New Style Manship Site

Guest Andy Kempster

• Replies 60
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Does Manship do a UK labels release Guide?

Dennis I have a CD database of british singles somewhere let me know if you want a copy

ATB

Steve

Social source share

Updated appearance is an improvement. Just had a quick play - looks like you can only access those artists/titles that are for sale. Think there was mention of this before, and talk of maybe a fee to access

full database.

Perhaps John can advise how this will work?

Social source share

looks really good check it out

the "browse by" no longer has the "descending" option which I used a lot (for example, browse by price descending), now I have to click on a ton of nexts and move backwards. John, can this feature be added? Also, I preferred the list view, I'm not a very visual person and it makes it harder for me to scan through and see everything (and now I can only see 36 items at a time). Any way I can still see a list? Especially with all the images saying "IMAGE COMING SOON" it just takes up space now.

Social source share

the "browse by" no longer has the "descending" option which I used a lot (for example, browse by price descending), now I have to click on a ton of nexts and move backwards. John, can this feature be added? Also, I preferred the list view, I'm not a very visual person and it makes it harder for me to scan through and see everything (and now I can only see 36 items at a time). Any way I can still see a list? Especially with all the images saying "IMAGE COMING SOON" it just takes up space now.

Totally agree!

But it looks good. Pity the soundclips don't work.

Social source share

Looks very nice!! But I am missing the view all comments click wich allowed you to view all records with the additional information at the same time !!!! Would be great if that could be added again!!! Good for getting some info as well as for selling the more obscure stuff !! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Looks very nice!! But I am missing the view all comments click which allowed you to view all records with the additional information at the same time !!!! Would be great if that could be added again!!! Good for getting some info as well as for selling the more obscure stuff !! :thumbsup:

To find "more info" comments, just click i button on the left hand side that will reveal info. Results per page has been increased and the low to high sorting is now available. Work on the site will be continuing over the following week or so as we find little things that are not quite right, we expected a few clitches.

I've just found the soundfiles, go off if you leave the page your playing them on.

The team @ I Web Solutions are superb and they will improve and rectify any little flaws that may appear over the coming days. Which you'll notice they have already changed a few things mentioned in previous comments. All Bob's comments have been put right, already.

Please be as critical as you want to be, we shall try and sort anything that bothers anyone.

We shall be adding scans of ALL our stock, but as you can imagine that's gonna be a very long job.

Only about 30% of the vinyl-info the site carries is viewable, for obvious reasons. But rest assured our next step is to open all that up for reference purposes, on a small monthly subsciption basis.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

To find "more info" comments, just click i button on the left hand side that will reveal info. Results per page has been increased and the low to high sorting is now available. Work on the site will be continuing over the following week or so as we find little things that are not quite right, we expected a few clitches.

I've just found the soundfiles, go off if you leave the page your playing them on.

The team @ I Web Solutions are superb and they will improve and rectify any little flaws that may appear over the coming days. Which you'll notice they have already changed a few things mentioned in previous comments. All Bob's comments have been put right, already.

Please be as critical as you want to be, we shall try and sort anything that bothers anyone.

We shall be adding scans of ALL our stock, but as you can imagine that's gonna be a very long job.

Only about 30% of the vinyl-info the site carries is viewable, for obvious reasons. But rest assured our next step is to open all that up for reference purposes, on a small monthly subsciption basis.

awesome, I will check this out later when I'm off work and give more feedback if I see anything else. it looks great by the way.

Social source share

Looks good...just this minute seen it, cant log in though...it says my account needs to be upgraded...whatever that means no doubt ill find out in the email thats on its way.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi John,

I know that individually for each record you have to click the i button!!!! But before you had the info individually for each record AND the option to click (show comments) on all records displayed on the page. It was just a quick way of looking at say...12 records on one page with all the info (artist price...) + the comments as well!!!!

Cheers

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

It looks better to the eyes aesthetically, but for usability it's got worse for me in that I don't want to see a load of scans of labels when searching for a record, I just want to browse through a list, and that won't improve for me when the pics are replaced by actual record scans. The more info on a page the better that's relevant for what i'm looking for, with an option to click on a list entry and see the scan if required, would be the way i'd prefer personally. So much that in reality I won't be using the site very much to search for records, as it's ease of use has diminished.

Congratulations on the nice design, but it's design over content for me at the moment, which can often happen with websites, but as John has said it's an ongoing project, so i'm not trying to kick anyone in the teeth over it, these things take time... don't lose your eye on the prize (selling records) :unsure:

cheers Paul

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

don't lose your eye on the prize (selling records) :ohmy:

cheers Paul

Hi Paul...

maybe it's just getting used to it... I went on it for 1/2 hour and bought 4 records... :unsure: and i really liked the original format...

I only went on there to be nosey.... :P

Mischief

Social source share

Everytime I hit the back button on IE, I get Webpage has expired, not sure if its my PC though.

I like Sutty, miss the list format. Also you have to click on another section to see what the condition of a record is. This is one of the first things I look for when buying tunes, which is a bit of pain.

Social source share

looks really good check it out

Its great ! And all the prices have all gone down aswell! :D

Sorry John, couldn't resist ! :lol:

Social source share

awesome, I will check this out later when I'm off work and give more feedback if I see anything else. it looks great by the way.

here are some issues:

1. It won't list the condition of the record when browsing, I have to click to display it and then click another tab to see the condition

2. the main page has an auction menu with sub-items for all items, ending this week, new, etc. that's cool as it would save me a click. however, no matter what you pick, it doesn't actually take you to the auctions, it takes you to the help page for the auctions

3. The new music player is confusing. It used to open up in a new window, I guess the player is now embedded in the top left corner of the screen. But that's confusing when you're scrolled all the way down, it took a while to figure out what was happening and even after doing that, now I have to scroll back up to the top of the screen to do anything. when you click on another link the player pauses for a second as the other page loads. it was better as a separate window

4. i still would like a list view of the records as opposed to the larger view. i like to see as many as possible on a page and don't care for the photos (and they don't add much when most have the "coming soon" image). It's similar to how in windows I hate how it defaults to the icon view and I always change it to detail view, I need more information, not more visuals

5. i can't browse the 'rarest of the rare' by label (although i do like that i can see 72 items per page on that now). i actually can't tell what it's sorting it by now actually when it initially opens up, although it looks sorted when I click "next" I think.

Edited by boba
Social source share

here are some issues:

1. It won't list the condition of the record when browsing, I have to click to display it and then click another tab to see the condition

2. the main page has an auction menu with sub-items for all items, ending this week, new, etc. that's cool as it would save me a click. however, no matter what you pick, it doesn't actually take you to the auctions, it takes you to the help page for the auctions

3. The new music player is confusing. It used to open up in a new window, I guess the player is now embedded in the top left corner of the screen. But that's confusing when you're scrolled all the way down, it took a while to figure out what was happening and even after doing that, now I have to scroll back up to the top of the screen to do anything. when you click on another link the player pauses for a second as the other page loads. it was better as a separate window

4. i still would like a list view of the records as opposed to the larger view. i like to see as many as possible on a page and don't care for the photos (and they don't add much when most have the "coming soon" image). It's similar to how in windows I hate how it defaults to the icon view and I always change it to detail view, I need more information, not more visuals

5. i can't browse the 'rarest of the rare' by label (although i do like that i can see 72 items per page on that now). i actually can't tell what it's sorting it by now actually when it initially opens up, although it looks sorted when I click "next" I think.

Bob,

Great feedback Bob, Neil the genius @ I-Web will no doubt read this today and iron out these points.

The Soul Player confused me also, then once I'd work it out WOW! you've got you're very own jukebox, fantastic tool and a highlight of the site.

