Attic - June

Firstly big thanks to Franc Giacobbe for spinning his tunes.The guy never let up on rareity and quality.

Would love to see a playlist !!!. wink.gif .

Secondly,bit light on numbers :ohmy: .Not sure what we're doing wrong,but i'm sure someone will tell us biggrin.gif .No reflection at all on the quality of guests,for a small club we've had some of the countries top dj's on.

Saying that,the crowd we get are a very knowlegeable bunch and love their music.Thanks for your support.

Quick mention for July 4th - 3RD ANNIVERSARY with MICK H & ANDY DYSON....and its free admission. :lol: .

Anyway here's a few from my spot....

LITTLE BEN & THE CHEERS - BABY YOU'RE MINE

JIMMY PREACHER ELLIE - I'M GONNA DO IT BY MYSELF

LOU BOND - YOU SHAKE ME UP

BOBBIE BROWN - I GOTTA HAVE YOU

LITTLE CHARLES - TWICE AS MUCH FOR MY BABY

ROSCOE ROBINSON - WHAT MAKES A MAN DO WRONG

TINA BRITT - LOOK

J.FINCH & SPECIALS - BABY YOU NEED ME

GORDON KEITH - LOOK AHEAD

SHORT KUTS - ONE WAY STREET

SUPERIORS - I'D RATHER DIE

ALCON SHADES - ALL IS FORGIVEN

BUDDY LAMP - I WANNA GO HOME

BRENDA & TABS - THAT'S IN THE PAST

ALBERT JONES - FIFTEEN CENT LOVE.

Kev. :thumbsup:

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Firstly big thanks to Franc Giacobbe for spinning his tunes.The guy never let up on rareity and quality.

Would love to see a playlist !!!. wink.gif .

Secondly,bit light on numbers :ohmy: .Not sure what we're doing wrong,but i'm sure someone will tell us biggrin.gif .No reflection at all on the quality of guests,for a small club we've had some of the countries top dj's on.

Saying that,the crowd we get are a very knowlegeable bunch and love their music.Thanks for your support.

Quick mention for July 4th - 3RD ANNIVERSARY with MICK H & ANDY DYSON....and its free admission. :lol: .

TINA BRITT - LOOK

Kev. :thumbsup:

Said it before and I'll say it again you present one of the finest little soul clubs in the land, stick with it guys and you never know the Attic maybe playing an away game in the near future in Manchester lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Said it before and I'll say it again you present one of the finest little soul clubs in the land, stick with it guys and you never know the Attic maybe playing an away game in the near future in Manchester lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Been reflecting often of late Mark. Unsure what the future holds for us, it can be a lonely game trying to get some play time to the thousands of lesser heard quality soul tunes available. Whatever we decide as a way forward we will always remember with gratitude and a smile that first really big night you gave us that set us on the way.

Very posititve night for those who were there last night, dancefloor busy to the end. Looking forward to a big night to celebrate 3 years of what we do at The Attic in July.

Kev - loved the Short Kuts track - One Way Street.

In a dash now, post my sample playlist later.

Would love to see a playlist !!!. :D .

Secondly,bit light on numbers :D .Not sure what we're doing wrong,but i'm sure someone will tell us :D .No reflection at all on the quality of guests,for a small club we've had some of the countries top dj's on.

Quick mention for July 4th - 3RD ANNIVERSARY with MICK H & ANDY DYSON....and its free admission. ohmy.gif .

TINA BRITT - LOOK

Kev. thumbsup.gif

any chance you could get a later licence ? if it went on till 2 I think you'd get more people travelling.

any chance you could get a later licence ? if it went on till 2 I think you'd get more people travelling.

Hi Dylan.This has been a sticking point for us since day one.At first it didn't seem to matter,cos we didn't know if we were going to last.As time goes on, the late licence comes more into the conversations.

Tried with the Landlord (Dave),but locals are against it cos of carpark noise spoiling their beauty sleep.

Franks an ace bloke ! true collector as well.

It might be the crowd the Attic is aimed at-most still doing all-nighters plus Cleethorpes next weekend as well.

But on our (infrequent) visits The sounds have been top draw, the crowd great and the Djs play some great spots.

Full credit to you all, may also be the 12 O'clock finish ??

Keep on Keeping on

Rob & Karen

Said I'd be at my favourite soul club, and I wasn't. 

My apologies.

I decided last minute to have a relatively inactive, non-soul night Saturday. Didn't even do a nighter this weekend. See you at the next one, hopefully.

On the punters count - why does low numbers mean you are necessarily doing something wrong? Isn't part of putting on a non-mainstream event that you accept you won't get thousands through the door?

You know how Kings Hall is way more popular than Bidds... 

Hi Dylan.This has been a sticking point for us since day one.At first it didn't seem to matter,cos we didn't know if we were going to last.As time goes on, the late licence comes more into the conversations.

Tried with the Landlord (Dave),but locals are against it cos of carpark noise spoiling their beauty sleep.

I was all set for coming on Sat myself for the first time but lad I was coming with pulled out at last minute so I never made it.

next one looks like being fantastic will try harder to get to it.

Said I'd be at my favourite soul club, and I wasn't.

On the punters count - why does low numbers mean you are necessarily doing something wrong? Isn't part of putting on a non-mainstream event that you accept you won't get thousands through the door?

This isn't a doom and gloom thread, I think anyone at the Attic last night had a good night. Indeed, nice to meet a completely new face, Paula, travelled by herself a few miles to hear something different, and looked to have a good night.

Over the last few years we've grown accustomed to the impossibility of predicting numbers. We've also grown better in accepting it, and having a good night whether it's 27 or 77, as long as it's people who want to be there. And we have had some incredible soul nights at this little 70's throwback room . . . . . some nights I swear I can smell Brut! (Perhaps it's brute and that'll be Big Paul). The problem with numbers is different as a promoter than a punter. I've had some bloody good nights in venues with only a dozen souls in. But as a promoter you want it to be as good as it can be for those who support you. This little club can be great, anyone who's been at many of the really great nights will testify to that.

I guess there's just a bit of arrogant incredulity in me Spirit - finding it hard that only 30 or so wanted to hear the sounds that Franc was going to bring to the decks, to feel the thrill of some new (to me) soul music, to chat about it like the fans we are .... (I'll edit out the rest of this rant).

God bless our regulars, breath of fresh air.

Guest Byrney

There may not have been that many through the doors but a great night was had by all.

Many necks were craning over the decks to see what Frankie love briefs was playing - that's what it's all about surely?

Keep at it chaps thumbsup.gif

This isn't a doom and gloom thread, I think anyone at the Attic last night had a good night. Indeed, nice to meet a completely new face, Paula, travelled by herself a few miles to hear something different, and looked to have a good night.

Over the last few years we've grown accustomed to the impossibility of predicting numbers. We've also grown better in accepting it, and having a good night whether it's 27 or 77, as long as it's people who want to be there. And we have had some incredible soul nights at this little 70's throwback room . . . . . some nights I swear I can smell Brut! (Perhaps it's brute and that'll be Big Paul). The problem with numbers is different as a promoter than a punter. I've had some bloody good nights in venues with only a dozen souls in. But as a promoter you want it to be as good as it can be for those who support you. This little club can be great, anyone who's been at many of the really great nights will testify to that.

I guess there's just a bit of arrogant incredulity in me Spirit - finding it hard that only 30 or so wanted to hear the sounds that Franc was going to bring to the decks, to feel the thrill of some new (to me) soul music, to chat about it like the fans we are .... (I'll edit out the rest of this rant).

God bless our regulars, breath of fresh air.

Top lines Dean.

I'd rather play to a small crowd who are there to hear some underplayed and lesser known than play to a large room full of folk wanting the same few records played over and over again any day.

Keep at it guys, few coming up from Peterborough for the next one.

Ray

Guest tonyolly

sorry i didnt attend last night .....the attic is a special little club playing something different not everyones cuppa but some like the less obvious keep up the excellent work...TONY

a sample 10 from my support spot:

Laura Lee - To Win Your Heart, Ric-Tic (I know it's too obvious but felt like kicking in with it)

The Gems - I'll Be There, Riverside

The Clovers - Try My Lovin' On You, Josie

Adams Apples - You Are The One I Love, Brunswick

Cynthia & the Imaginations - Hey Boy, blue rock

Kiki Dee - I Dig You Baby, World Pacific (Played this twice now, both times created a bit of interest)

Freddie Scott - I'll Be Gone, Shout (Kev H put me onto this, dead cheap, if you've not got it - get it)

Lou Roberts and the Marks - You Fooled Me, MGM

Clarence Reid - Part Time Lover, Alston

The De Vons - Someone To Treat Me, King.

hi kev + all,firstly thanks for the invite to dj ...sorry there wasn't more there ! but hope those who were enjoyed it!! i personally have enjoyed all my visits to the attic...always a great crowd of friendly + appreciative folk!!!!

here's a sample of my spot.....

Visitors never the less (tangerine)

Forth session would you love me too (jayville)

Chantlers in the beginning (ches love)

Vanguards good times bad times (lamp)

Creations take these memories (virtue)

Uptowners such a love (captown)

Doc oliver + surgeons tighten up your game (lucky inc)

Chansonettes don't let hurt you.... (shrine)

Other bros I'm gonna find a new love (pet)

James lately love friends and money (temple)

Emory + dynamics lets take a look at our life (peachtree)

Blenders your love has got me down (mar v lus)

Robert tanner tell me you're mine (megatone)

Cooperettes win all your love (i.b.d)

John l brown I'm losin you (like it is)

Freddie scott girl I love you (probe)

those who haven't been before check out the next one as it can't get much better with andy d + mick h as guests! no excuses!

cheers to all who gave positive comments on the night especially martyn "the scribe"!!!

franc

hi kev + all,firstly thanks for the invite to dj ...sorry there wasn't more there ! but hope those who were enjoyed it!! i personally have enjoyed all my visits to the attic...always a great crowd of friendly + appreciative folk!!!!

those who haven't been before check out the next one as it can't get much better with andy d + mick h as guests! no excuses!

cheers to all who gave positive comments on the night especially martyn "the scribe"!!!

franc

Thanks for the playlist Franc.Especially liked the Chantlers track,not heard it before. thumbsup.gif .

Again,it was a pleasure to have you down here.

I wonder if Martyn was scribing the playlist? If so you've beat him to it :rolleyes: .

franc

Stunning!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yet again I bear witness to another superb night , personally I ain't bothered that the crowd was about five down , I want the music for myself (very selfish , but hey if you don't come then tough shit ) .

Thank lads for carring the venue forward and a even bigger thanks to Frank for letting us hear some top top soul music..

Tony MAK

franc

play list looks very good would like to have heard this one :thumbsup: not seen this before....

Thanks for the support everyone, its really appreciated. Sometimes it feels like you're pissing in the wind though :unsure:

heres a few I played in the last hour

Porgy & The Monarchs - Thats My Girl

Soulful Twins - I Cant Let You Go

VIP's - You Pulled A Fast One

Exits - Under The Street Lamp

Googie Rene - There I Was

Eldridge Holmes - Gone, Gone, Gone

Creations - I've Got To Find Her

Mike Watson - I Dig Your Kind

Sam & Bill - I'll Try

Sensations - Lonely world

M-M & The Peanuts - The Phillie#

Danny Moore - Somebody New

Malibus - I Just Cant Stand It

Mighty Marvelows - I'm So confused

Eddie Holman - Eddies My Name

Little Anthony - Hurt So Bad

Cant remember any more due to alcohol induced loss of brain cells :unsure:

Big thanks to Franc who did a great spot and to everyone who turned up :thumbsup:

Dont forget next month its anniversary time again with two of the scenes top dogs Andy Dyson & Mick H

with free admission- what more could you want from a local soul night?

