Four Tops Best Ever Single?

• Replies 76
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

We have played it out @ Soul Galore S25 :thumbup:

Admitted it was tribute night for Levi but it is a classic track and a good "closure" song :yes:

Social source share

"Do What You Gotta Do" is truly magnificent Webby.

There are so many Tops classics, its very hard to say which was the best - but this would be up there.

Means so much to me.

A true Soul record, beautifully delivered.

:thumbup:

Sean

Do what you gotta Do is amonst my favourite records of all time no question.

I also submit the other side of Ask the Lonely

Where Did You Go-just wonderful, what a double sider :yes:

Tony

Social source share

Guest miff

Still Waters For me, just love it closely followed by, Ask the lonely / where did you go, but to be honest did Levi sing a bad song ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Loviing You Is Sweeter Than Ever" - not just their best ever Motown single, but also their best ever Motown track, full stop... :thumbup::yes:yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Krissii

wow no one has said "7 rooms of gloom" how can u miss that?!

good call on baby i need your loving....

slag me off if u want but i love still water (love) :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

So Many Good Tunes, Levi Had An Amazing Voice.

But The 3 stand outs IVHMO

Ask The Lonely

Clip My Wings

Soldier Of Love

The Git

Social source share

" your song"..same as the dells but better

I have both these and am a massive fan of The Four Tops but I have to say that The Dells version of 'Your Song' wins hands down.

Best ever FT .....toooooo many. Favourite......I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

Dont turn away...does it for me.

i saw an interview with Levi and he said IF I WAS A CARPENTER was their allround greatest work.

if you listen to it you cant argue.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i saw an interview with Levi and he said IF I WAS A CARPENTER was their allround greatest work.

if you listen to it you cant argue.

... well, I'm arguing, for one - it's not even the best version of "If I Were A Carpenter", let alone anything else!

Social source share

Guest isis

QUOTE (isis @ Jun 6 09, 12:09 AM) "Something About You"...

Can I change me mind and nominate "Clip My Wings" hadn't heard it for a couple of years and forgot all about it 'til Old Soul Git posted it (ta for the memory jogger, the only good thing about getting older is its like discovering tunes all over again) lovely jingly jangly guitar on the backing track...reminds me a bit of Darrell Banks "I'm The One Who Loves You".

Social source share

... well, I'm arguing, for one - it's not even the best version of "If I Were A Carpenter", let alone anything else!

I'm with you too, can't stand the song anyway, by anyone.

Levi Stubbs has one of the greatest voice in musical history but you can't polish a turd.

Social source share

I know we covered all this ground when Levi Stubbs died, but I love the ones we can dance to and my favourite is I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind as it still packs a floor even now. Lovely Southport Saturday afternoon tune, everyone singing along.

There was a nice little film clip a few minutes long about the making of Bernadette amongst the list of Motown 50 stuff that Jo Wallace posted up recently. They were seriously worried that calling a song by a specific girl's name would limit its appeal... :thumbup:

Social source share

I like "LOVE BURNS LIKE FIRE"...... An underestimated track, imo.

Not forgetting Penneis from heaven on riverside( which also has a beautiful mid pace-mid tempo flip, the name of which i forget!), And the columbia release Ain't that love.......two crackers from pre-Motown days.

Mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!