I will say for those who use the site for info and not for buying. Will find it more difficult to access reams of information and that's exactly how we wanted it. But that will be changed for the info seeking visitors, when every scrap of data within the system is made available to subscribers later in the year.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest Krissii

its nice to be able to listen to things ill never hear anywhere else as well, i was looking at the willingham stuff yesterday and found about 3 tunes im coming back to buy at some point....

my only problem was using firefox with internet download manager embedded in it.... every time i refreshed the page or went to the next page it tried to add the top clip in the player to my download list instead of just playing... but its easily fixed by turning IDMan.exe off....

great site though ill def be buying some stuff!

:lol:

Social source share

I will say for those who use the site for info and not for buying. Will find it more difficult to access reams of information and that's exactly how we wanted it. But that will be changed for the info seeking visitors, when every scrap of data within the system is made available to subscribers later in the year.

My purchases are often based on my info seeking. :)

So if you have made info seek among items in stock more difficult I'll probably visit the site less.

You will still maintain your gemm.com listings I hope.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

First initial thoughts...wow, well done John, a lot of hard work which I'm sure you won't want to take all credit for, definate thumbs up on this one!!!

KTF

Baz

Social source share

My purchases are often based on my info seeking. :)

So if you have made info seek among items in stock more difficult I'll probably visit the site less.

You will still maintain your gemm.com listings I hope.

There is more info by the minute, on IN-STOCK items the info is easily found, our ultimate aim is to have info on every listing which will include full detailed credits, a label scan, Soundfile, year of release, origin of release, track listings for EPs Lps and CDs, writers and producers, and a review on recommendations & obscurities.

Matrix data for repros, bootlegs and reissues is at the moment "hidden".

It's just the OUT-STOCK-ITEMS which makes up perhaps 70% of the site data the info is slightly restricted until we launch a full-reference service later in the year. We are looking at a launch it with a total of 250,000 individual listings, which we are now getting closer to.

It's a work in progress, which i'm sure you appreciate.

GEMM listings will always be updated twice a week and are a true listings of what is IN-STOCK on the genres we post on there, there is a larger selection at the site, though.

It's early days, tweeking will continue uuntil everything works smoothly.

Social source share

I think the work that's gone into this is phenomonal, I buy the majority of my vinyl in the U.S. , so I don't consequently buy much off the website, but do understand that it's taking the P*ss to expect this sort of resource for nothing. As a ballpark figure, what do you expect the Monthly fee to be.

Des Parker

Social source share

There is more info by the minute, on IN-STOCK items the info is easily found, our ultimate aim is to have info on every listing which will include full detailed credits, a label scan, Soundfile, year of release, origin of release, track listings for EPs Lps and CDs, writers and producers, and a review on recommendations & obscurities.

Sounds good :)

I'll probably take the subscription thingy for a test drive too as soon as it's up.

Social source share

It asked me to change my log in details and then asked me for new pass word but wouldnt accept my old one screw up or what expect a phone call :)

Ted,

After you logged in first time with your old password, did you get an email with a copletion link ??

I did, and after clicking this it did ask for username and password again, and accepted it - this was yesterday (Thursday).

Could be that if that didn't work for you today there could be a glitch.

Maybe John or I web Solutions could follow that up.

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

I think the work that's gone into this is phenomonal, I buy the majority of my vinyl in the U.S. , so I don't consequently buy much off the website, but do understand that it's taking the P*ss to expect this sort of resource for nothing. As a ballpark figure, what do you expect the Monthly fee to be.

Des Parker

Des,

We figure maybe £5 or $8.00 or there abouts per month. with a hugely discounted fee for 6 months subscription. The bandwidth charges have rocketed over the years so that swallows a huge % of the revenue.. and to set this type of thing up on the web is certainlty not cheap. The info will be in-depth and accurate, so some of the info will be new and unique never before in print.

IE the Supremes "Barstool cover" LP counterfeit that has filled Ebay for years and never been discussed etc. etc...we are hoping for a mind-blowing library of soul & vinyl info and hopefully a pictorial paradise for vinyl voyuers.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

John, still not got an email advising about the loggin.....site wont let me log in mate.

All I get is this:

Login

You need to upgrade your account in order to use the new site.

You have been sent an email with instructions on what to do next.

:)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Ted,

After you logged in first time with your old password, did you get an email with a copletion link ??

I did, and after clicking this it did ask for username and password again, and accepted it - this was yesterday (Thursday).

Could be that if that didn't work for you today there could be a glitch.

Maybe John or I web Solutions could follow that up.

Mick Holdsworth

yes mick it was last night will try agin today

Social source share

Hi John

Only thing i can criticise are the prices ,any chance you could do one of those 50% sales to celebrate the launch of the new site :(

Only jesting John ,site looks great ,although i have to say i liked the old one yes.gif

Social source share

If you are looking for a specific record then its pretty much business as usual - run search on artist/title ( not sure about new system 'a side', 'b side' though... seems an added complication ) and up pops the record if its in stock.

If you are not looking for anything specific, then what I would descibe as the 'browse' facility seems to have been lost. My preferred method was to open a page eg 'Northern Soul 45s' and scan through the list of random titles. When I reached the bottom I would click 'refresh' and a whole new page of titles would appear. Using this method I found and bought a number of records which were previously unknown to me, so maybe a 'random search' could be a useful addition.

Social source share

I've just been on and couldn't access the auction items....also tried to log in...got the email....hit the link....put in my details......site said there was an error?????

I'll try again another day..... rolleyes.gif

It did that with me Phil.... said there was an error (in red across top) after hitting update link in email and entering info....

I just retyped my password in (as that had gone blank) and tried hitting update button again.... it then came up on a page stating update was successful (in red across top).... so maybe a glitch on first press of update button.... dunno....

Social source share

It did that with me Phil.... said there was an error (in red across top) after hitting update link in email and entering info....

I just retyped my password in (as that had gone blank) and tried hitting update button again.... it then came up on a page stating update was successful (in red across top).... so maybe a glitch on first press of update button.... dunno....

ok Mark thanks mate I'll try that. wink.gif

Social source share

Des,

We figure maybe £5 or $8.00 or there abouts per month. with a hugely discounted fee for 6 months subscription. The bandwidth charges have rocketed over the years so that swallows a huge % of the revenue.. and to set this type of thing up on the web is certainlty not cheap. The info will be in-depth and accurate, so some of the info will be new and unique never before in print.

IE the Supremes "Barstool cover" LP counterfeit that has filled Ebay for years and never been discussed etc. etc...we are hoping for a mind-blowing library of soul & vinyl info and hopefully a pictorial paradise for vinyl voyuers.

John

Barstool cover ,counterfeit i dont beleive you ph34r.gif
Social source share

Barstool cover ,counterfeit i dont beleive you ph34r.gif

i doubt this is what he was referring to but there is the 80s motown lookalike repress with the barstool cover, but it has the thing on the back saying 'originally pressed ...'

as an aside, i still find it infinitely funny that there is a record consistently referred to by collectors as the 'supremes stool cover'

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i doubt this is what he was referring to but there is the 80s motown lookalike repress with the barstool cover, but it has the thing on the back saying 'originally pressed ...'

as an aside, i still find it infinitely funny that there is a record consistently referred to by collectors as the 'supremes stool cover'

...some of their records are pure 'stool' IMO - I'd cheerfully go to my grave without hearing Diana Ross squeaking her way through any of those horrible show tunes that Berry Gordy had the griup record in the mid 60s...

..."Meet the Supremes" is a great LP, though.

Only had a chance to have the briefest of looks at the redesigned sit so far, but what I've seen I like. Sure there will inevitably be a few rough spots to iron out, but well played to John and his web designers for making it look as good as it already does.

Social source share

Guest swoz

nice john seems very simlar to mine but welcome on board,lets hope both our sites are a new way forward wishing you all the best old bud ....swoz

Social source share

Guest Krissii

"Hm, any chance of an indication if a ''rarest of the rare'' is for sale while browsing through them?!"

defo second that....

also (i appreciate its a LONG job) will there be soundclips of the rarest stuff ever? i wouldnt ever know what any sound like without that option, and definitely wouldnt spend £200+ blind!

regards

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!