See ya next month :lol:

Guest Mart B

Thanks for the support everyone, its really appreciated. Sometimes it feels like you're pissing in the wind though :lol:

heres a few I played in the last hour

Porgy & The Monarchs - Thats My Girl

Soulful Twins - I Cant Let You Go

VIP's - You Pulled A Fast One

Exits - Under The Street Lamp

Googie Rene - There I Was

Eldridge Holmes - Gone, Gone, Gone

Creations - I've Got To Find Her

Mike Watson - I Dig Your Kind

Sam & Bill - I'll Try

Sensations - Lonely world

M-M & The Peanuts - The Phillie#

Danny Moore - Somebody New

Malibus - I Just Cant Stand It

Mighty Marvelows - I'm So confused

Eddie Holman - Eddies My Name

Little Anthony - Hurt So Bad

Cant remember any more due to alcohol induced loss of brain cells :unsure:

Big thanks to Franc who did a great spot and to everyone who turned up :thumbsup:

Dont forget next month its anniversary time again with two of the scenes top dogs Andy Dyson & Mick H

with free admission- what more could you want from a local soul night?

See ya next month :)

Most venues are taking a downturn in attendances wether it be the present climates fault its "not very good", or is it to many weekenders :lol: or to "many venues churning out quantity floorfillers :lol: .I could go on from that but i would be banned :unsure: .

Keep the Attic going lads dont forget THAT "Ted massey nite one of the best nites ever" :D that includes the heyday " IMHO theres no other soul nite in the area to touch you".Beleive in what youre doing "the cream always rises to the top"!.

Dont forget folk are already moaning in the area that they are sick & tired of hearing the same old same old stuff at most venues in Mansfield."hand bag & soul bag brigade" comes to mind "just my opinion" not anyone elses.

Next months got to be the BEST dj line up that Mansfields had in a long while Mick H & Andy Dyson.

At last we finally made it to the, "Attic". Though it took some time to find, as we only had the post code, after asking local's who had never heard of The Attic, we were saved after phoning Neil Underwood, who looked in the Event's calendar to find it was in the Black Bull pub :D

The minute we walked in, we knew it was our type of venue.. A special little club is a perfect description.. loved the feel of the place.

What I would like to comment on is the beginning of the thread kev, we chatted about this on the night and as I said to you, there will alway's be the majority on this scene who only want well known Oldie's, The same old same old, with wanna be Dj's and promoter's. Thing's will not change, if they were going to, they would have by now. You don't need a lot of folk in to make your night a success, it is what it is, and need's to appreciated and enjoyed. You had people in who wanted something different and were there just to enjoy a night of excellent music, something for both the collector and dancer's alike. Drink's were cheap, they sold Pernod and Black so that was me set up for the night :thumbup:

All in all the Attic lad's have a successful little club that work's, whether a little low on number's or full to capacity. The only negative thing if any, is the early closing, especially for traveller's. 1am or 2am finish would obviously be better, but your hand's are tied. We travelled from York and will definately be back some time soon as the 3 hr round trip was certainly worth it... :thumbsup:

Karen & Tony

Edited by sanquine
Guest SoulRenaissance

Thanks for the playlist Franc.Especially liked the Chantlers track,not heard it before. :lol: .

Again,it was a pleasure to have you down here.

I wonder if Martyn was scribing the playlist? If so you've beat him to it laugh.gif .

I'm sure Frank probably missed something, so i'll check my list?

Seriously entertaining and educational spot from Frank, with some i knew (including many favourites). And some i didn't know.

Like i said on the night one of the best nights here musically i've heard, which also goes for the regular guys too. I only wish some of the regular nights made an effort, and could be a reason i don't support them. Cause they're ...... crap!

But a good point about the later liscence. Maybe a move to another venue, as there's nothing wrong with the product. I had similar problems at one of my venues years ago.

Martyn