Frank Wilson. Do I Love You

I got a call recently from a US journalist writing the full warts n all story about the iconic 45.

As a former owner of the single, the journo asked me to confirm what I knew of the single's history.

He then mentioned his detailed interview with Frank who spoke of the actual session in the Autumn of 1965 at Audio Arts in California. The session players were Carol Kaye, Glen Campbell, Al Delory among others.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Following his appearance in Fleetwood in 2000, FW revealed it was recorded in LA.

I never realised 3 White session players were on the Worlds Rarest Soul 45!

Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

I got a call recently from a US journalist writing the full warts n all story about the iconic 45.

As a former owner of the single, the journo asked me to confirm what I knew of the single's history.

He then mentioned his detailed interview with Frank who spoke of the actual session in the Autumn of 1965 at Audio Arts in California. The session players were Carol Kaye, Glen Campbell, Al Delory among others.

Following his appearance in Fleetwood in 2000, FW revealed it was recorded in LA.

It's a fact Glen Campbell was a session musician in the 60s in LA. He also played on songs by Bobby Darin, Rick Nelson, the Monkees, Frank Sinatra and others. He moved to California from Texas in 1958.

Just for the record IMO Wichita Lineman is far superior to Do I Love You :boxing:

Social source share

Guest Krissii

wow i didnt know that either... always assumed it was the funk brothers....

"Just for the record IMO Wichita Lineman is far superior to Do I Love You :D "

yeah cant forget Rhinestone Cowboy as well... worth £8000000 on the "country" label :lol:

Social source share

It's a fact Glen Campbell was a session musician in the 60s in LA. He also played on songs by Bobby Darin, Rick Nelson, the Monkees, Frank Sinatra and others. He moved to California from Texas in 1958.

And he was in the Beach Boys.

Social source share

follow this link to hear Glen Campbell do a bit of NORTHERN SOUL..

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/171146/CAMPBELL,_GLEN

Glen Campbell was also in a group called the Folkswingers, and performed on some of their many tracks - I don't know if he was in the group at the time of 'Paint It Black', but this was the version that Mr SS booted on Soul Galore as the Love Sitars.

Mick

Social source share

"God Only Knows" why anyone would consider the Glenn Campbell track as soul.

WOULDN'T CONSIDER IT TO BE A SOUL TRACK MYSELF, BUT A NORTHERN SOUL TRACK....WELL SURE, THERE'S HUNDRED OF NORTHERN TRACKS, EVEN SOME LEGENDARY ONES THAT HAVE LITTLE OR NO SOUL CONTENT WHATSOEVER.

BRI PINCH.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 7TH JUNE.

BENTINCK, BACK ROOM, 19TH JUNE.

Social source share

Guest Krissii

wow and here was me thinking he was just some old don williams type

who else from country has had a go at soul then? i know about charlie rich... anyone else?

interesting....

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

reminds me of "Oh Carol" ohmy.gif

I was picking up a distinct vibe of early Adam Faith.

If there is a single beat or note in there that is Northern Soul can somebody explain.

MB

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

was she country before or after "you got your mind..."?

I'd also say during.

You've got your mind is a good example of a non soul, Northern Soul record. Adopted just because it fits perfectly with the style. IMO of course.

Social source share

The session players were Carol Kaye, Glen Campbell, Al Delory among others.

Never mind Glen Campbell - what about Carol Kaye. It's been great to see the Funk Brothers get some long overdue credit in the past few years but Carol Kaye never seems to get a mention , have you seen the things she has played on ?

Bass =>https://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/basshits.htm

and Guitar = >https://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/guitarhits.htm

Mike

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Also got presssed as "Do I Overplay You (Indeed I do)" , if I'm not mistaken!! Was great in the 70's even in the 80's but 2009 . . . move on. wink.gif

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

who else from country has had a go at soul then? i know about charlie rich... anyone else?

interesting....

Wasn't Johnny Caswell a country singer?

Social source share

Guest Krissii

thats all very interesting.... ill investigate all them further then!

respect to Glen Campbell then (who id always thought was a cock)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

thats all very interesting.... ill investigate all them further then!

respect to Glen Campbell then (who id always thought was a cock)

Glen Campell a cock? He also kicked the sh*t out of Chuck Norris, had a threesome with Raquel Wech and Dolly Parton, Taught Hendrix to play guitar, shot the possum for John Wayne's toupe, caught Lee harvey Oswald and could eat fifteen big mac's at one sitting! Glen campbell is a God! :D (PS it is a little known fact that the day of recording DILY Frank Wilson had a sore throat and Glen Campbell stepped in and did the vocals!)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

interesting....

have a recording of this love is real , which i think is best known by jackie wilson, this however sounds like dolly parton!

Social source share

interesting....

Wasn't Johnny Caswell a country singer?

im sure ray merrell was a country singer???? :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Guest SteveC

And time to take this link to one of the best non-Beach Boys songs written by Brian Wilson - given to Glen Campbel for helping them out touring

Glen Campbell "Guess I'm Dumb"

&">

Social source share

Guest rovers

vickie baines was a country girl, :D:unsure::thumbsup::D

Quality :lol::yes: .Did'nt Dobie Gray do some country ??,im sure i read it somewhere many moons ago :shades: .

Social source share

Guest newone

Quality :D:shades: .Did'nt Dobie Gray do some country ??,im sure i read it somewhere many moons ago :thumbsup: .

yep early tracks on cordak label def country

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I'd also say during.

You've got your mind is a good example of a non soul, Northern Soul record. Adopted just because it fits perfectly with the style. IMO of course.

Agreed.... i think the giveaway on that is the intro though, it sits better on a country track than a northern one - "Did you bring your gee-tar?"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert