted best in London for teenagers - what about for our 'slightly' older age group?

link

Caister Girl - the picture is, of course, genial host Andy (he's hardly changed a bit), I am genial host Dave, the slightly younger, but slightly (sic) balder one.

Look forward to seeing you Saturday.

Dave

Good night on Saturday, I especially liked the Dancers although too afraid to have a go myself. Enjoyed the mix of music as well, things I knew and fantastic tracks I had never heard before. Looking forward to July already.

Thanks to everyone who came down, hope you enjoyed the night.

Special thanks to our guest DJ, Gary Crossing for a couple excellent sets.

Dave

Another top quality night in E17 guys - many thanks.

Looking forward to the 30th and is it true you'er not doing a night in August? What's this - summer hols?

Eddie

Another top quality night in E17 guys - many thanks.

Looking forward to the 30th and is it true you'er not doing a night in August? What's this - summer hols?

Eddie

link

Eddie - thanks for the kind words. yes its true, July 30th will be our last one for the summer (we're all off to the Isle of Wight).

However we should be back with a bang for the end of September.

Dave

Source Advert